Can mail be sent from the ship?

margoula

I have done it on every ship I have sailed (I collect postcards - but prefer when they have been mailed).   You have to make sure that you have the correct stamp for the country that the mail is being sent from.  You can buy stamps from guest services.  Just note that it may not be mailed as promptly as you expect.  I found that on my Princess cruise from Alaska that the cards took over a month to arrive.  Interestingly all three arrived on the same day - all the way from Alaska to Gibraltar (Europe).  

As shof515 said, you can mail them in port. I've seen shops that sell post cards that also have postage. Since you already have the cards to mail, it would be best to find a post office branch. Having a foreign stamp and postmark would be neat.

John

The ships do not have a post office, so you wouldn't see any special ship postmarks. There aren't mail boats that drive to meet the ship and take away mail. LOL!  If you leave it with guest services, which will likely be declined, it would simply be sent at the next port. It would make more sense for your to do it yourself.

Edited by LrgPizza

Years ago the ships use to have wooden boxes hanging on the wall by guest services that said "Mail".  I put my post cards in thinking it would be fun having them sent from another country.  I received the post cards and they were stamped "Miami".  Was told they hold onto the mail until they got back to Miami. Doy, that's no fun! I have not seen or looked for those mail boxes in years though.  Best bet would be to mail them in port.

LOL. On Curacao I noticed a sign saying they sold stamps and postcards at the Liqueur factory.  I already had some postcards, with messages and addresses on them.  The clerk offered to put the stamps on them and mail them for me.  All I had to do was give her money for the stamps.

Of course, not a single postcard ever made it back home.

I always put my return address on the post cards,  so hopefully they'd be returned to me in case of non delivery.

Guest services has stamps for the ports, and told me that mail is taken off of the ship in every port.  My cards were eventually delivered to the recipients, long after I returned home.