So what happens after your itinerary is changed?

Shoppie124

I am not on the ships that have changed their itinerary due to the hurricanes - I feel for those affected because they are not getting what they paid for....

What happens to the money paid for excursions? I presume with NCL, they just credit you... what about direct bookings with outside vendors?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This happened to me when our itinerary changed from Eastern to Western. I was able to contact the vendor and cancel and receive a full refund. Also with this particular vendor their policy is if at the last minute the ship is unable to get into port they waive the 48 hours and issue a refund. I think their policy was 48 hours ahead. It will vary from vendor to vendor.

Excursions booked through the cruise line will be refunded in full. Independent excursions are buyer beware. Honest providers will refund any monies paid, others may not. It is unlikely you would have any recourse against an independent contractor in a foreign country outside of a chargeback on your credit card.

I always check for a policy that there is no charge if your ship does not call at the port. And yes, many require you to contact them for a refund if you gave a deposit. NCL automatically cancels and refunds their excursions. And adjusts port fees.

This happened to me when our itinerary changed from Eastern to Western. I was able to contact the vendor and cancel and receive a full refund. Also with this particular vendor their policy is if at the last minute the ship is unable to get into port they waive the 48 hours and issue a refund. I think their policy was 48 hours ahead. It will vary from vendor to vendor.

We try to make sure that any private excursion vendors will not charge (or will refund any advance payment) if the ship doesn't make it to the port, or arrives too late, or such.

OTOH, our travel insurance would probably cover such a loss.

Often, the vendors expect payment in cash on the spot, so that's another protection. Others charge in advance by charge card (for a deposit or in full), and in those cases, we have email confirmations that they'll refund if the ship misses the port/etc., so worst case, we'd file a dispute. (But I doubt most vendors would want to risk having charging usage pulled if there were complaints that they didn't honor that assurance, or such.)

Also, most excursion vendors do rely at least in part on word of mouth, be it here or on Trip Advisor, etc.

But the main real risk would be if someone forwarded cash/check, rather than having any pre-payment by charge card.

As far as passengers whose itinerary was changed "not getting what they paid for" (and this attitude shows up somewhat frequently when there's a change), well... they are getting exactly "what they paid for", as the terms of the cruise include any necessary change of itinerary. It happens.

Perhaps what OP meant was that passengers were not getting the itinerary that they were expecting, and yes, that can be *very* disappointing.

The way OP phrased it makes it sound like it was a consumer rip-off. It isn't.

"Stuff happens", and ships aren't changing itineraries on whims.

No Captain or cruise line HQ wakes up some mornings and decides, "Heck, let's have the ship skip Port A and go somewhere else this time because I'm bored and want to annoy the passengers..." :evilsmile:

GC

The way OP phrased it makes it sound like it was a consumer rip-off. It isn't.
Please, OP never phrased or implied any such thing and if you inferred such, that is on you.

"Stuff happens", and ships aren't changing itineraries on whims.

No Captain or cruise line HQ wakes up some mornings and decides, "Heck, let's have the ship skip Port A and go somewhere else this time because I'm bored and want to annoy the passengers..."

So glad you said all this becuase so many people thought for sure that is exactly what NCL did this week on the east coast :rolleyes:

For clarity sake, I didn’t mean to imply people are being ripped off. The option to change in ports is written in the contract of carriage.

I am merely showing empathy for those who were excited for the itinerary they booked and for a couple hurricanes to derail their vacation plans.

I’m curious to hear how this is handled since my next cruise is during hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Typically when you miss a port (e.g. bad weather prevents docking), you also get a refund of the port fees for that port. For the Bermuda folks this week, I imagine the Bermuda port charges will be offset by the port charges in the New England / Canada ports.

With private excursions, it's important to know their policy regarding cancellations and if the ship never gets to the port. Most reputable operators will refund if the ship misses the port.

For clarity sake, I didn’t mean to imply people are being ripped off.
Your message was crystal clear, no further clarification needed.

What you forgot was the obligatory "NCL is the best thing that ever happened to humankind", and because you forgot to say that, the assumption by some is that you are bashing NCL.

when i book a private excursions, i contact the tour company and tell them i am a cruise ship passenger and that my itinerary can change at any moment. I also bring with me all of their contact information like phone number, email, etc. so i can contact them on the ship if needed

I am not on the ships that have changed their itinerary due to the hurricanes - I feel for those affected because they are not getting what they paid for.... What happens to the money paid for excursions? I presume with NCL, they just credit you... what about direct bookings with outside vendors?

Considerations are

NCL Shore Excursions: Automatically cancelled and refunded. Normally, the cruise line is still negotiating tours with local vendors at the new ports of call, so you won't be able to book new excursions until you are on the ship.

Private Excursions: You must work the cancellation with the company you contracted with. What you get back is based on their cancellation policy and how easy it is to get in contact with them (remember, they are getting ready for a hurricane).

On board activities: You're likely going to want to replan your onboard activities based on your new itinerary. You may be able to do by phone pre-cruise if you got enough warning. More than likely, you'll want to have a list of changes and immediately go to the Theater and Restaurant Reservations.

While I always try to find vendors with favorable refund policies in the event the ship misses a port, it isn't always possible - especially in Europe. As a back up, I usually buy a travel insurance policy specific to cruises that provides compensation for missed ports.

Your message was crystal clear, no further clarification needed.

What you forgot was the obligatory "NCL is the best thing that ever happened to humankind", and because you forgot to say that, the assumption by some is that you are bashing NCL.

Thanks for the heads up.. no bash here...

Maybe I should end all my statements with that phrase. ;-)

Considerations are

NCL Shore Excursions: Automatically cancelled and refunded. Normally, the cruise line is still negotiating tours with local vendors at the new ports of call, so you won't be able to book new excursions until you are on the ship.

Private Excursions: You must work the cancellation with the company you contracted with. What you get back is based on their cancellation policy and how easy it is to get in contact with them (remember, they are getting ready for a hurricane).

On board activities: You're likely going to want to replan your onboard activities based on your new itinerary. You may be able to do by phone pre-cruise if you got enough warning. More than likely, you'll want to have a list of changes and immediately go to the Theater and Restaurant Reservations.

Bird

I really enjoy reading your posts! Thank you for the concise answer!!

You need to go on another cruise so I can read your review :-)

I am not on the ships that have changed their itinerary due to the hurricanes - I feel for those affected because they are not getting what they paid for....

What happens to the money paid for excursions? I presume with NCL, they just credit you... what about direct bookings with outside vendors?

First or all, you are getting what you paid for: you are getting a 7 day cruise, so why are you saying you are not getting what you paid for?As for the excursions, you get your money back or you can apply it to another excursion at one of the new ports. :confused:

First or all, you are getting what you paid for: you are getting a 7 day cruise, so why are you saying you are not getting what you paid for?As for the excursions, you get your money back or you can apply it to another excursion at one of the new ports. :confused:

You obviously did not read the entire thread. This was already clarified.