Keto

maxsales

Looks like Royal is having a cruise dedicated to this. You can enter, or get more info here. https://healclinics.com/healcarecruise/

*The 2019 12th Annual Low Carb Keto Cruise sets sail to the Bahamas and Florida for eight days out of Cape Liberty, NJ on May 31, 2019. The Royal Caribbean chefs do not provide a special keto or low carb menu, but will accommodate special requests for butter, whipping cream, etc.

Looks like Royal is having a cruise dedicated to this. You can enter, or get more info here. https://healclinics.com/healcarecruise/

*The 2019 12th Annual Low Carb Keto Cruise sets sail to the Bahamas and Florida for eight days out of Cape Liberty, NJ on May 31, 2019. The Royal Caribbean chefs do not provide a special keto or low carb menu, but will accommodate special requests for butter, whipping cream, etc.

You had me at whipping cream :D

With the Keto diet being the new most practiced fad diet I wonder if anyone has tried to list this as a dietary request with Celebrity? If so what were the results?

No offense, but can you not do this on your own? Ask for your protein with no sauce, ask for extra vegetables, and so on. Keto/low-carb diets can work very well on cruises if you are aware of the carb content of your food and drinks. I have successfully cruised with a low-carb lifestyle (Diabetic Type 2) and have actually lost weight on cruises (all those stairs!). It can absolutely be done.

Have fun. :D

• Like 2

I agree with Langley - you can easily do keto on your own on a cruise. There are always plenty of plain proteins and simply-prepared vegetables available, and usually a decent selection of sugar-free desserts (not always keto, but sometimes). The only thing I would be careful to bring with me is nuts - they seem to be in short supply on cruises, and IMO they make better keto friendly snacks than most of what you will find on board.

There are many popular eating life styles. Celebrity is busy enough and does not need to be catering to life choices. It would be like asking for WW or a few other popluar ones.

Well, busy as they are, Celebrity already offers special diet options for Gluten free, Vegan, lactose intolerant and sugar free. Don't see why addressing a Keto diet would make them any "busyer".

Well, busy as they are, Celebrity already offers special diet options for Gluten free, Vegan, lactose intolerant and sugar free. Don't see why addressing a Keto diet would make them any "busyer".

yes special diet.. all for serious health issues, except a daily Vegan option in the dining room. Keto is a small percent of the population. The crew also deal with countless food allergies. Just ask your server for Veggies of your choice and say no sauce /.

• Like 2

Nuts and the keto diet... when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabeties almost 20 years ago I was searching hard for healthier snacks. I was eating peanuts because they were nuts and I could always grab a bag at most convenience stores at a time when I was working crazy, weird hours and regular meals were hard to manage.. anyway once day I read the bag of that bag of peaunts. 25 grams of carbs in a bag ...so I went back to having two chocolate chip cookies, small ones for about 15 grams of carbs......

Yes, you can do most of the keto diet on your own but things like their bulletproof coffee are hard to make on your own and some of their homemade snacks and treats that are fat loaded could be hard to fine on board.

I believe in my opinion, that Keto, like any other lifestyle diet choice is up to the individual. I follow WW( in maintenance now) but I know what and how much to eat and I pick and choose based on that. I suggest you might read the menu and choose accordingly and do the same in the buffet. You do not have an allergy or a dietary restriction that needs special attention. But again that’s just how I work it.

• Like 1

With the possible exception of Vegan (which could sometimes be considered a religious choice, and is followed by many nationalities around the world) all of the other options are for people with health issues, sometimes serious health issues. Being one of those who has to abide by one, I would ask that the staff be allowed to focus their efforts on diet choices that could be life saving. I know quite a bit about keto as my son is considering it, and I think it would be quite easy to manage on your own. The staff is very accommodating to special requests (such as no sauce on a meat entrée), so it should be very easy. They also are very good about answering any questions about food ingredients should you have any. If you want to, you can ask for the following days menu at dinner and if you have special requests you can put them in a day ahead of time.

Having said all that, I would ask people to remember that there is a health condition that keto does address - this is how the diet came to be. I don't think that is why the OP was asking, but there is a legitimate health reason some people are on keto. To the OP I would suggest that they start the diet quite some time before the cruise to see how it affects them. There are serious health problems that can occur when on keto, and most reliable sources would recommend the diet being utilized under doctor supervision.

• Like 1

With the possible exception of Vegan (which could sometimes be considered a religious choice, and is followed by many nationalities around the world) all of the other options are for people with health issues, sometimes serious health issues. Being one of those who has to abide by one, I would ask that the staff be allowed to focus their efforts on diet choices that could be life saving. I know quite a bit about keto as my son is considering it, and I think it would be quite easy to manage on your own. The staff is very accommodating to special requests (such as no sauce on a meat entrée), so it should be very easy. They also are very good about answering any questions about food ingredients should you have any. If you want to, you can ask for the following days menu at dinner and if you have special requests you can put them in a day ahead of time.

Having said all that, I would ask people to remember that there is a health condition that keto does address - this is how the diet came to be. I don't think that is why the OP was asking, but there is a legitimate health reason some people are on keto. To the OP I would suggest that they start the diet quite some time before the cruise to see how it affects them. There are serious health problems that can occur when on keto, and most reliable sources would recommend the diet being utilized under doctor supervision.

My original post simply asked if anyone had listed Keto as a dietary option and if so what the results were. Seems like a simple question. A person's choice of what eating protocol is. well. personnal.

The Keto diet, and restrictions associated with it, date back to the 1920 when it was discovered to help control seizures in individuals suffering from epilepsy. Modern use of the Keto diet is for promoting a healthier lifestyle and controlling blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes.

The central point to a Keto diet is low intake of carbohydrates and sugar. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if there can be accommodations made for individuals who are using this diet to protect their health. Many dishes have hidden Carbs and sugars, it is difficult to always make the right food and beverage choices when you are not actually preparing the meal yourself.

All that being said I am somewhat surprised by the somewhat negative comments my post has generated, lighten up folks it's food and I wasn't asking you to prepare it!:):):p

• Like 1

Well worded.. My sister .. a type 2 diabetic went on Keto and followed perfectly . Then became deathly ill. After 6 months she still has not recovered and is still unable to work

The central point to a Keto diet is low intake of carbohydrates and sugar. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if there can be accommodations made for individuals who are using this diet to protect their health. Many dishes have hidden Carbs and sugars, it is difficult to always make the right food and beverage choices when you are not actually preparing the meal yourself...:):p

While this is true, this is why I suggested to just do it yourself. There are many choices one can make on a cruise, and surprisingly lots of them are found in the buffet. You can have a salad with no dressing, plain meats, plain pasta with no sauce, eggs and omelets cooked to order - it can be done. :)

While this is true, this is why I suggested to just do it yourself. There are many choices one can make on a cruise, and surprisingly lots of them are found in the buffet. You can have a salad with no dressing, plain meats, plain pasta with no sauce, eggs and omelets cooked to order - it can be done. :)

PASTA:eek:

• Haha 1

My husband has been a Type 2 diabetic for more than 2 decades and it is well under control. You don't need keto or any fetish diet to keep carb intake under control.

Look for meals without breading on meat, no sauce, no pasta, no rice, limit potatoes. Ask about how the food is marinated etc. No fruits, yep most fruits except for berries are loaded with carbs. Once in a while he has a few berries.

He takes no more than 15g of carb at each of his 3 meals, more often than not, about 5 to 10g of carbs only. As his wife, I sacrifice going to most Asian restaurants as most items are loaded with carbs. His most recent A1C is 5.5. Yep, that is a normal number. He is on pills only and no insulin. We exercise daily. To be healthy it takes hard work but it is well worth it.

My husband has been a Type 2 diabetic for more than 2 decades and it is well under control. You don't need keto or any fetish diet to keep carb intake under control.

Look for meals without breading on meat, no sauce, no pasta, no rice, limit potatoes. Ask about how the food is marinated etc. No fruits, yep most fruits except for berries are loaded with carbs. Once in a while he has a few berries.

He takes no more than 15g of carb at each of his 3 meals, more often than not, about 5 to 10g of carbs only. As his wife, I sacrifice going to most Asian restaurants as most items are loaded with carbs. His most recent A1C is 5.5. Yep, that is a normal number. He is on pills only and no insulin. We exercise daily. To be healthy it takes hard work but it is well worth it.

so basically he is on a Keto diet.

• Thanks 1

But he does not do high fats.

It is called a diabetic diet.

I guess you could call it anything you like but if you limit your carbs to 25G per day and you are on a maintenance plan of 1800 calories a day you will be eating a lot of fat or you will be way over doing your proteins. If you way over indulge in proteins (without carbs available) they turn into sugar This process is called gluconeogenesis. You have then negated the low carb aspect of your diet.

Plain pasta would absolutely not be acceptable on a keto diet. If you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps refrain from joining the conversation. And the eggs cooked to order would be cooked in a fat that's not acceptable on a keto diet.

A keto diet is used to manage several conditions. The OP's question was perfectly legitimate. Sad that people choose to jump all over him, but I guess that's what the world is like these days. This used to be a place for sharing information about cruising. Not so much any more. Sad.

Have a relative who is well versed on Keto and travels widely speaking on the topic. She always takes her own snacks & treats. She finds the variety of vegetables limited in the dining room; zucchini, radishes, turnips, beets, squash aren’t served often if at all. By bringing her own snacks and treats she has a more variety and is able to maintain her Keto diet.

Plain pasta would absolutely not be acceptable on a keto diet. If you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps refrain from joining the conversation. And the eggs cooked to order would be cooked in a fat that's not acceptable on a keto diet.

A keto diet is used to manage several conditions. The OP's question was perfectly legitimate. Sad that people choose to jump all over him, but I guess that's what the world is like these days. This used to be a place for sharing information about cruising. Not so much any more. Sad.

very nice, thank you.

My original post simply asked if anyone had listed Keto as a dietary option and if so what the results were. Seems like a simple question. A person's choice of what eating protocol is. well. personnal.

The Keto diet, and restrictions associated with it, date back to the 1920 when it was discovered to help control seizures in individuals suffering from epilepsy. Modern use of the Keto diet is for promoting a healthier lifestyle and controlling blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes.

The central point to a Keto diet is low intake of carbohydrates and sugar. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if there can be accommodations made for individuals who are using this diet to protect their health. Many dishes have hidden Carbs and sugars, it is difficult to always make the right food and beverage choices when you are not actually preparing the meal yourself.

All that being said I am somewhat surprised by the somewhat negative comments my post has generated, lighten up folks it's food and I wasn't asking you to prepare it!:):):p

The one time we cruised with Celebrity, on the Summit almost 2 years ago, I was able to follow a low carb regime pretty easily. I did it by choosing salad, cheeses, plain proteins, limited fruit (I'm low carb, not sure about fruit on keto) eggs for breakfast, etc.

It took diligence on my part, such as avoiding mixed dishes on the buffet which had obvious carbs like rice added, or a sauce, especially a thick gravy like sauce or anything sweet and sour. Best to avoid saucy dishes altogether. I ate plain veggies and added butter or vinegar. Aquaspa café by the thallasotherapy pool does light meals, including poached or broiled salmon or chicken at lunch, and they have a small salad bar there as well.

Aqua Spa café is closed for dinner, but if you find yourself at the Ocean View buffet, they also have a cook to order station for fish, chicken and beef. Also someone else suggested bringing some of your own snacks, like nuts. I agree with this, as last time it seemed the gift shop onboard had lots of carby snacks like candy and crackers, not much of a selection of nuts or jerky. We thoroughly enjoyed the Summit, looking forward to going back. Cheers!