Excursion questions and return to ship

ddcruise1018

My wife and I are on the Allure of the Seas cruise for October 21st. This is our first cruise so new to excursions. We have various beach excursions. Wondering if these are good or not. Also, once there, can you get back to the boat early? Does RC provide transportation back early or do we need to find our own?

Dolphin encounter with lunch and beach break in Cozumel

Maya Key Private Island Retreat in Roatan

All inclusive Beach Getaway at Uvero in Costa Maya

We are looking for relaxation, but 5 hours there might be a bit much. Looking for advice.

My wife and I are on the Allure of the Seas cruise for October 21st. This is our first cruise so new to excursions. We have various beach excursions. Wondering if these are good or not. Also, once there, can you get back to the boat early? Does RC provide transportation back early or do we need to find our own?

We are looking for relaxation, but 5 hours there might be a bit much. Looking for advice.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, ddcruise.

I understand that it is your first cruise and you want the assurance and peace of mind of taking ship's excursions.

But of the three ports, Cozumel is SOOOOO easy to do on your own. Just walk through the port, get in the taxi line and say, "Paradise Beach, por favor." Or Mr. Sanchos. Or San Francisco.

There is just no need to pay RC prices to spend time at the beach in Cozumel.

That's true of most beaches in most places. The key to DIY is research. You need to know something about the places you're going, otherwise, how will you know what you want to do?

Rarely do we ever take an excursion of any kind, but we do research our ports so we know about transportation, where the things we wish to see/do are located, which beach has rentals or facilities, restaurants, etc.....

You can save a bundle if you DIY!

My wife and I are on the Allure of the Seas cruise for October 21st. This is our first cruise so new to excursions. We have various beach excursions. Wondering if these are good or not. Also, once there, can you get back to the boat (ship) early? Does RC provide transportation back early or do we need to find our own? if you are using a ship sponsored tour then then the listed time for return is the only time. if you want to return early, that's on you to arrange and pay for( and there is no refund from the ship if you return early on your own )

Dolphin encounter with lunch and beach break in Cozumel my personal opinion is anything involving captive animals and random stray humans interacting is wrong.

beach days are beach days and it is stupid to spend the money on a ship sponsored excursion when you can very easily grab a cheap taxi or shuttle from the pier on your own and thus have complete control over your timeline. I'd much rather do an excursion( through the ship or otherwise) that allows you to experience the culture and history of the area you are visiting. and I don't mean being stuck in the market being begged to purchase trinkets that may or may not have been made locally.

Just bear this in mind: If you are on the ship organized excursion and something happens to cause the transportation to be late back to the ship (flat tire, break down, etc.), the ship will wait.

If you are on your own...the ship may or may not wait.

I've sat on my balcony many times watching people run down the pier as the ship sails away.

We are on this sailing also!! It's getting so close. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids doing our own excursions (not ship sponsored). In Cozumel we are doing Nachi Cocum private beach club...look it up! They only take a fixed number of people a day and its all inclusive!! Roatan we are doing the Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout with an island tour (not ship sponsored) and the rest we will just wing it. Trust me if you do your research you will save a ton of money. Like other posters have said, know where and how you want to go!

See you in a few weeks!

beach days are beach days and it is stupid to spend the money on a ship sponsored excursion when you can very easily grab a cheap taxi or shuttle from the pier on your own and thus have complete control over your timeline. I'd much rather do an excursion( through the ship or otherwise) that allows you to experience the culture and history of the area you are visiting. and I don't mean being stuck in the market being begged to purchase trinkets that may or may not have been made locally.

I don't think someone who is taking their first cruise is stupid to do a ship excursion. Inexperienced, maybe. Not familiar with what is available, maybe.

OP, Google trip advisor cozumel excursions. You will find Mr. Sanchos, Chankanaab, etc. They are an easy taxi ride, and taxis are plentiful, both directions. There is also a Port of Calls section on Cruise Critic with information on your port stops. Find the highly rated excursions, do a taxi, and you probably won't be alone, as many will go to the same places. Maybe check out your cruise's roll call and you can get advice there. Often folks are going to the same places you want to go.

You can choose to take ship excursions. Many do. But, especially at the ports you are going to, you can easily get taxis to go to nice beach excursions without too much risk, really. And, you won't have the added stops and pressure to do things. You can do what you want, when you want. When you are ready to leave a beach, check with the staff, they will help you get your taxi, no worries, mon......... (yeah, wrong island).

We love Cozumel. The people are wonderful, the taxi drivers are very knowledgeable and happy to offer advice. Going to somewhere like Mr. Sanchos by taxi will be a great way to "break into" doing a non-cruise sponsored excursion.

I'll give a plug for our fav on Cozumel... Cozumel Bar Hop. Its a non-cruise ship excursion.

You can always go back early...you can get on and off the ship as many times as you want, as long as you're back by the time specified on the daily flyer.

Depending on if the ship is anchored or not at the port, the cruise line will provide transportation from the land to the ship. However, they won't provide transportation to the pier unless you're on an excursion booked through the cruise line.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app