Discount for 55?

TyBaby

I was just wondering if there is a real discount given for age 55 and over when you book. My next cruise to book will be in 2021 and I will be turning 55. Planning to book an Alaskan cruise and need all the breaks I can get! I have done mock bookings but the price doesn't change when I tried selecting "55 and over". Just curious...:)

Not really.

Cruise lines advertise the discount but only on select (their selection) sailings only.

When you get ready to book, you'll be asked your age and if you were in military, and what State you live in, etc. If any of those discounts are applicable (95% of the time they are not), they will be applied.

I see the senior rate often. I only see it show up two to three months before the cruise. It is always a guarantee rate.

In November 2015, I booked the senior rate for my cruise in February 2016. I was able to choose my room. I haven't seen the version that lets you choose your room since.

Carnival still has the terms for both versions on their site.

I was just wondering if there is a real discount given for age 55 and over when you book. My next cruise to book will be in 2021 and I will be turning 55. Planning to book an Alaskan cruise and need all the breaks I can get! I have done mock bookings but the price doesn't change when I tried selecting "55 and over". Just curious...:)

My husband is 10 1/2 years older than me. I tried booking our cruise with his VIFP number and mine. He did get a discount that I didn't get so we went with his pricing.

I never see the 55+ discount until it gets very close to sailing, then it's generally a "guarantee" rate. But the prices are reasonably discounted if you can hold off to book your cruise until the last minute.

Have never had a discount for senior.

On Carnival you can save 10% when you buy the AARP gift cards. You do not have to be 55 or a member to buy.

I recently bought 16 $500 gift cards for our family Alaska cruise in June of 2019. It cost $450 (plus postage) and 5,000 AARP points for a $500 Carnival gift card. Points are easy to earn. I used the gift cards to pay off the balance on three cabins and had $7.60 left over. I plan to buy more for service charges, pictures and excursions.

I learned about this from the "Cruise Critic" community.

Wow. Thanks for all the info. Probably wont be able to take advantage on the next cruise I book but hopefully not too far down the road. I'm a planner and its hard for me not to book well in advance. ;p

On Carnival you can save 10% when you buy the AARP gift cards. You do not have to be 55 or a member to buy.

I recently bought 16 $500 gift cards for our family Alaska cruise in June of 2019. It cost $450 (plus postage) and 5,000 AARP points for a $500 Carnival gift card. Points are easy to earn. I used the gift cards to pay off the balance on three cabins and had $7.60 left over. I plan to buy more for service charges, pictures and excursions.

I learned about this from the "Cruise Critic" community.

Where did you go to purchase the AARP gift cards?

Depends on whether they have a promo for 55 & over that cruise. About the only promos available on all sailings are things like military/ past guest/interline at least with Carnival Cruise Line. They vary by cruise line /ship / sail date.

You can sign up for emails to get specials with most cruise lines.

If you have an American Express card there are often statement credits for Carnival or the other brands of the World's Leading Cruise lines. Thus far on our Jan. 2019 cruise I got a $100 statement credit for making a $500 payment, then a $75.00 statement credit for a $350 payment and just last week I made a $750 payment and got a $150 statement credit. You do have to sign up for them on the AMEX site. Each one is a nice 20% back. It all added up to $325 off the cost of the cruise.