First Cruise Planning Help

Aerdna28

Hi,

I am looking to book a cruise for summer 2019, August or July 2019. The cruise will be for a group of 6 people; four people aged 25-30 and two aged 50-60, 3 couples, 3 rooms. This will be a first cruise for everyone going.

We live in the UK and are looking at 9-14 night cruises that depart from Southampton or any other European port. Ideally we would like to go on a Baltic cruise or a cruise and visit some of Scandinavia/Russia/Northern Europe.

I am not really sure what cruise would be best for us; I have been looking at cruises such as Royal Caribbean’s 12 night Baltic cruise, Princess 14 night Baltic Heritage cruise and Celebrity 12 Night Scandinavia and Russia cruise, but am not sure how to decide.

Could anyone that has been on a similar cruise recently point me in the right direction, suggest other cruises to look at or recommend any cruises/cruise lines that you think would be suitable for the group of people going, or any to avoid.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks 

All you all deciding this together, or have they tasked you with picking the cruise?  I would lay the three itineraries, with cost, out to each couple and have them discuss it and tell you what they like and why.  Then maybe you should get together and talk it over.  Research the ports to see what you might like to do there.  (Remember, not everyone has to do the same things in port).  For most of us, a longer cruise trumps a shorter one, but it still depends on itinerary.  Since you are all from the UK, you might also look at P&O-UK Britannia...EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Thank you for your response. The two younger couples are deciding on the cruise as it is a gift for the older couple. We like the itineraries on all three of those cruises, 12-14 days is the longest as some people only have limited time off work, and the prices of these ones are within our budget. 

We are just not sure which cruise line or ship would be most appropriate for us or how the ships for each of the cruises I mentioned compare with one another. 

I will have a look at P&O and Britannia, Thanks.

Since this is your 1st ship, any will do just fine.  Those itineraries are all about the sights you'll see...not so much about the ship. Decide where you want to go, then choose the cruise line that will take you there.  I'd base it on cost, because the actual amenities on the ship will be more alike than different.

Have you checked any extra expenses on these ship? I'm asking because not every new cruiser knows about the tipping involved, which can be quite a few $$ per person per day, plus I think all those lines you mention charge an automatic tip on any bar sales. This can add to the original cost. 

Two lines which don't have any tipping are Marella (Thomson) and P&O, which finishes tipping as from next May. 

For P&O, you'll have to fly to S'ton, unless you're coming by ferry. We have sailed from Newcastle with Fred Olsen, with people from Belfast who have driven via  Cairnryan… just a thought....

Also there's a Cruise and Maritime ship which sails out of Dublin...

Marella goes from Newcastle, and might be more to the liking of the younger people, as the other two lines from there (Fred Olsen and C&M) seem to have slightly older people on board.

All the 4 lines I've mentioned charge pub prices for bar sales, and no extra tips.

Enjoy choosing!

We did a R/T to the Baltic with CMV out of Tilbury last year. It was very much a budget cruise line, but it was an enjoyable cruise with excellent ports.

As others suggested, I would also check itineraries from Fred Olsen, P&O-UK and TUI (Marella?)

My dad uses Fred Olsen a couple of times a year, boarding in either Greenock or Southampton. When we checked them last year, they had options out of Newcastle. We would have preferred them over CMV, but timing didn't work.

• Like 1

We did Baltic on Royal Princess....it was fantastic.....having said that, PO are good as well....something you might want to know..you can take off the gratuities if you want on both Princess and PO..maybe some others as well..Regarding the Baltic..I always say it was worth the price of the cruise just to see ST PETERSBURG.......wonderful city. We had a private guide at the time who has now started her own company.....cost less than half the cost of ships tours, and was 100 times better...picked up at 9 both mornings return at 5-30...or whatever time YOU WANT. She will tailor the tour to suit you...I can absolutely recommend her...her company is REDSUN-TOURS....but if you want a private tour I can give you her PERSONAL email...just message me. you wont be sorry

3 hours ago, slug33ukuk said:

We did Baltic on Royal Princess....it was fantastic.....having said that, PO are good as well....something you might want to know..you can take off the gratuities if you want on both Princess and PO..maybe some others as well..

While you always have the ability to adjust them, P&O-UK have recently announced they are eliminating the auto-tips, I believe this will happen in May 19

It has been so long ago we did this that I can't offer anything relevant.  All I can say is it is a great itinerary and I'm a little jealous.  I hope we can do a Baltic trip again some time.   

Enjoy.