Parents Going on First Cruise. What are the best tips and tricks?

mrschrod

Hi everyone,

My parents are going on their first cruise on MS Koningsdam. I've only ever traveled on Carnival, so I was hoping the good people of this forum could give the best tips and tricks to making sure their cruise is the best it could possibly be.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I should have been a big more specific.

What are the dining options on HAL? Is it early dining, late dining, YTD lining like Carnival?

Do they charge for room service?

What are the best activities for older adults (60+)

They are going to Half Moon Cay, Amber Bay, Nassau and Grand Turk. What are the best excursions or things to see at these ports?

Any secret places on the ship that they should definitely check out?

What are the best food dining options?

Thanks again!

I know it will be hard..but try to pack light and efficient. Using a few colors that can be mixed and matched together to create different outfits. For your Mom, she should have a

Pashmina or light sweater at night on the ship because it can be chilly in the ac. Have a pair of comfortable walking shoes. We like to pre plan our port days. We’ve booked private tours and or ship

Sponsored excursions in advance. We also bring a highlighter to highlight things we want to do on the ship’s daily activity sheet. Planning for the cruise is almost as fun as being on it..lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

You do realize everything written on this (and the other parts of Cruise Critic) are tips and tricks to help you, or anyone else going on a cruise?

I would suggest doing some reading, and picking up 5 or 10 ideas to focus on. Don't overwhelm them...they will be overwhelmed anyway, as it is totally new to them. They will be very excited by the new-ness of it all.

Whoa..........

If you care to give a little info, perhaps WE can share some info with you. I would like to help but ..........

No problem! These are the main questions that I had. I should have put them in the first post.

What are the dining options on HAL? Is it early dining, late dining, YTD lining like Carnival?

What are the best activities for older adults, or ones that you enjoy that you have seen others enjoy as well?

They are going to Half Moon Cay, Amber Bay, Nassau and Grand Turk. What are the best excursions or things to see at these ports?

As much as I enjoy the 'holier than though' attitude, my parents asked me for advice on things they should try out, which is why I came to this forum. So how about instead of trying to de-rail the thread, or bring others down, try to help out. Otherwise, there is no need for you to post.

Have a nice day

It is an understandable request. We gave my mom and dad their one and only cruise before my dad got sick. They were also nervous and had lots of questions. We have been on Carnival and many of the common cruise things were similar.

Some good sites for info: halfacts.com and

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2

Early and late fixed as well as anytime dining are all available but if they want fixed, they need to get that on record as that can fill up.

Also there will be numerous affordable for fee dining options. The menus can be seen on those sites above. And reservations can be made for those restaurants prior to boarding on the website.

24/7 room service, most items no charge. Just a small tip for the steward. Oh and remember to tell them how tipping works too. Same as Carnival. But I know the daily charge might confuse them if they didn't know about beforehand.

The lido is also great on HAL btw.

Tell them to check the schedule on their interactive tv everyday for all the times and events.

Also, a huge selection of free movies on that same tv 24/7.

Entertainment, very subjective but BBKings is very popular in the evenings. We enjoy the many music offerings on HAL, the shows less so. But that is us.

Half Moon Cay is the idyllic beach day for us. Beautiful beach, tender required from the ship. Beach bbq for lunch is included. Clamshell and cabanas can be rented but not really necessary. Other excursions available too. All excursions can be viewed on the website under the booking.

Grand Turk is also a beach day as you walk off the ship right at the beach at the cruise center. Free loungers, umbrellas, and clam shells right there. If there are 2 ships in port it can get crowded and loud.

Hope this helps. And hope they have a lovely cruise.:D

It is an understandable request. We gave my mom and dad their one and only cruise before my dad got sick. They were also nervous and had lots of questions. We have been on Carnival and many of the common cruise things were similar.

Some good sites for info: halfacts.com and

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2

Early and late fixed as well as anytime dining are all available but if they want fixed, they need to get that on record as that can fill up.

Also there will be numerous affordable for fee dining options. The menus can be seen on those sites above. And reservations can be made for those restaurants prior to boarding on the website.

24/7 room service, most items no charge. Just a small tip for the steward. Oh and remember to tell them how tipping works too. Same as Carnival. But I know the daily charge might confuse them if they didn't know about beforehand.

The lido is also great on HAL btw.

Tell them to check the schedule on their interactive tv everyday for all the times and events.

Also, a huge selection of free movies on that same tv 24/7.

Entertainment, very subjective but BBKings is very popular in the evenings. We enjoy the many music offerings on HAL, the shows less so. But that is us.

Half Moon Cay is the idyllic beach day for us. Beautiful beach, tender required from the ship. Beach bbq for lunch is included. Clamshell and cabanas can be rented but not really necessary. Other excursions available too. All excursions can be viewed on the website under the booking.

Grand Turk is also a beach day as you walk off the ship right at the beach at the cruise center. Free loungers, umbrellas, and clam shells right there. If there are 2 ships in port it can get crowded and loud.

Hope this helps. And hope they have a lovely cruise.:D

Thank you for your help! this is what I was looking for!

In my opinion only, their itinerary does not have a wide array of interesting excursions. Half Moon Cay is basically a beach destination, as is Grand Turk and Amber Cove. In Nassau they could also go to the beach or go to the souvenir market or tour Atlantis For some people, this itinerary would be ideal. For others, like me, it does not offer much in the way of exploring other interesting areas.

The Tamarind restaurant Is outstanding if they like Asian food. It is the best Holland America has to offer and we dine in there once or twice every cruise.

The Dutch Cafe on the ship is not to be missed, both for their Dutch pancakes and pastries.

Room service can be a hot topic on this forum. There is no charge but just know that the crew signs up for extra shifts to run room service orders in order to earn a little extra money, therefore a couple of dollars per delivery is considerate; others will point out that it is not necessary, which is true. Have the money ready when they walk in because they will not stand around and put their hand out.

HAL has very good room service with rather extensive choices. Your parents willll find a folder that contains the menu on the counter when they get to their cabin.

Room service is 24 hours AND unlike most cruise lines, if one sants room service full b reakfa ton the last morning (debark day) , it is available.

Many of us like the turkey club sandwich. :. No additional charge xcept for a few choices. and a tip is optional.

Like on all cruise lines, they will get a daily program and can choose the activities in which they are interested.

Edited by sail7seas

There are no longer formal nights on HAL. They have been replaced by Gala nights. But the majority of the people dress the same for Gala nights as for smart casual nights. Men wear slacks and a collared shirt. Ladies wear slacks and a nice top or a skirt and a nice top or a dress. However -- if they want to dress up formally, they can and there will be a few people who will do so.

We love the extra charge Pinnacle Grill and extra charge Tamarind restaurants.

There are no longer formal nights on HAL. They have been replaced by Gala nights. But the majority of the people dress the same for Gala nights as for smart casual nights. Men wear slacks and a collared shirt. Ladies wear slacks and a nice top or a skirt and a nice top or a dress. However -- if they want to dress up formally, they can and there will be a few people who will do so.

We love the extra charge Pinnacle Grill and extra charge Tamarind restaurants.

How many gala nights are there usually on a 7 day cruise? 2?

How many gala nights are there usually on a 7 day cruise? 2?

Usually 2, mostly on sea days.

Also, if you google Holland America Know Before You Go, that document has all the policy details and other info concerning clothes suggestions, alcohol, wine, and other beverages that can or can not be brought onboard, tipping, etc. Just a good place to get basic stuff answered.

Also, HAL staterooms generally are available by 11:30am day of boarding which is nice. They can drop off their carry ons and go to the MDR for lunch if they like. It is often (though not always) open from noon to 1:30 on embarkation day and quieter and less crowded than the lido. Just tell them to go there and see as the lido can be overrun, which is normal for first day.

Oh and the Dive In burger joint is also a great option.

Hi everyone,

My parents are going on their first cruise on MS Koningsdam. I've only ever traveled on Carnival, so I was hoping the good people of this forum could give the best tips and tricks to making sure their cruise is the best it could possibly be.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some Koningsdam-specific tips:

1. Plan on dinner taking more than an hour in the MDR. Service can be slow. It's also very loud in there.

2. Get to the Lido early in the mornings to snag a good table and beat the crowds.

3. Try the bread pudding.

4. Skip Canaletto but definitely try Tamarind

5. Enjoy the room service - its usually excellent.

6. Grand Dutch Cafe is also great

7. Happy hours and trivia at the Crows Nest are fun

The hamburgers and hot dogs at the dive in on Lido are good.

You can order from the dinner menu and have it delivered to your cabin during dinner hours.

The Pinnacle Grille for lunch has a fantastic menu. Make reservations right away as it fills up.

There are happy hours listed in the daily program.

Try breakfast in the MDR. Everything is cooked to your order. Relaxed and nice way to start your day. You can ask for a table for two so you can plan your day, or let them seat you with others for chat.

On Koningsdam the other specialty restaurant, besides the Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind, is called Sel de Mer. It is mainly a seafood restaurant, with a la carte pricing. It is very good, but not everything is fresh, so, if your parents decide to try it, I suggest they check as to what is fresh and what is frozen or vacuum packed (as the mussels were when we were on board:eek:).

As someone said, the dining room is very noisy. If they want to do "fixed seating" they would be seated upstairs, I think, which might be quieter.

PS I don't know if they would be interested, but I did a review of our cruise on Koningsdam, here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2590910

Edited by Vict0riann

As much as I enjoy the 'holier than though' attitude, my parents asked me for advice on things they should try out, which is why I came to this forum. So how about instead of trying to de-rail the thread, or bring others down, try to help out. Otherwise, there is no need for you to post.

Have a nice day

Good on you for trying to make your parents first cruise a bit easier by giving them some tips. There are a lot of holier than thou attitudes on here. Those that have 100’s of cruisng days seem to forget that others may not have been fortunate enough or wealthy enough to cruise so often. Unfortunately I can't comment on the K'dam as I have never cruised on her. I do know that Room Service is free. A tip to the waiter is a good idea.

Your parents can choose whether to eat early or late, have fixed dining or As you like dining. They can have a table for two or ask to be seated with others. I have no objection at all to how long a meal in the MDR takes. Do you have anywhere else you have to be in a hurry. You are on a cruise for goodness sake. You are supposed to be relaxing. (Sorry rant over).

First, I have no idea what is wrong with your original question. :rolleyes: Seemed reasonable, sorry some didn't understand it and felt so compelled to respond for no reason.

To answer you:

Their dining time should have been selected at purchase. It will be indicated on their at sea card... if they have any time dining they can just show up or they can make reservations 3 days at a time for preferred dining table size and time.

Not for most things. A few items have a charge, and it is clearly marked on menu. You can also order from MDR menu during first hour of dinner.

What are the best activities for older adults (60+)

This is personal, but I like the America Test Kitchen Demos, Triva, and the dueling pianos

Grand Turk has Margaritaville right in port and has a large nice resort pool free to use. They had a DJ and great poolside service. Half Moon Cay drinks are *not* included in beverage cards or packages, heads up.

Never sailed on the K

I like the Tamarind ($25 per person). Upscale Asian.

The burgers & fries at Dive In (no charge)

The Salad Bar in the back of the Lido Buffet (*unique to Holland is almost everything is served to you even in buffet, the staff will put food on your plate- cleaner, safer, etc)

Egg Benedicts in the lido are great

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Have not sailed on the K'dam nor to that region, but here's my take on the MDR.

The food is very good, even the sugar-free desserts have improved 1000%. But sometimes no appetizer/salad may strike your fancy, but two mains will... You can order a half-portion of most mains as an appetizer! (It will be obvious which are halve-able.) You can also have two items from the first course, such as a soup AND a salad, before your main. You can substitute the sides from one main with a different entree... as we eat low carb, my favorite was to ask for cauliflower au gratin (from the available-daily strip steak) in place of potato or rice on a featured main.

I suspect your parents would like fixed early seating, so they can get to the show, but that is just my take on it.

Kudos to you for helping your parents! First cruises are amazingly stressful.. best advice, tell them to book open dining and try the MDR the first night and see if they connect with people at a table for 10. If not, they can request a table for 2 after that, if they have a balcony tell them to wander down and take pictures of the MDR menu....order dinner off of that!