CCL Shareholders stock

Lyndonn

On 9/14/2018 at 7:23 AM, RBAlbany said:

Bought our 100 shares in early June at just over $60/share. Should I be expecting dividends on that now, or do I need to wait another quarter? Currently at $63.38/share.

https://www.streetinsider.com/dividend_history.php?q=CCL

Owners of shares as of an "ex div date" get that dividend on the "pay. date" 

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Why do you own more than 100 shares?

Bought100 shares 3 years ago for the cruising credits and now own 8+ more shares. That earns 8+% more interest on dividends than 100 shares which is way more than any interest we would have earned than if the dividends would have been taken in cash and put in a savings account anywhere so why not? 

Tom

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'd only own more than 100 shares in two cases:
• CCL were (without the OBC consideration) the "best for me" investment in the market.

• The shares were in an IRA (or the like) and cash dividends would have to stay in the IRA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haboob said:

I'd only own more than 100 shares in two cases:
• CCL were (without the OBC consideration) the "best for me" investment in the market.

• The shares were in an IRA (or the like) and cash dividends would have to stay in the IRA.

If you are buying it solely for the shareholders credit, this would make sense.

Then again, you did indicate that the advice was for you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

If you are buying it solely for the shareholders credit, this would make sense.

Then again, you did indicate that the advice was for you.

You miss my point:  The math is different for the first 100 shares and any after that.

You get SOBC for the first 100 shares, and should include any expected SOBC in the estimated

rate of return that you use to compare to other opportunities.

For shares beyond that, you don't get any extra SOBC so you should be calculating ROI without

any consideration of SOBC when comparing to other opportunities.

• Like 1

• For many of us there are two reasons for the initial 100 shares investment. We can buy it for the Shareholder OBC. This is something that is not duplicated on most other stocks.
  • The second reason is any expected capital gains and dividends payable over time.

Beyond the initial shares, the first does not apply, so it must be looked at as an investment

Two suggestions for comparison:   Put the money in the bank and get -- pennies per year interest.

Buy Royal Caribbean stock and learn all the reasons why you CANNOT get the shareholder benefit each time you ask for it.

Thank you Princess (Carnival Stock) for honoring what you said you would do!  Each time (100%) that I get that on-board-credit (OBC) I feel like I got a special treat!

• Like 1

I see a reason to buy 100 shares but I do not see a reason to reinvest the dividends. They're much better investment vehicles out there. No one, certainly not me, is talking about sticking the dividends in a bank account at .01% interest.

Edited by Ombud

36 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I see a reason to buy 100 shares but I do not see a reason to reinvest the dividends. They're much better investment vehicles out there. No one, certainly not me, is talking about sticking the dividends in a bank account at .01% interest.

CCL stock is up roughly 80% over the last 5 years.  It has also outperfomed the major U.S. stock indexes during that span.  Have there been individual equities that have done better?  Sure,  but that sort of annualized return (in addition to a relatively healthy 3(+)% dividend) is nothing to sniff at.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skai said:

CCL stock is up roughly 80% over the last 5 years.  It has also outperfomed the major U.S. stock indexes during that span.  Have there been individual equities that have done better?  Sure,  but that sort of annualized return (in addition to a relatively healthy 3(+)% dividend) is nothing to sniff at.

I agree.  And I bought it years ago when the market tanked.  The OBC I've received from it since then covered the original cost.

Yes, it's been great for me to have the OBC. I've gotten back the cost of the shares between it and dividends. On the other hand, it's always interesting to read these threads and be reminded that stock prices fluctuate. It will take a lot of cruises for someone who paid $72 a share back in January to make up for the plunge that's happened recently.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2018 at 7:23 AM, RBAlbany said:

Bought our 100 shares in early June at just over $60/share. Should I be expecting dividends on that now, or do I need to wait another quarter? Currently at $63.38/share.

Since you bought the stock after 23 May 2018, you won't get the June dividend. Since you bought it before 23 August you should have gotten the quarterly dividend that was paid on 14 Sep. The next dividend is scheduled to be paid on 14 Dec.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

On 10/31/2018 at 9:43 AM, Ombud said:

CCL was my very first stock investment.  It was recommended by my stockbroker.

I bought 500 shares @$30 per share because that’s all I could afford at the time.

That’s before I started to cruise.

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

CCL was my very first stock investment.  It was recommended by my stockbroker.

I bought 500 shares @$30 per share because that’s all I could afford at the time.

That’s before I started to cruise.

Very nice. Mostly what I hear is people saying their broker recommended against the stock but they bought it anyway and the broker was surprised by the performance of the stock. Glad you got in at a decent price. Of course I see some posts from time to time from folks who bought at $16 or so but, then again, when they bought at that price $16 was a lot more money than it is today. We paid $37 and only bought the requisite 100 shares but have been very happy with the OBC, dividends, and equity increase.

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Very nice. Mostly what I hear is people saying their broker recommended against the stock but they bought it anyway and the broker was surprised by the performance of the stock. Glad you got in at a decent price. Of course I see some posts from time to time from folks who bought at $16 or so but, then again, when they bought at that price $16 was a lot more money than it is today. We paid $37 and only bought the requisite 100 shares but have been very happy with the OBC, dividends, and equity increase.

When the market tanked about 10 years ago and that's when it was under $20 a share.  It was just by luck a lot people bought in back then.   It wasn't that it was a lot more money than it is today.  It was all about timing.   Now is not the time to buy.