Keto

maxsales

And the eggs cooked to order would be cooked in a fat that's not acceptable on a keto diet.

Are there any fats other than trans fats that aren't acceptable on Keto? I am a long-time Atkins (aka the original Keto, LOL) dieter myself and the only fats one is supposed to avoid are trans fats - I believe the current versions of keto are the same. I don't actually know what type of fat they use at the omelet stations but I'm guessing it's vegetable oil, which is perfectly fine. The only thing you'd want to watch is that they use whole, real eggs from the shell rather than that nasty tasting powdered stuff.

Anyway, to the OP, my response was not meant to be negative, just to say that IMO low-carb/keto/Atkins is one of the easiest diets to follow on your own on a ship. To be perfectly honest, I usually take a break from low-carbing on cruises, but generally speaking I prefer even my "off plan" meals to be protein and vegetable heavy, with only a small amount of starch, and I find this entirely doable on cruises.

Are there any fats other than trans fats that aren't acceptable on Keto? I am a long-time Atkins (aka the original Keto, LOL) dieter myself and the only fats one is supposed to avoid are trans fats - I believe the current versions of keto are the same. I don't actually know what type of fat they use at the omelet stations but I'm guessing it's vegetable oil, which is perfectly fine. The only thing you'd want to watch is that they use whole, real eggs from the shell rather than that nasty tasting powdered stuff.

Anyway, to the OP, my response was not meant to be negative, just to say that IMO low-carb/keto/Atkins is one of the easiest diets to follow on your own on a ship. To be perfectly honest, I usually take a break from low-carbing on cruises, but generally speaking I prefer even my "off plan" meals to be protein and vegetable heavy, with only a small amount of starch, and I find this entirely doable on cruises.

I regret to inform you that vegetable oil is not perfectly fine on a keto diet. Or any other diet, for that matter, if you value your health.

I regret to inform you that vegetable oil is not perfectly fine on a keto diet. Or any other diet, for that matter, if you value your health.

It's certainly not my fat of choice for various reasons, but I don't see any authoritative Keto resources saying it is or should be forbidden on Keto or any other low-carb diet. Avoided due to omega-6 content maybe, but it would have no negative effect on staying in ketosis.

Plain pasta would absolutely not be acceptable on a keto diet. If you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps refrain from joining the conversation. And the eggs cooked to order would be cooked in a fat that's not acceptable on a keto diet.

A keto diet is used to manage several conditions. The OP's question was perfectly legitimate. Sad that people choose to jump all over him, but I guess that's what the world is like these days. This used to be a place for sharing information about cruising. Not so much any more. Sad.

Why be mean? There are nicer ways to correct....

• 5 months later...
On 10/3/2018 at 2:43 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

No offense, but can you not do this on your own? Ask for your protein with no sauce, ask for extra vegetables, and so on. Keto/low-carb diets can work very well on cruises if you are aware of the carb content of your food and drinks. I have successfully cruised with a low-carb lifestyle (Diabetic Type 2) and have actually lost weight on cruises (all those stairs!). It can absolutely be done.

Have fun. 😄

So I had just started Keto in Feb last year and went on a cruise in April. They were very good about bringing extra veggies (huge plates) but what you can't get them to do is leave the starch off. You have to have some willpower. Other than that, I found it quite easy. 

I have been on keto for over a year for health reasons, not as a "lifestyle choice". On my recent Silhouette cruise our dining staff brought the next night's menus so that I could pre-order - I said I needed gluten free meals. That way they knew to leave off things like bread crumbs, etc. that sometimes are in recipes. I could usually get green beans with extra butter, and olive oil and vinegar is available instead of salad dressings. They had heavy cream available in the dining rooms and at the coffee bar. I ignored whatever potatoes they served with the main course (or my husband had extras 😊). It was pretty easy to stay on. They do have a couple gluten-free/sugar free desserts, too (mousse and jello).

• Like 1

On our cruise last month we met a couple who is doing the Keto diet. They didn't seem to be having any problems having their meals altered to suit their needs (within reason, obviously); I heard them ordering a few times and they would just specify that they didn't want the carbs/starch with their order and the waiters complied. 

Honestly.... I am rather perplexed at the discord of this thread.

To the OP:  Nope.... sorry, but I'm fairly certain that Celebrity will not cater to your keto needs.  That will be up to YOU to maintain.  PLEASE...  do NOT get me wrong here... my DH and I are one year into the keto way of eating, and we are both thinner and healthier because of it.  But... there are TONS of eating options on a cruise ship, and it should be relatively easy to make good choices.  I personally will not blink an eye if there's mashed potatoes on my plate, (I won't eat them) nor will I touch the bread basket, and will cheerfully decline the dessert menu every night. That's how we roll...  it's all about personal choices. 

Oh... and hitting the gym every day, taking the stairs every chance we can, and dancing the night away.  Keto ON....

On 10/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

While this is true, this is why I suggested to just do it yourself. There are many choices one can make on a cruise, and surprisingly lots of them are found in the buffet. You can have a salad with no dressing, plain meats, plain pasta with no sauce, eggs and omelets cooked to order - it can be done. 🙂

Well, I’ll be honest, I had no idea what keto was until I read this thread and it appears I follow many of these suggestions in my diet anyway: no sauces, no dressings, no soups, no pasta and omelettes cooked to order. Who’d have thought I was keto - I won’t mention the desserts I consume though 😆. I just order the protein, mainly fish onboard without the sauces, and a plate of steamed vegetables - never an issue. Hope that helps the OP?

I have been doing Keto for about a year...not as strictly as some mind you.  For me it is not a health issue...it is by choice for weight management.

We were on a 12 night cruise last month.  I had no trouble staying away from bread, pasta, potatoes, rice - just either didn't eat them or asked for extra vegetables instead. For me those are carbs that are not worth it.    I had no plans to totally stay away from dessert on my cruise, after all I am on vacation, and I love my desserts.  Instead, I was more discerning about what desserts I had and limited how much of it I ate.    As for alcohol, I did my best to stick to wine which is low carb but also had the occasional cocktail.  When ordering cappuccino, lattes etc I always ordered with Almond milk.    While I know I didn't stay Keto on my cruise, I didn't go off the rails either.  Less guilt that way, and easier to get back to it when I got home.  

I've been eating keto for 16 months and have done three cruises. The first cruise I told the waiters I was low carb and not to bring certain foods. After the first night they were good at keeping the carbs away.   The second cruise I just ordered the entrees (often more than one)  and extra veggies without the carbs.  I just told the waiters not to bring the potatoes, pastas etc. Usually I didn't have to tell them twice.    Did the same for cruise 3. Didn't really have to tell anyone, just avoided the carbs. It's pretty easy to chose keto friendly foods on board.  Ordered the cheese plate for desert but didn't eat the fruit and crackers.

If I ate breakfast I usually got bacon and eggs in one form or another.  For a quick lunch a couple hamburger patties (no ketchup, no bun) with cheese, onions etc. Otherwise I would eat chicken, beef, pork, fish etc. with a salad and/or green veggies.  Never went hungry and never gained any weight.

Avoid sweet drinks i.e, pop, juices, foo-foo drinks etc on keto.   I only drink black coffee, water and unsweetened ice tea anyway so no problems there.

In terms of alcohol, sweetened/mixed drinks are not good on keto. Fortunately I am a scotch/bourbon on the rocks drinker so I have no issue there.  Dry wines are okay so that's what we bring on board and/or order at dinner. 

I do usually bring a big bag of almonds and macadamia nuts for snacks to munch on through out the week (and on the plane in lieu of eating airline food) Large bags are available as Costco.

There is a low carb thread going on the Lose before you Cruise forum on CC

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/90-lose-before-you-cruise/

Edited by mac66