Questions about the Solarium on RCI Quantum class ships

We have sailed twice on Ovation of the Seas & really enjoyed the Solarium area at the front of the ship. Our first trip was from Singapore to Beijing on the last leg of it's maiden voyage & this area was accessible by anyone over 16.

This year we sailed from Shanghai to Japan & back on Quantum of the Seas & we were denied access to the Sloarium as we had only booked a balcony stateroom & not booked a suite. The access doors were controlled by suite holders room cards.

We are on Ovation of the Seas again next February from Sydney to New Zealand & are concerned that the Solarium may be out of bounds to us as we are again in a balcony stateroom.

Can anyone advise me if all the Quantum class ships have followed the same standard for the Solarium that we found on Quantum of the Seas?

Nope. On Anthem anyone can use the Solarium as long as they are 16 or older. We spent a lot of time in there 2.5 years ago. We're back onboard in 12 days and will probably spend some time there again. We were in a balcony cabin last time and a JS this time. The asian cruises are completely different than any other. Lots of gambling and shopping and as you found, different rules for some spaces.

^ there are many things that are different when ships sail out of China.

I'm okay with differences, I expect them. I did not expect this, and I need to find more information about the actual differences that may make a difference to me.

When we were on Quantum of the Seas sailing out of Shanghai you had to pay for the North Star & the iFly which were both free in Australia & our first cruise on Ovation in Asaia.

Do you know why??????? In China, when a outside company comes into China, the way the company operates must be negotiated. For example, when you buy a cruise, you just go online and buy a cruise......In China, the rooms are sold to a wholesaler, who in turn distributes to travel agents. There is very little price fluctuation. Prices are set and have to be negotiated. The lower prices mean the cruise line needs to regain $$$$ from other services. Even the price of drinks are regulated on the ship.

Check out what Disney had to go through to operate in China.

For the poster, the cruise line operates differently in China.

You wouldn't go on an Asian Cruise because of one swimming pool?

Everyone cruises for different reasons, and your ideas of what is important is only relevant to you. This comment had nothing to do with the swimming pool, and more to do with the enclosed area that is kid free. I'm already frustrated about the flights and availability of business class reward seats, so this is another item on my list that is beginning to make me second guess. I can cancel this cruise up to the day before and not lose a penny, so there is no concern there.

• Like 1

That’s why it’s good to do your research and that’s what’s good about forums.

A few people I know got a different experience when they sailed out of China.

Good and bad but different.

Unfortunately, some research is hard to do, when you do not know what to look for. I would never have guessed this about the solarium, so how would I go about researching it? You know what I mean? I have already researched cuisine, activities, entertainment, culture, etc.

I would love if there was a comparison chart between the two (US epartures/Asian departures) that would show what is different.

Do you know why??????? In China, when a outside company comes into China, the way the company operates must be negotiated. For example, when you buy a cruise, you just go online and buy a cruise......In China, the rooms are sold to a wholesaler, who in turn distributes to travel agents. There is very little price fluctuation. Prices are set and have to be negotiated. The lower prices mean the cruise line needs to regain $$$$ from other services. Even the price of drinks are regulated on the ship.

Check out what Disney had to go through to operate in China.

For the poster, the cruise line operates differently in China.

But what if person bought a cruise not through Chinese agent?

P.S. For me not being able to use Solarium on overcrowded Quantum class ship would be a big deal too. This is a very controversial class, but Solarium is one of the features we continue to use Anthem.

I would love if there was a comparison chart between the two (US epartures/Asian departures) that would show what is different.

This would be outdated the day it is published. You'll have to keep reading Quantum threads to see what's different.