Tipping porters at YC entrance

TinaM67

It's a job, they are supposed to work and that's why they get paid...

Yes. I know that. Just sayin' I could give a flip how much they earn, or a butler, conciege, or the person who washes my towels. Lots of people make six figures. A lot doing it doing cushy jobs.

As I have travelled the world I have adjusted to the customs and practices of my hosts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen reports that it has ben said that " American and England are two nations separated by a common language.

Thank you, that brings it to the point.

It is even more confusing within the United States when it comes to words used in different regions.

Pizza - in NY called P-I-E

Soft Drink / Soda - in MA called P-O-P

Sub - in PA called H-O-A-G-I-E

Tennis shoes - in FL called S-N-E-A-K-E-R-S

I was under the impression that YC in Miami did not have to drop-off luggage at the kerb like all passengers, but rather keep hold of it until you got to the YC check-in area (the white tent)?

When I reached the YC tent the butlers grabbed us and I didn’t even have time to tip the porter...sweet.

Every port in the US is covered by the Longshoremans Union. Your luggage must go through them to get on the ship. A lot of them are semi retired and work sporadically. Most of them are pretty nice and are happy with a few dollars. It’s a game that’s been played for the past hundred plus years. A five dollar bill will take care of a lot of luggage.

Those 'semi-retired' longshoremen make full-time pay and get the most lucrative jobs, like cruise ships, because of their seniority, and make well in excess of 100 grand.

Tip them or not - your choice. I don't, despite the dire warning here that if you don't they will lose or dunk your bags.

We embarked from Boston several years ago and I personally witnessed a fork lift pushing an entire rack of luggage off the pier and into the water.

We had friends onboard who were greatly affected. All their clothing had to be cleaned and a camera was ruined. It does happen!

So what was this, the special 'they didn't tip' rack? Sounds pretty nonsensical to me.

In Miami it's the same union porters for YC that handle your larger bags at the white tent who also take care of the rest of the passengers bags. They make it clear that they are "taking care" of your bag and expect a gratuity for slapping it onto that larger cart and pushing it into the building to be scanned and then loaded onto the ship.

I’ve never had a porter at any port in eastern Florida coast expect a tip. I tip because they work hard and a couple of dollars doesn’t put a dent in my cruise budget.

I have actually had the porters/stevadors hold a whole bus hostage until they collected their "mandatory tips. Two came on before anyone could be let off and stated another would go up and down the aisle collecting the tips for their service of getting the luggage off of the bus and onto the ship. As the tour director I had already forewarned everyone to tip the porters, jokingly saying, "if they ever want to see their luggage on board the ship", But I still thought this was over board heavy handed. And Yes, it was Miami.

I have actually had the porters/stevadors hold a whole bus hostage until they collected their "mandatory tips. Two came on before anyone could be let off and stated another would go up and down the aisle collecting the tips for their service of getting the luggage off of the bus and onto the ship. As the tour director I had already forewarned everyone to tip the porters, jokingly saying, "if they ever want to see their luggage on board the ship", But I still thought this was over board heavy handed. And Yes, it was Miami.

Which port was this in?