My first and last cruise on Holland America

To the OP, I think your dining experience was just bad luck. I'm not making excuses for HAL. I don't blame you for this being off-putting, but I do know this is not typical of their service.

I do, however, think your complaint about activities certainly is typical of HAL. As some others have said, entertainment/activities is probably HAL's weakest attribute.

Your coffee experience was definitely opposite of my HAL cruises. Usually it's so dark and strong that 5 creamers still don't cut it. ;)

Not to negate the OP at all, but sometimes I wonder, how much do some people like simply being out at sea? That is the fundamental and precious aspect of a cruise, for me. Sure, I’m disappointed on occasion, by whatever. Yet I like the Holland America ships, and the time on the water is so different than the rest of my year, and so good.

Not to negate the OP at all, but sometimes I wonder, how much do some people like simply being out at sea? That is the fundamental and precious aspect of a cruise, for me. Sure, I’m disappointed on occasion, by whatever. Yet I like the Holland America ships, and the time on the water is so different than the rest of my year, and so good.

This!! (y)(y)

HAL is not known for it's entertainment and activities. I do not think anyone will dispute that except perhaps the most strident cheerleaders.

Your food experience was not good however we feel that there is so much inconsistency between cruise ships and cruises that you could have had the same experience on other cruise lines, various ships within those cruise lines.. The variable is not only the cruise line. It is the ship, the crew, the ship management, and the particular cruise.

I am sorry about your experience. I have taken many cruises on different lines, and have never had a bad experience. Have I just been fortunate? I really do not know. I do know that I feel very privileged to be able to take a cruise, to breathe in the sea air, to see different places, be pampered, and not have to cook. Ultimately, life is what we make it. I wish you well on another cruise line that may be more to your liking. Perhaps my expectations are lower than yours.

I am sorry about your experience. I have taken many cruises on different lines, and have never had a bad experience. Have I just been fortunate? I really do not know. I do know that I feel very privileged to be able to take a cruise, to breathe in the sea air, to see different places, be pampered, and not have to cook. Ultimately, life is what we make it. I wish you well on another cruise line that may be more to your liking. Perhaps my expectations are lower than yours.

I feel the same way!

Totally agree. (y)(y)(y)

Let's just keep in mind, that not everyone wants to be at sea. Some want to be in a city within a city on board. And, there are ships that do that. We just had one pull up in our port a full days ago.

That's not my cup of tea and probably not many responding here but it does offer a lot more activities.

So, it might be an option for the OP. We all need to make choices - for us - it's the sea, great itineraries and great service. It's not the same for others ;)

Let's just keep in mind, that not everyone wants to be at sea. Some want to be in a city within a city on board. And, there are ships that do that. We just had one pull up in our port a full days ago.

That's not my cup of tea and probably not many responding here but it does offer a lot more activities.

So, it might be an option for the OP. We all need to make choices - for us - it's the sea, great itineraries and great service. It's not the same for others ;)

You’re right. I have family that I try to get to join us for a cruise, and it is indeed the other stuff (i.e., not specifically seagoing) that I feel is my best hope for enticing them some day.

:)

We sailed to Alaska from Seattle for 14 nights on the Zaandam. We have previously sailed Carnival (1), Regency (1), Norwegian (3) and Oceania (4).

Our room was nice, our cabin attendant was lovely and attentive. The ship was clean and furnishing were nice. The itinerary was fine. The price was very reasonable.

The food was sometimes good, and usually ill-prepared and uneatable. This was both in the main dining room and the buffet upstairs. The orange juice tasted like powdered Tang, and the coffee was so weak you could almost see through it. Sometimes meat was so rare it was raw, and when sent back, it came back like shoe leather. Mushroom omelettes had mushrooms floating in lots of liquid. Vegetables were overcooked.

Several people in our group of 7 have celiac disease. It was important to sit at the same table with the same wait staff for all dinners, so that the correct gluten free meals could be ordered. It took 4 nights to get this arranged, and that only after a discussion with the dining room manager.

There were very few on board activities that didn't involve a fee of some sort. Very few lectures or educational activities. Movies were shown during the dinner hour.

I told all of this to the powers that be midway through the cruise. They, of course, are unable to change the situation because poor management starts at the top down.

My last Holland America cruise. Someone else can have my cabin.

We took a 14 day HAL and it was the best cruise ever .I too am Gluten Free and the food was delicious.

We are not looking for 'a city within a city' but we do like to see some reasonable entertainment when we are on a cruise. Not looking for ice rinks or slides either. On the other hand, if we wanted to spend a week or two in a retirement home it would be much easier to drive over to one where we live. There is some middle ground.

Edited by iancal

Perhaps with this persons limited cruising experience, they were expecting An Oceania experience at Norwegian prices. Our experience is were you find a line that delivers an experience and price you like stay with that line. All lines give perks to loyal customers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:cool: There is no such thing as a "Road Scholar"

You shouldn’t advertise ignorance so bluntly. Road Scholar is an educational travel service/program which sponsors/organizes all sorts of educational and hands on travel - on cruise ships and ashore: focusing on archeology, history, the environment (sea turtle rescue programs, marine biology, etc.). They have bee around for about 40 years.

You shouldn’t advertise ignorance so bluntly. Road Scholar is an educational travel service/program which sponsors/organizes all sorts of educational and hands on travel - on cruise ships and ashore: focusing on archeology, history, the environment (sea turtle rescue programs, marine biology, etc.). They have bee around for about 40 years.

I still remember them as Elderhostel, their founding name back in 1975.

We are not looking for 'a city within a city' but we do like to see some reasonable entertainment when we are on a cruise. Not looking for ice rinks or slides either. On the other hand, if we wanted to spend a week or two in a retirement home it would be much easier to drive over to one where we live. There is some middle ground.

And similarly, if we wanted to spend a week or two at an amusement park or in Las Vegas, we could easily do that instead of going to sea.

Middle ground in terms of activities and entertainment in cruising is certainly something to strive for, but usually easier said than done.

My thoughts exactly. Well said.