Heights - embarking/disembarking gangway

V_Flagship

Hi all,

As a first time cruiser I wondered if anyone can put my mind at rest about something? I haven't given it much thought upuntil now but as it gets closer I'm getting increasingly anxious. So theproblem is this... I have a bad fear of heights. Once I’m on the ship I think I’llbe fine (probably keep my distance from the edge!) but I feel really nervousabout the boarding process! Does anyone have experience of boarding the Silhouette fromSouthampton (or any other port for that matter) and can offer insight into how high the gangway is and how long ittakes to walk across anything precarious? Also, is embarking and disembarkingalways done from the same doors at the same height in each port?

Thanks for any help.

Typically, at most cruise terminals, embarkation and disembarkation is done at a higher deck, via a glass enclosed ramp, or at least a ramp that is covered, and has canvas sides up to the handrail heights. Ports of call are typically done from a lower deck, only a few feet (most ports less than 10 feet high) above the dock height. This will be an open gangway with handrails. The total length of a port of call gangway is about 25-30 feet, and you would be over the water for about 5 feet. The embarkation ramp is maybe 30-40 feet as the last section going across from the terminal to the ship's side, but again, this is more enclosed.

When boarding at Southampton you will be within an enclosed air bridge similar to those used at airports albeit a lot longer and ascending over a few levels. From memory you usually arrive on the Solstice class ships on deck 4/5. Other ports will have a variety of walkways (often exposed to the elements, rather than the enclosed air bridge at Southampton) that can be reasonably level or steep, depending on tides, etc. However, in general they are located on the lower decks 3-5 and there are always handrails on both sides of the walkways and staff are on hand to assist passengers. You just need to take your time and use the handrails on any walkways that are exposed to the elements. I hope you enjoy your inaugural cruise and have the opportunity to enjoy many more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Woodsmiths has described the situation in Southampton well. I think you will feel more in a ‘tunnel’ than exposed to heights. Disembarking at different ports during your cruise may be more open. Don’t be afraid of asking staff for help if you need it.

Hi all,

As a first time cruiser I wondered if anyone can put my mind at rest about something? I haven't given it much thought upuntil now but as it gets closer I'm getting increasingly anxious. So theproblem is this... I have a bad fear of heights. Once I’m on the ship I think I’llbe fine (probably keep my distance from the edge!) but I feel really nervousabout the boarding process! Does anyone have experience of boarding the Silhouette fromSouthampton (or any other port for that matter) and can offer insight into how high the gangway is and how long ittakes to walk across anything precarious? Also, is embarking and disembarkingalways done from the same doors at the same height in each port?

Thanks for any help.

I am scared of heights and my fear has never been triggered when getting on or off the ship. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off Silhouette in Southampton and agree with prior posts about gangway heights. No problems with embarking and disembarking from most beginning/ending places...nicely enclosed and not too "slanty", since most people are carting along small carryons.

As mentioned, the height of the stairways in other ports varies, as the stairways are often provided by the port authorities (as they were on several of our recent Ireland and Iceland stops) and is determined by the tides as well. You can get off at one angle and reenter on another sometimes.

However, tho I am a bit afraid of heights, I am fine on these entries and exits, as there are many crew members at the top, bottom, and even in the middle ready and willing to assist and reassure. Many other people in chairs, on canes, etc are taken care of by the staff as well.

I am scared of heights and my fear has never been triggered when getting on or off the ship. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

The same applies to my husband. He cannot lean of the balcony rail but has no problem embarking and disembarking the ship in any situation.

At Southampton it will almost certainly be Deck 5 where you embark - this is the Silhouettes Promenade deck and it allows Celebrity / The Port Authority space to set up a checking station as you board - followed by the complementary fizz. Each time we've been from Southampton with Celebrity this security station has been Port side by the Forward elevators / Photo Gallery.

IIRC you walk up the enclosed ramp and step directly onto the ship there is no precarious or bit that your consciously aware that you're over the water - just look ahead and follow the people in front of you - it's as easy as walking onto a plane.

I am also very scared of heights - I don't even like standing on a chair! - and have had zero problems embarking/disembarking cruises (nor going on and off in ports).

As an aside, when are you cruising? We are on Silhouette on Sunday :)

I have significant problems with heights and get some vertigo so am a rather extreme case. My experience boarding (only in US ports) has been you walk through jetway type tubes until the very last bit. The last bit is an open walkway across to the boat deck. This is usually quite high for me. What I do is make sure I am at the front of our group, wait until the passenger in front of me has gotten all the way across, then scurry across as quickly as possible. Taking glasses/sunglasses off can help as it doesn’t accentuate the edge. Fortunately the welcome bubbly is not too far to calm the nerves.

In the Caribbean ports the gangways are much lower so those aren’t issues.

I am also very scared of heights - I don't even like standing on a chair! - and have had zero problems embarking/disembarking cruises (nor going on and off in ports).

We are in Silouette on Sunday !! First time too . Excited

Once I’m on the ship I think I’ll be fine (probably keep my distance from the edge!)

You certainly will! Besides fear of heights I also hate flying. But: however horrible the flight, I have no feeling of a fear of height.

The same thing happens, to me at least, on the ship. I don't like it on the 10th floor in an appartment building. At the same time, I love to lean on the railing at deck 12, which is even heigher, looking at the waves.

Indoor lifts with windows on the outside: no problem.

Fear of heights is already irrational, and for me at least, the sudden absence after embarking a ship adds a bit to that :D

Oh, I had forgotten the lifts. My husband has problems with those mid-ship because they are partially glass. He is OK if he stands close to the door the glass is at the back. People understand his partial blocking of the entrance if he says he cannot stand by the glass.

If they are a problem for the OP, there is another bank of lifts with no glass sides.

Us too!!

Thanks for all the comments, made me feel much better about the situation.

Another thought re gangways in port: Ask to use the crew gangway if you feel you will have a problem. (We took advantage of these gangways when my sister had a problem with her back, thus impeding her ability to climb the pax gangway steps.) They are always lower than the passenger one, and are almost level with the dock!

Donna

Edited by George'sGal
added text