Elegant night

robindina

Ok so I have scene many posts about this night, but according to the website Jeans are not allowed. My hubby when we go out wears nice jeans and a sport coat, will we able to go to the dining room on elegant night or do we need to buy him slacks?

Per Carnival’s website jeans are not allowed in the MDR on elegant night. In reality I have been on cruises where that rule was strictly enforced and I have been on other cruises where it wasn’t enforced. I would bring a pair of nicer dress pants to be on the safe side. Or there is always the option of eating st the Lido buffet on elegant night.

Polo shirt might be hit or miss. Collared shirt better

Polo shirts are collared with a front placket of approximately 3 buttons and made of a knitted material.

From the dictionary: po·lo shirt

ˈpōlō ˌSHərt/

noun

• a casual short-sleeved cotton shirt with a collar and several buttons at the neck.

I assume that you were thinking of a henley (which is more casual without a collar)' date=' which I agree would be much less appropriate on elegant night.[/font']

Although I'm pretty sure I've seen pressed jeans & collared shirts on elegant night, I would take slacks just in case - sometimes rules are enforced & sometimes they aren't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Of course, if you don't mind missing the elegant night menu, there is always the buffet. I like to get lobster, so I always bring something that will be appropriate for the written dress code. I've worn capris with a nice top & hubby has worn slacks, buttoned collared shirt with black sneakers. On the flip side, hubby has worn a tux & I've worn floor length gown.

Yeah, well someday Carnival will update their website to real-world experience.

I've seen scads of jeans. Carnival is a very relaxed cruise line. We're going on Crystal next year and leaving the jeans at home. As the OP is from Texas, I'm going to assume they're cruising out of Galveston. Jeans are almost expected on elegant night if you're from Texas.

Totally agree with you. Let's be frank. Carnival is THE ONLY CRUISELINE that allows people to enter the buffet with NO SHOES, NO SHIRT- BATHING SUIT ONLY. on my last Carnival, which was on the Horizon, their flagship, a woman was in the buffet wearing ONLY her string bikini - no shoes, no wrap, her breasts basically exposed..

NO, Carnival won't have any problems with someone wearing nice jeans and a polo shirt on elegant night. Was done many times on the Horizon.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

Jeans are fine and you don't need a jacket. I use to wear khakis and a polo but lately I've gone to jeans, tennis shoes and a polo.

When I was on Victory last Summer they wouldn't let my friend who was wearing jeans into the MDR on elegant night. He just went back to his room and put on a pair of tan Dockers . I agree with you that jeans are usually acceptable, but it's good to let new cruisers know that occasionally Carnival actually enforces their own rules.

Totally agree with you. Let's be frank. Carnival is THE ONLY CRUISELINE that allows people to enter the buffet with NO SHOES, NO SHIRT- BATHING SUIT ONLY. on my last Carnival, which was on the Horizon, their flagship, a woman was in the buffet wearing ONLY her string bikini - no shoes, no wrap, her breasts basically exposed..

NO, Carnival won't have any problems with someone wearing nice jeans and a polo shirt on elegant night. Was done many times on the Horizon.

Sorry I missed that .:hearteyes:

When I was on Victory last Summer they wouldn't let my friend who was wearing jeans into the MDR on elegant night. He just went back to his room and put on a pair of tan Dockers . I agree with you that jeans are usually acceptable, but it's good to let new cruisers know that occasionally Carnival actually enforces their own rules.
This issue of dress codes is a fraught issues for many cruise lines and not just Carnival. Surprisingly some of the 5* lines seems to have less issues since some have resort casual dress codes throughout the cruise. Not having sailed one those lines or participated on those CC forums a can't be sure if they have solved the problem.

But you are correct in restating what the actual rules are.

Although it seems that jean may be ok, I do know first hand that the dress code is enforced on some of the ships. It is best to at least be prepared, or follow the dress code and save the embarrassment of being sent back to the cabin to change.

Polo shirt might be hit or miss. Collared shirt better

The jeans are not allowed, but might be hit or miss. A polo shirt is collared and does meet the guidelines. If in doubt, a button up shirt (button down refers to the collar) that can be worn with or without a tie with non-denim and non-athletic pants would be acceptable. A kilt would also be acceptable;) (but please, a real kilt and not the casual "utili-kilt").

I do agree that some jeans can look better than some khakis/chinos, but it's Carnival's rules.