Thermal Spa on NCL Getaway

heatherthompson

It really depends on what you want. I wanted a nice quiet place to relax and read on a full ship since I didn't have a balcony. For me, it was worth it. The thermal pool was also good for relaxing my sore back. If that is something you want, I would say yes.

IS it worth it? That is an impossible question to answer. It is a nice relatively quiet area, with a pool that is uncrowded, nice loungers, a steam room, a sauna, and a number of similar venues. The question is will you use it anough to justify the cost and only you can make that choice. I always buy the pass.

Is it worth spending the additional $200 for the thermal spa access on the NCL getaway? I would appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

In my opinion, no. I sailed May2018 Pearl to Alaska and found too much to do. We went first sea day and waters were choppy and mix with one drink, Queasy! Thermal pool made it worse. Went one other day but did not get money’s worth. Would spend dollars Elsewhere. Always found spa empty, for right person this is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my opinion, no. I sailed May2018 Pearl to Alaska and found too much to do. We went first sea day and waters were choppy and mix with one drink, Queasy! Thermal pool made it worse. Went one other day but did not get money’s worth. Would spend dollars Elsewhere. Always found spa empty, for right person this is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you very much. I am cruising for the first time and I am wondering if I may have time to use it given all the different things I may get to experience, thus asked.

Is it worth spending the additional $200 for the thermal spa access on the NCL getaway? I would appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

We think so. We buy a Thermal Suite pass on every cruise. It's a place to escape, relax, and unwind after busy days touristing. The following links have some Getaway Thermal Suite photos from a couple of weeks ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56772579&postcount=51

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56772609&postcount=52

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56772616&postcount=53

We think so. We buy a Thermal Suite pass on every cruise. It's a place to escape, relax, and unwind after busy days touristing. The following links have some Getaway Thermal Suite photos from a couple of weeks ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56772579&postcount=51

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56772609&postcount=52

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56772616&postcount=53

Pictures are lovely!! I thought one of the excursions on the getaway western Caribbean route had a spa/massage option, but, for some reason I cannot seem to find that. However, these pictures make me want to splurge! Is it best to get it before hand or on the ship? I understand there maybe a $20 discount for purchasing it in advance?

Pictures are lovely!! I thought one of the excursions on the getaway western Caribbean route had a spa/massage option, but, for some reason I cannot seem to find that. However, these pictures make me want to splurge! Is it best to get it before hand or on the ship? I understand there maybe a $20 discount for purchasing it in advance?

There is a discount for booking online in advance. We had a spa mini-suite, so I didn't pay attention to the pre-cruise and on-board prices.

Many of the beach resorts have spa people on the beach giving massages. In Roatan, we went to Tabyana Beach Party and there were spa people [constantly] asking if people wanted a massage on the beach.

We have always booked spa cabins on the Getaway. Like myself, if you cannot get a lot of sun, the spa is a wonderful place to relax. No children allowed either. My experience tho is that it does get very busy on sea days, but I have always found a lounge chair, maybe not the heated one, but that is OK. Enjoy!

One thing to keep in mind is that you can tour the Spa on embarkation day. My wife and I weren't sure and we toured one (I think it was the Getaway) and the tour helped us decide it wasn't for us. If you are unsure, I strongly encourage you to tour it first.

The spas on the NCL “away” ships are amazing. Just being able to relax any time in the quiet with the wonderful views really makes the ship for us. The pool is wonderful too. DH swears by it for his neck and back. I would rather have this all week for not much more than the price of a massage, which may or may not be good. ( We have had both). If you don’t buy the pass ahead of time, just be aware that the weekly passes are very limited and can sell out very early on the ship. If you do get a pass, bring an insulated tumbler (no glass) so you can bring a drink if you want a cocktail or soda or ice tea in there with you. Great place to relax with your kindle and a drink. They may tell you that there is a limited time per visit on the thermal loungers, but you can stay longer if they aren’t all filled. They don’t really enforce it. But I do limit myself and move to a regular lounger if it is busy and people may be waiting for a heated one.

Looking forward to our 14 days on the Bliss Panama Canal cruise in a spa cabin.

Mary Ann

IS it worth it? That is an impossible question to answer. It is a nice relatively quiet area, with a pool that is uncrowded, nice loungers, a steam room, a sauna, and a number of similar venues. The question is will you use it anough to justify the cost and only you can make that choice. I always buy the pass.

So am I understanding that the loungers in the thermal area don't really fill up? We are also considering the pass. For 2 people it will run us $400 or so dollars...

The heated loungers can fill up on sea days especially. But even then some will be open at different times. There have always been regular padded loungers available. On 6 cruises with spa passes, I can count the times on one hand I had to wait for a heated lounger and then I got one within 15 minutes. Maybe once or twice on a very busy time I ended up leaving to do something else without getting a heated lounger. Each cruise is different though, so ymmv. The passes are limited just so it doesn’t get overcrowded.

Mary Ann

As others have mentioned it depends what you are looking for. For me, the Dawn and Star have the best thermal suites because I believe they are the only ones that have a real swimming pool besides the hydrotherapy pool and hot tub. When we were on Dawn last year, my husband and I were often the only ones in the pool in the thermal suite. Up on deck you could barely get in the pool never mind trying to swim laps.

We have also used the thermal suite on Gem. It was very relaxing and had awesome separate men and women saunas with views out of the front and side of the ship. It was relaxing to have some space away from my husband since we are not used to spending so much time together ;). We would go to the thermal suite together then split up to go to the saunas and showers. We would meet back up in our cabin.

If you want an uncrowded place to relax it is worth it.

There is a discount for booking online in advance. We had a spa mini-suite, so I didn't pay attention to the pre-cruise and on-board prices.

Many of the beach resorts have spa people on the beach giving massages. In Roatan, we went to Tabyana Beach Party and there were spa people [constantly] asking if people wanted a massage on the beach.

Thank you again!!

As others have mentioned it depends what you are looking for. For me, the Dawn and Star have the best thermal suites because I believe they are the only ones that have a real swimming pool besides the hydrotherapy pool and hot tub. When we were on Dawn last year, my husband and I were often the only ones in the pool in the thermal suite. Up on deck you could barely get in the pool never mind trying to swim laps.

We have also used the thermal suite on Gem. It was very relaxing and had awesome separate men and women saunas with views out of the front and side of the ship. It was relaxing to have some space away from my husband since we are not used to spending so much time together ;). We would go to the thermal suite together then split up to go to the saunas and showers. We would meet back up in our cabin.

If you want an uncrowded place to relax it is worth it.

Thank you very much!!

We have always booked spa cabins on the Getaway. Like myself, if you cannot get a lot of sun, the spa is a wonderful place to relax. No children allowed either. My experience tho is that it does get very busy on sea days, but I have always found a lounge chair, maybe not the heated one, but that is OK. Enjoy!

We have a Spa Mini Suite booked for November 2019. I'm looking forward to trying all of it out.