Swiss-based Dufry offers new onboard shops for 8 HAL ships

OlsSalt

From the Swiss-based duty free shopping organizaion  Dufrey website: not known which 8 HAL ships

Expanding the portfolio by adding vessels of the Holland America Line

The new agreement with Holland America Line covers a total of 1,744 m2 of retail space distributed across eight ships for a period of five years. The shops will offer a wide range of products including all core categories such as liquor, tobacco, perfumes and cosmetics and confectionery but also categories like sundries, souvenirs, apparel, leather and fashion accessories, sunglasses, electronics, souvenirs as well as fashion & custom jewelry.

Moreover, Dufry and Holland America will develop a new souvenirs and logo program that will elevate the on-board retail experience and reflect the premium cruise-line brand. The Holland America Line is a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation, based in Seattle, United States. It has a fleet of 14 ships covering the main routes in Alaska, the US West- and East Coast, the Caribbean, North- and South Pacific and South America.

“We are reimagining the on-board shopping experience at Holland America Line by bringing on more regional items, premium products and quality logo gear”, said Orlando Ashford, president, Holland America Line. “Just as we have elevated many areas of our cruise product over the past few years, we anticipate that the retail enhancements will be popular with our guests and establish us as a retail leader in our industry”.

6 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Was it an improvement? They were not on the recent Maasdam. I suspect they will go on the higher passenge number ships.

They were better than their last partnership but could still be improved upon.  I bought Clinique and L’Occitane products because they were cheaper than on land, however they fell short in their other products like clothing and souvenirs.

Edited by *Miss G*

11 hours ago, Jammu2 said:

I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks if there was some quality goods aboard.

I'm a failure as a shopper though. You have to hook me and reel me in! Good luck!

I'm with you, Jammu.  HAL has missed out on revenue from me because they just don't carry the type of merchandise they did when I first started to cruise.

Roz

Just finished our 11-day cruise on the Zuiderdam this morning and we liked what we saw in the shops.  It was freezing cold in Canada at the beginning of our trip and I was able to find a reasonably priced jacket that kept me warm.  Mine just said Canada and New England on it, but my husband's was Holland America.  Both we nice and just what we needed.  They had new style totes and wristlets that had Zuiderdam on them, plus a good selection of Zuiderdam souvenirs - magnets, pens, keyrings, etc.  They did have some generic things that said Holland America 2018 season - those weren't too exciting.  The Oprah stuff that was left (some books) were on deep discount and the rest of the items were gone.  Overall, we enjoyed the shops and spent more than we had on our last cruise (Oosterdam in January) when it looked like they were emptying the shelves and not restocking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope that there will be a selection of ship specific logo items and not all of the generic "dam ships" stuff.

Agree about the ship-specific stuff but I really missed the dam ships merch earlier this year.

Glad to hear that Zuidy seems to have some of the products that were very much lacking in Maasdam's shops.

Recent Maasdam (first post-dry dock EXC InDepth) did have more Maasdam logo items in the HAL logo shop. Things are changing. But main shops were fairly unappealing. When will they realize that many in the HAL's female demographics are no longer into very short shirts and sleeveless items?

Edited by OlsSalt