Honolulu Hotels

NSWP

stels you mob who are regulars to Hawaii, any recommendations for hotels - Waikkiki/Honolulu for 8 nights post cruise?    Don't be shy, fire away.  No back packers hostels, please.😅

Edited by NSWP
erro

Have stayed at Hilton Waikiki Beach (not Hawaiiian Village) and Outrigger Waikiki Beach and both were fantastic! The Hilton is cheaper but same standard because it’s a block or two back from the beach but an easy 3 minute walk to the beach anyway. Anything Waikiki charges a premium for being on the beach so up to you to decide how important that is. 

If the budget is there, have only heard absolute rave reviews about the Halekulani. 

On on the flip side the Ohana’s and Aston’s are good budget friendly 3 stars just don’t expect luxury 😉

Interested in peoples recommendations too, have stayed for a week after a cruise previously, but was in our timeshare and too hard to get the dates, it was just behind the Halekulani.

Will be reading with interest:classic_biggrin:

Outrigger Reef. Beachfront. Great location- easy walk to many restaurants and shopping areas. Can also walk to Ala Moana shopping centre via the beach and marina. Trolley to Diamond Head and many other places included in Resort Fee.

We've stayed at a few different mid price hotels but keep coming back to the Ohana East. It's a block back from the Waikiki beach front, an easy walk to shops, restaurants, and the trolley to Alla Moana. Rooms are soacious and clean, balconies are small but usable. Nice outlook.

I have stayed at the Circle Hotel in the past.  I believe it has had an update since my last visit.  It was very compact... with room for 2 queen sized beds, very small bathroom and fridge.  More like a motel room really, BUT it is beach front, just across the road from main swimming area.  At the zoo end.  If you take the front rooms you have wonderful view of all the activity.  Watch the lanterns being lite every night.  Half a block from statue.   Eggs and More underneath.

I think it was the Outrigger Reef we stayed at in 2006,exellant hotel and location.The only downer was when we arrived about 10 at night we managed to grab a meal in the restaurant,we left a 10% tip.Next morning at breakfast there was a note saying,"we expect a 20% tip in our country".Left a bitter taste,so next time I left 5% lol.The majority of restaurants were Chinese or Japanese.We found the Red Lobster around the corner to be the best value for seafood and steaks.Cheers,Brian.

9 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

8 days? I’d book an apartment at the Ilikai. Tons on VRBO. We’ve stayed at the Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, Moana Surfrider, all of them are good. 

Just wondering what is VRBO. I'm from Australia.

Thanks

4 hours ago, cheznandy said:

I had heard of it too but not know the meaning, I guess like AirBnB.

Sort of, but different. Airbnb originated for the sharing market, whereas VRBO was for holiday rentals i.e. entire homes only. Now that Airbnb has grown, and more corporate types list multiple properties, their differences have become less.

VRBO is also part of the homeaway group, which took over stayz for those familiar with the local operation.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:49 AM, Cruise Junky said:

8 days? I’d book an apartment at the Ilikai. Tons on VRBO. We’ve stayed at the Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, Moana Surfrider, all of them are good. 

We have stayed in the Ilikai. Spacious rooms on the pink trolley stop. You can walk to the Ala Moana Mall

+1 for the Ilikai.

Book a condo through Waikiki Beach Rentals that manage the condo side of things. Fantastic location  at the quieter northern end of Waikiki within walking distance of much. Right next door to Hilton Village and therefore the best vantage point for the Friday night fireworks show from your lanai and with a good view of their luau every night if you book an ocean view condo. Very nice apartments for around $150 a night and having tried others they are pretty hard to beat. We'll be there again next September before catching Golden Princess in San Francisco. Nice stopover. 

Me again, thanks for all the replies folks, checked out all your suggestions on TripAdvisor etc.  Am going with Embassy Suites (Hilton) in Waikiki.  Apartment Hotel with bedroom and living area plus balcony.  breakfast included and happy 2 hours, complimentary drinks and snacks, plus entertainment at night.

Thanks again sportsfans.

Edited by NSWP

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Me again, thanks for all the replies folks, checked out all your suggestions on TripAdvisor etc.  Am going with Embassy Suites (Hilton) in Waikiki.  Apartment Hotel with bedroom and living area plus balcony.  breakfast included and happy 2 hours, complimentary drinks and snacks, plus entertainment at night.

Thanks again sportsfans.

Interesting choice. The extras provided by Embassy Suites are always wonderful to have but this hotel is a long way out of the action. But hey, at around $500 a night  I reckon you've probably got more money than most of us here 😂 

10 hours ago, sailco said:

Interesting choice. The extras provided by Embassy Suites are always wonderful to have but this hotel is a long way out of the action. But hey, at around $500 a night  I reckon you've probably got more money than most of us here 😂 

?? a long way out of the action? It's in the middle of the action.  It's right off Lewers above Roys. 

On 10/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, Busy Mum said:

According to Google it means - Vacation Rentals by Owner!  I had no idea either. 🙂

Like Europe’s and our Airbnb?

Edited by Porky55
Grammar

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thanks again sportsfans.

Is this little vacay at the end / beginning of a cruise too NSWP? 🤔

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Is this little vacay at the end / beginning of a cruise too NSWP? 🤔

At the end of our cruise, Noordam - 15 days , Sydney to Honolulu -21 April to 5 May.    8 nights in Honolulu.  Just a short trip this time.

Edited by NSWP

17 hours ago, sailco said:

Nowhere near $500.  US $300 a night inc local taxes and no resort tax.  Booking direct with Hilton with Honors loyalty and seniors discount.  Not a lot of decent cheaper accommodation in Honolulu/Waikiki.   The Aussie dollar is currently only worth US 71 cents.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:03 AM, NSWP said:

At the end of our cruise, Noordam - 15 days , Sydney to Honolulu -21 April to 5 May.    8 nights in Honolulu.  Just a short trip this time.

Nice - we have 10 days on Noordam in January.

Now these are sweet, mid class sized ships with great promenade decks, right amount of pax etc. Not perfect but pretty close  😏 

Edited by Porky55
Grammar