Has anyone heard back from NCL after 9/9/18 sailing?

Wyoming2010

I have been pricing out cruises from NY for my childrens’ spring break. There are two. One to Bermuda (that you booked) and one that does the Bahamas itinerary (that you actually got). The Bermuda one is $1,002 more for my family. I’d be ticked if all I got back was a whooping $180! Even if everything else was perfect on your cruise, I don’t blame you for feeling that NCL dropped the ball on a refund.

You are completely discounting the taxes. The lump sum you pay is not all port fees.

Thank you for pointing this out. There has to be a source that states what the actual port fees at each port. As others have mentioned, we were immediately refunded our port fees when we missed GSC as onboard credit on previous cruises. This is a simple math question, and needs to be put to rest so we can all move on. To the OP, as others have mentioned, if you say you are done with NCL, why continue to look for a comp? I know a friend who continually finds fault with restaurants and hotels always looking for a comp. They make a game out of it, and it really is embarrassing. Recently was told to just leave from an establishment. Some customers are worth losing.

Thank you for pointing this out. There has to be a source that states what the actual port fees at each port. As others have mentioned, we were immediately refunded our port fees when we missed GSC as onboard credit on previous cruises. This is a simple math question, and needs to be put to rest so we can all move on. To the OP, as others have mentioned, if you say you are done with NCL, why continue to look for a comp? I know a friend who continually finds fault with restaurants and hotels always looking for a comp. They make a game out of it, and it really is embarrassing. Recently was told to just leave from an establishment. Some customers are worth losing.

I've heard of late people getting refund for missing GSC here and there. I can tell you (and maybe mking can give what happened to him as he was on same sailing) when we sailed on BA and missed GSC we got zero.

Port charges are somewhat 'fluid' and not set in stone. They can change based on the local port authority, how many ships are already in port, how many days prior to berthing the ship/company set up access to the port, etc. So what might have been $60 per person for a port of call might be $90 per person if it was a last minute port change. So OP you probably got back all you were entitled to.

We got something back at least on our first cruise, can’t remember the next two times we missed GSC. I remember it since it was our first time and I was amazed with watching our charges on the TV. Unless it was a credit for something else. I spent an hour yesterday looking for old cruise receipts/portfolios but can’t find any. I may have tossed them. I’ll look some more today.

We were scheduled for 2-1/2 days in Bermuda and paid $412 in port fees. They changed the itinerary to Nassau/Port Canaveral/Great Stirrup Cay. They refunded $30 pp OBC the day after we left NYC, telling us it was for the difference in port fees for cancelling Bermuda. But then they changed the itinerary again and cancelled Nassau two days later, but did not address a refund of those port fees. I was told there are no port fees (by their rep) for their island, so all in all we paid $350 to port in Port Canaveral and our cruise ended up with five days at sea. I really doubt that PC port fees are $175 each. And their own website shows the cruise prices for the PC itinerary at least $400 less than what we paid. And that's it in a nutshell. I'm done explaining.

Your 100% correct, my wife and I were on the same cruise. We got back $30.00, that it. We paid $350 to visit Port Canaveral:eek::mad:

There are no port fees for GSC. NCL owns the island.

If only it were that simple. Port fees are not just the costs associated with the port, but they also include taxes/fees assessed by government.

While GSC is NCL's private island, it is still part of the Bahamas, and the Bahamian government still has legal jurisdiction and taxing authority. Just because NCL owns the island does not mean the Bahamian government is going to forego the tax revenue.

Their waters, their country, their rules.

I have been pricing out cruises from NY for my childrens’ spring break. There are two. One to Bermuda (that you booked) and one that does the Bahamas itinerary (that you actually got). The Bermuda one is $1,002 more for my family. I’d be ticked if all I got back was a whooping $180! Even if everything else was perfect on your cruise, I don’t blame you for feeling that NCL dropped the ball on a refund.

Prices are closer for the Bahamas and Bermuda during off peak times (like September). We canceled a Bermuda sailing in May and booked a Bahamas cruise the same week, and there wasn’t a big price difference.

Cruise lines don't have accountability like airlines are required. The other "fees" leave room for fuzzy numbers.

They can take you to sea, sail around in circles for a week and call in a completed cruise lol
Absolutely correct as has been implictly pointed out by numerous other posters.

The difference is, other cruise lines recognize that such a cruise might be disappointing to some of it's passengers and in an effort to keep those passengers happy and make sure they come back and cruise their line again, they give them compensation. NCL doesn't see it the same way, apparently.

Is GSC considered a "distant foreign port" for the purposes of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886? If not, then NCL probably had to pay a hefty fine per passenger ($762) for missing Nassau. Maybe that would be why they were hesitant to provide any additional discount/refund to passengers?

Is GSC considered a "distant foreign port" for the purposes of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886? If not, then NCL probably had to pay a hefty fine per passenger ($762) for missing Nassau. Maybe that would be why they were hesitant to provide any additional discount/refund to passengers?
GSC is part of the Bahamas. However, neither the Bahamas nor Bermuda are considered a distant foreign port.

Is this relevant though? I didn't think this was a repositioning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Have to read the law and not just Google something that sounds impressive. [emoji16] . This trip was a closed loop cruise thus not under the PVSA....

"In accordance with this law,*cruise lines*that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $762 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port."

Have to read the law and not just Google something that sounds impressive. [emoji16] . This trip was a closed loop cruise thus not under the PVSA....

"In accordance with this law,*cruise lines*that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $762 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port."

The problem was I *didn't* Google it. Had I done so, I would have read the same thing you posted. I was just under a mistaken impression of what the law meant, I guess.

Yep.