My first and last cruise on Holland America

I've done 10 cruises (mainly RC and Princess) and nine trips with Road Scholar. Next March I'm sailing for the first time on HAL (Rotterdam) with Road Scholar. I'm in my late 50s so I'm always one of the younger people on RS trips, but I don't mind. I've met some amazing people on those trips and I'm looking forward to my first HAL cruise. I understand the entertainment won't be close to what I experienced on Allure last month but that's fine, especially since RS will provide lectures on the ports, as they did on the Princess cruise I took with them (Pacific coast wine country).

I'm a huge reader and I always have my kindle loaded up. I'm also looking forward to checking out the library on HAL, since from what I've heard, it's the only mainstream line that still has decent-sized libraries. I'll never forget when I was on RC's Brilliance, determined to find the library which was labelled on the map, and realized the "library" was a bookcase in one of the lounges.

I've done 10 cruises (mainly RC and Princess) and nine trips with Road Scholar. Next March I'm sailing for the first time on HAL (Rotterdam) with Road Scholar. I'm in my late 50s so I'm always one of the younger people on RS trips, but I don't mind. I've met some amazing people on those trips and I'm looking forward to my first HAL cruise. I understand the entertainment won't be close to what I experienced on Allure last month but that's fine, especially since RS will provide lectures on the ports, as they did on the Princess cruise I took with them (Pacific coast wine country).

I'm a huge reader and I always have my kindle loaded up. I'm also looking forward to checking out the library on HAL, since from what I've heard, it's the only mainstream line that still has decent-sized libraries. I'll never forget when I was on RC's Brilliance, determined to find the library which was labelled on the map, and realized the "library" was a bookcase in one of the lounges.

Virtually all HAL's ship's library's are a thing of the past. Another reason I stopped sailing HAL.

Billboard's twin piano's are where most of the library's were, now a few book's in the Crow's Nest

I have to agree, the Zaandam singers on our July 30 sailing were the best of any ship’s singers from all our cruises. Every show may not have been my favorite, but they were by far the most talented group we’ve seen. A definite improvement!

There were far more EXC lectures and talks than on any previous sailing. EXC Guide Jeanette was so informative and added a local touch, which enhanced the Alaska experience.

I agree. I really enjoyed Jeannette's talks, and enjoyed that she was from Alaska. I thought that was so cool that she could go home and visit for a day while she was on board when we docked up near her home.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Rotterdam still have a dedicated Library anyone ???????

Rotterdam still have a dedicated Library anyone ???????

She did when we were on. A beautiful one at that.

New HAL passengers were absolutely enthralled with it.

I don't believe anything was done to it during drydock.

She did when we were on. A beautiful one at that.

New HAL passengers were absolutely enthralled with it.

I don't believe anything was done to it during drydock.

On the Noordam, Eurodam, Oosterdam and Maasdam, the last four I sailed before I quit HAL in 2016 the Library's were gone to a little section in the Crow's Nest and I understand are gone on HAL's two new ships along with seating on the Promenade Walk, my other favorite relaxing area after dinner listening quietly to the "ocean" music.

Your upcoming HAL trip sounds intriguing. Does Road Scholar charter the whole ship or is it just a very small group? If your group has lectures using the ship's spaces, are they open for others to drop in and listen in on?

What is the focus of that particular sailing?

On the Noordam, Eurodam, Oosterdam and Maasdam, the last four I sailed before I quit HAL in 2016 the Library's were gone to a little section in the Crow's Nest and I understand are gone on HAL's two new ships along with seating on the Promenade Walk, my other favorite relaxing area after dinner listening quietly to the "ocean" music.

We sailed on Maasdam at the end of last year(2017), the library was situated on the Upper Promenade Deck as it was the previous year when we sailed on her.

I understand from passengers currently on board Maasdam that the Library remains in that situation.

Yes the Vista & Signature ships were modified for the new EXEC look. Koningsdam had no library to speak of on board when she was launched.

I believe the S & R ships of which the Rotterdam is one, (as well as the P'dam) have not had their libraries altered. They are not in the Crow's Nest.

Yes the Vista & Signature ships were modified for the new EXEC look. Koningsdam had no library to speak of on board when she was launched.

I believe the S & R ships of which the Rotterdam is one, (as well as the P'dam) have not had their libraries altered. They are not in the Crow's Nest.

When I was on Zaandam [R] just after drydock in April, her library was still on Deck 8 by the MDR - with a full-complement of books and reading areas.

When I was on Zaandam [R] just after drydock in April, her library was still on Deck 8 by the MDR - with a full-complement of books and reading areas.

We were on the Zaandam in May and the library was on Deck 5 around the Explorations Cafe. Tons of books, library tables with puzzles and comfy chairs to stare out onto the water.

We were on the Zaandam in May and the library was on Deck 5 around the Explorations Cafe. Tons of books, library tables with puzzles and comfy chairs to stare out onto the water.

You are right - I mixed up deck numbers with Maasdam - which I was on last.- Similar set-up.

I sail for itineraries and I also never say never. Usually I sail NCL or Carnival but we have been on HAL Maasdam for Canada New England and are toying with Voyage of Vikings next year. But does anyone really sail for the food on a mass market line anymore? You won't starve, but I never get it when people say the food was great on any mass market line. It's pretty much university residence cafeteria food, and no, I do not eat in specialties usually but we DID eat in Canelleta (I think I've got the name wrong) and it was probably the worst meal on the ship. Again, this bothers me not a bit - I sail for itineraries not food or entertainment. But I think the OP may have a point, GF issue nothwithstanding.