So confused

jaildoc

We are cruising for the first time. 3 couples on NCL Breakaway 12/30/18 out of New Orleans. We have 4 ports of call and are trying to decide on excursions.

Cozumel, Belize City, Harvest Caye, and Costa Maya. There is some fear about booking with a vendor and not NCL but I also see Viator pops up when scanning excursions. We know we want to swim with dolphins (preferably ocean accessible) and we want to snorkel somewhere but we don't know the best ports to do what. I also saw a Private Boat Charter in Cozumel thru Viator on the Victoria. We could snorkel and fish. The Cave Tubing in Belize sounds interesting. I guess I should add that we are from North Florida, close to the coast so sitting on a beach is not something we would probably find real unique.

If you had these ports what would you do in each port and with what vendor? Thank you for any input. And yes I have read about the dolphins in captivity. No judgment please.

Edited by jaildoc

We are big fans of Maya Chan at Costa Maya. Small, laid back, super nice hosts, great food, and non stop drinks. Their small beach area and that whole coast area can have a lot of sea grass. But they work continuously cleaning it away. They sell out quick. Reservations are necessary well in advance. Search them on Trip advisor for lots of reviews and pictures.

I second Maya Chan. Such a great way to spend a day. If you want a day to just relax, Maya Chan is where to do it.

We went cave tubing in Belize with Vitalino Reyes and it went off without a hitch. Neat to see the caves themselves, but the tubing is definitely a slow meander.

We are cruising for the first time. 3 couples on NCL Breakaway 12/30/18 out of New Orleans. We have 4 ports of call and are trying to decide on excursions.

Cozumel, Belize City, Harvest Caye, and Costa Maya. There is some fear about booking with a vendor and not NCL but I also see Viator pops up when scanning excursions. We know we want to swim with dolphins (preferably ocean accessible) and we want to snorkel somewhere but we don't know the best ports to do what. I also saw a Private Boat Charter in Cozumel thru Viator on the Victoria. We could snorkel and fish. The Cave Tubing in Belize sounds interesting. I guess I should add that we are from North Florida, close to the coast so sitting on a beach is not something we would probably find real unique.

If you had these ports what would you do in each port and with what vendor? Thank you for any input. And yes I have read about the dolphins in captivity. No judgment please.

We have used Viator for both land and shore excursions with no problems bot they are the subcontractor

Also when looking at their website make sure you are on shore excursion page for that port.

We took a ferry from Cozumel over to Costa Maya for a cave tubing excursion with Viator. It was a great excursion that included an authentic Mayan lunch at the end. We made it back to the ship in plenty of time. Cost was quite a bit less pp than a similar excursion offered through the ship. I should add this this was on another cruise line but since it was through Viator, that doesn't really matter. What does matter is the fact that they guarantee they will get you back to the ship in time. I suppose anything could happen and there is a certain level of risk associated with taking an excursion through a private vendor... Do your research and read the reviews. We used Viator all through Europe as well on our Med cruise 2 years ago. Never had a problem.

I second Maya Chan. Such a great way to spend a day. If you want a day to just relax, Maya Chan is where to do it.

We went cave tubing in Belize with Vitalino Reyes and it went off without a hitch. Neat to see the caves themselves, but the tubing is definitely a slow meander.

Now that NCL goes to Harvest Caye can you get off to do excursions with private vendors?

Maya Chan is a winner even if you are not "lay around" beach people. The resort is fun and the owners are super nice. We loved it.

Cozumel has so many choices. I think I would choose to snorkel there As for Belize, we are not lovers of Belize so I can't say much, but the cave tubing sounds awesome.

As for booking with NCL or private vendor this depends on how experienced you are with cruising and the length of the excursion. We do it both ways, with our preference being private vendors if the tour allows you at least 2 hours after arrival back to the ship prior to sailing.

You will like be going to harvest cay in Beleize, which is off the coast and a "private island" unless things have changed, there is no way off with out an NCL excursion. You are a LONG way from cave tubing. If you want to snorkel, I vote Roatan. The water is generally calm, the reef is close to shore, it is amazing!!

I travel with 2 kids. I have never used a ship excursion. Find the operators here and on tripadvisor that are well reviewed. Contact them to make arrangements pick the on that is most responsive. In 20 or more port stops, I have never been uncomfortable, and have been back to the ship.with thime to spear.

For Costa Maya, I highly recommend native choice and the Mayan ruin. It was an exceptional tour.