Diamond Happy Hour - Is sharing OK?

Brandis

3 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

I am recently diamond so Iam new to this party, can I ask for virgin frozen drink as well at any bar?

no frozen drinks, virgin or otherwise... 

Very limited menu 

29101958_10215272649387120_6858253095578369019_n.jpg

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

🤷‍♂️ you mean Cabotage as in PVSA? No issue as it leaves Canada.

Correct. While on Serenade this summer, several folks were discussing the issues with boarding her in NJ initially.  That was the potential problem, B2B cruisers.  

12 hours ago, rolloman said:

Funny reading all these diamond folks justifying their abuse of the system.  Won't be long now until they restrict the use of the coupons. Kind of like Carnival does....1 coupon to be used on the last night after 5pm lol.....and then when they take diamond lounge away and make it the diamond plus lounge the crying really will begin...… I have a novel idea keep your perks to yourself and they are intended so you don't screw it up for everyone! 

Added- The Drink coupons were an attempt to fix the overcrowding issue...they have nothing to do with cookies, laundry, internet or any other perk, nor can they be compared. Like I said above, if the trial gets abused.....party over.

EXACTLY!

10 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

But if you had coupons for free cookies that would be different.;>)

The entire "cookie analogy" is stupid.  The cookies aren't designated "Diamond use only."  The cookies are free on the ship 24 hours a day so anyone can get them.  But what isn't free for all, what is only for "Diamond use only" are the hors d'oeuvres in the Diamond Lounge.  You can't go into the lounge, grab 4 plates, pile them full of hors d'oeuvres, and take them out to your friends.  At least not according to the rules.  Sharing the drinks costs the cruise line revenue.  The person you share with is not purchasing a drink.  But  it's no cost to them to give a Diamond member drinks during happy hour, it just lessens the Diamond lounge crowding.  That's why they aren't "3 free drinks per day for use anytime," but only limited selection, during the happy hour hours.  

But do what you wish.  But as has been said many many time before, quit publicly advocating breaking any of the rules, and quit publicly talking about it!  You used to be able to sneak alcohol on board using various methods.  The people bragged about it on Cruise Critic, now the cruiselines all check for those well known methods.  RCCL was the only cruise line that allowed only one person in the cabin to buy a Drink Package.  So people on cruise critic bragged about sharing and now everyone over 21 must buy the Drink Package.  So now people brag about buying one Drink Package and one Refreshment package and sharing... so guess what goes next?  Want to keep 3 free drinks for Diamond?  Then the answer  to the question is "NO you can't share your 3 free drinks."

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Correct. While on Serenade this summer, several folks were discussing the issues with boarding her in NJ initially.  That was the potential problem, B2B cruisers.  

Yeah, that is still an issue as far as I know, same for Ovation going from Hawaii to Seattle, via Vancouver - can't do B2B.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Yeah, that is still an issue as far as I know, same for Ovation going from Hawaii to Seattle, via Vancouver - can't do B2B.

So Ovation from Sydney to Vancouver B2B via Hawaii is ok, you just can't stay on to Seattle for the 3rd leg.  So what is the current repo trip from Vancouver to Seattle, Alaska or a shortie?

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

So Ovation from Sydney to Vancouver B2B via Hawaii is ok, you just can't stay on to Seattle for the 3rd leg.  So what is the current repo trip from Vancouver to Seattle, Alaska or a shortie?

11 day Alaska, was trying to add it to the Hawaii repo.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

11 day Alaska, was trying to add it to the Hawaii repo.

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I had a long discussion in the CL about this on Radiance Southbound on her final run of the season a month or so ago.  Bottom line - if you embark in a US port, you cannot disembark in a US port (if it isn't closed loop).   

There's more to it than just that and yes there are rare exceptions such as San Juan repos.  If NCL ever gives up the Pride in Hawaii, such an exception might be considered for Hawaii but as long as a US flagged carrier is operating there it's not going to happen. 

There were Aussie's on board Radiance staying on through Hawaii to Sydney but that is allowed because they disembark in Sydney.

For Radiance:

Vancouver to Hawaii 

Seward to Vancouver to Hawaii 

Seward to Vancouver to Hawaii to Sydney 

Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver to Hawaii  

For Ovation

Hawaii to Vancouver 

Hawaii to Vancouver to Seattle 

Sydney to Hawaii to Vancouver to Seattle 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

A lot of folks were quite upset that they had to do a B2B2B to make it a legal cruise(QC to NJ to QC to FL). Other folks were allowed to do a B2B NJ to QC to FL witch is not a legal cruise.

Edited by FLACRUISER99
Spelling

8 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

A lot of folks were quite upset that they had to do a B2B2B to make it a legal cruise(QC to NJ to QC to FL). Other folks were allowed to do a B2B NJ to QC to FL witch is not a legal cruise.

Interpretation,  it is a separate cruise.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, Brandis said:

I don't like to drink alcohol and I have booked the Refreshment Package for our upcoming cruise, so I'm pretty much covered with any drinks I would want. As a Diamond Member, I get the 3 free drinks every evening during Diamon Happy Hour. Am I allowed to give those drinks away or is it the same as with the beverage packages and for personal consumption only?

I was thinking on getting 3 glasses of champagne for my friends for sailaway while I have some ginger ale or so 🙂

And to be clear, I don't talk about getting drinks from the lounge for my friends, strictly the 3 drinks which are loaded onto my ship pass every night.

The 3 free drinks don't need to be alcohol - I have gotten bottle water and soda in the past

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You really have to ask?

Inconsistencies abound.

Why did some get to do B2B?

Did 2 threads get merged together accidentally?  I am not sure what this conversation has to do with drink coupons from the Diamond lounge.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

Did 2 threads get merged together accidentally?  I am not sure what this conversation has to do with drink coupons from the Diamond lounge.

No controls over free drinks on Adventure.

And then it drifted away.....🚢

Edited by John&LaLa

16 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The entire "cookie analogy" is stupid.  The cookies aren't designated "Diamond use only."  The cookies are free on the ship 24 hours a day so anyone can get them. 

How about the white bath robes those are exclusive for platinum and above right? 

I guess I can’t share it with my friend either .....

It always surprises me why some folk get so hot under the collar about issues like this.  As long as you only obtain 3 happy hour drinks on your card what does it matter what you do with them, you could empty them into the nearest plant, pour them down the sink, drink them yourself or hand one to a friend, its the same cost to RCI whatever you do.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It always surprises me why some folk get so hot under the collar about issues like this.  As long as you only obtain 3 happy hour drinks on your card what does it matter what you do with them, you could empty them into the nearest plant, pour them down the sink, drink them yourself or hand one to a friend, its the same cost to RCI whatever you do.

Nope, you are wrong on this one. It doesn´t matter if you empty them into the nearest plant, pour them down the sink or drink them yourself - that´s the same cost to RCI. However when you pass them on to a friend it´s lost revenue for RCI, as if you didn´t do this, the said friend would most likely have bought a drink which RCI would have made big bucks on. So handing a drink to someone else is costing RCI.

While I have an opinion on the sharing of drinks I´m certainly not getting worked up about it, as nothing anybody says on here will change peoples behaviour. Same with other hot topics like tipping or dress codes.

However I do think if you share your drinks - be discreet about it. There´s no need to blast about it on a message board how you got away with it. People get away with stuff all the time, but the more people blast about how they game the system it will result in closed loopholes and changes in the system which most of the time will have a negative effect on everybody else.

That´s why I say, I can´t change what you do, but at least be discreet about it.

• Like 2