Prices of Mediterranean Cruises

sgmn

Royal Caribbean sure has done a good job of growing its business in Europe the last few years.

Two years ago we did a 9 night cruise in September 2016 on Jewel for GBP770 for a balcony room, just looked at 2019 and the same cruise, same time of year, is GBP1596 for the cheapest guaranteed balcony. Twice as much. Appreciate that this deal includes the 'free' drink package but really.... 100% increase in two years. And they are selling out so people are obviously happy to buy at this price.....

Problem is if you don't want the drink package there is no other choice, you have to have the price that includes the package. Just have to wait until November when the offer ends and see if prices improve and hope there are still cabins available.

Sue

Royal Caribbean sure has done a good job of growing its business in Europe the last few years.

Two years ago we did a 9 night cruise in September 2016 on Jewel for GBP770 for a balcony room, just looked at 2019 and the same cruise, same time of year, is GBP1596 for the cheapest guaranteed balcony. Twice as much. Appreciate that this deal includes the 'free' drink package but really.... 100% increase in two years. And they are selling out so people are obviously happy to buy at this price.....

Problem is if you don't want the drink package there is no other choice, you have to have the price that includes the package. Just have to wait until November when the offer ends and see if prices improve and hope there are still cabins available.

Sue

That was our experience for our Freedom cruise June 2017 which we booked in October 2016 and as D+ the free drinks package was irelavent to us but it was included but at a £500 price hike.

Normally the balcony guarantee is exempt from the drinks package deal so it would be extra! I agree it's double the price. 6 years ago on adventure for 7 nights in a guaranteed balcony out of Malaga we paid £242GBP each. The pricing is nuts now.

Use to be exempt last year but the last two all inclusive package deals even the guarantee cabin had it included, at least on the cruise I was looking at.

One possible explanation (in addition to greedy company) would be that none of the ships stop at Turkey - meaning they don't get outside EU area and are therefore bound to pay taxes (VAT) to EU countries. That rises prices for about 20-25% alone.
Kusadasi for Ephesus in Turkey is a big miss in many ways.

Some of the cruises do have port stops in Montenegro, which is not (yet) an EU country, but even so prices seem to be crazily high. So high, in fact, that it worked out cheaper for us to book a Caribbean cruise than a Med one, even taking into account the cost of trans-Atlantic flights and accommodation in Miami! How mad is that?! :eek::confused:

Dane here. I usually book though a US agent. That way I have more freedom of choice.

I guess if you can, book through a US agent. I just looked on the UK site at the 14 night we have booked for July. The price they are showing for the same cabin category as ours is 1000GBP more than we paid, so it looks like it is not really a free package.

I agree the prices are crazy, and hopefully they will come down once the drink package goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess if you can, book through a US agent. I just looked on the UK site at the 14 night we have booked for July. The price they are showing for the same cabin category as ours is 1000GBP more than we paid, so it looks like it is not really a free package.

I agree the prices are crazy, and hopefully they will come down once the drink package goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have our first cruise booked thru a US on line agent next week, Anthem of the seas! So far it's been a good experience so maybe that's what we'll do in future as long as the pound doesn't slide too much

In our experience, it's really swings and roundabouts. I have seen cheaper prices on both sides of the pond but the big advantage of US bookings is that they are more flexible. We have recently sailed on Celebrity and note that the 2019 prices are beyond crazy for the Edge!

Sue

Got a great price last August on our 12 nite Mediterranean on the Brilliance. However, was looking for a '19 similar cruise/itinerary and prices are double for a balcony cabin on the Vision. Problem, Vision has fewer balconies, ergo impact of supply & demand. Have to wait for the '20 schedules.

The Med. is selling really well for 2019 already, especially the Greek Isles itineraries which are selling like hotcakes. I'm hearing & seeing this over a wide range of cruise lines, not just RCI. Our Jewel cruise for next year has been sold out of everything except insides & outsides for many months. It really pays to book early as the prices almost doubled within the first 4 months. I don't know why Europe is doing so well, but it is. The Euro is down so that's the only thing I can figure out that is causing this.

Yes we picked a not so great year to go over .....2019. A 14 night cruise from Cape Liberty, back to back, was the same price for a balcony for what we got for an outside 14 night for Southampton. But we’ve decided to do it anyway for a big anniversary. Hoping airfare will not be higher as well or we will have to rethink it.

We actually have a deposit on both cruises waiting to see what airfare does.