Ok to bring your own case of water bottles ?

mulliganmaven

First time cruiser, about to set sail to MR in about a month. Have gotten conflicting info on whether it's ok to bring a case of sealed bottles of water with us? I've been told they'll put a luggage tag on it and deliver to stateroom.  But their online guidelines say you can't.  Has anyone cruised on Princess recently know for certain?  Thank you! 

I have brought a case of water with me frequently and have never had issues.  I put a luggage tag on it and it always gets delivered to our stateroom.

Welcome to cruise critic and cruising!!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

We have always taken a case of water, attached a luggage tag and it was delivered to our stateroom.   As of last February, we did that for our 10 day cruise.  Hopes this helps you and really hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do.  Relax and enjoy.

Can you link to the "online guidelines" that say you can't take a case of water aboard? I've never heard of such a restriction. I'm not doubting what you say but would like to see the wording. One never knows what kind of weird changes Princess might decide to make.

Edited by Thrak

14 minutes ago, mulliganmaven said:

First time cruiser, about to set sail to MR in about a month. Have gotten conflicting info on whether it's ok to bring a case of sealed bottles of water with us? I've been told they'll put a luggage tag on it and deliver to stateroom.  But their online guidelines say you can't.  Has anyone cruised on Princess recently know for certain?  Thank you! 

You can pre-purchase bottled water through your Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website.  You get a dozen 16.9oz bottles of Crystal Geyser or Dannon or some such brand for a pretty low price -- I want to say about $6, give or take?  It's a very good deal when you consider that you don't have to stop and purchase it on land and shlep it to the pier.  Instead, it's delivered right to your cabin and will probably be there when you board or at least by that first evening. 

Edited by rdsqrl
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mulliganmaven said:

Where does it say this??

41 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

You can pre-purchase bottled water through your Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website.  You get a dozen 16.9oz bottles of Crystal Geyser or Dannon or some such brand for a pretty low price -- I want to say about $6, give or take?  It's a very good deal when you consider that you don't have to stop and purchase it on land and shlep it to the pier.  Instead, it's delivered right to your cabin and will probably be there when you board or at least by that first evening. 

Yes $6.90

You can bring water on, don't worry about that.  I would call Princess directly rather than and take what they say since where you booked is giving you incorrect information. Princess allows you to bring both water and soda on board without restrictions. 

Just can't mention travel agents on the site!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Done this on Princess numerous times. Note, on one cruise, luggage was being delivered to the hallway outside the cabin. Someone had done as suggested and had attached a tag to a case of water. There it sat perched on top of the luggage, just the right height for idiot pax to steal bottles. When we passed, about a third had been taken. We use duct tape to re enforce corners and edges. We have also fabricated handles for easier carrying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Can you link to the "online guidelines" that say you can't take a case of water aboard? I've never heard of such a restriction. I'm not doubting what you say but would like to see the wording. One never knows what kind of weird changes Princess might decide to make.

oops, i guess i wasn't supposed to post company i purchased cruise from. they had sent me a link that said it wasn't allowed but i'm finding out that's not the case. this is good to know! but one the work week starts i'm going to see if i can get that info from them again. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Where does it say this??

oops, i guess i wasn't supposed to post company i purchased cruise from. they had sent me a link that said it wasn't allowed but i'm finding out that's not the case. this is good to know! but one the work week starts i'm going to see if i can get that info from them again. 🙂

20 minutes ago, mulliganmaven said:

I would venture to say maybe they are quoting Carnival guidelines?

That is not the case on Princess.

• Like 1

Yes, you can bring your own.  Lots of people here have expressed how they stamp a luggage tag on it and it shows up in their room.  I prefer to just pay for two cases to be delivered to my room.  Princess prices are so reasonable for pre purchased water.  On board, it's a different story, but pre-purchasing is a good deal, $6.90 per 12 500 ml bottles plus I don't have to carry it anywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Yes, you can bring your own.  Lots of people here have expressed how they stamp a luggage tag on it and it shows up in their room.  I prefer to just pay for two cases to be delivered to my room.  Princess prices are so reasonable for pre purchased water.  On board, it's a different story, but pre-purchasing is a good deal, $6.90 per 12 500 ml bottles plus I don't have to carry it anywhere.

It is not about the price of buying the water on board, it's the Coke Cola brand of water they have.  It's horrible.  So, without hurting anyone, we bring our own case of Zephyrhills Spring Water and it arrives at our stateroom door, all 40 bottles intact and I'm a happy cruiser!!  That's just my thing and I'm just saying...to each his own. 😎

3 minutes ago, #love2cruise said:

It is not about the price of buying the water on board, it's the Coke Cola brand of water they have.  It's horrible.  So, without hurting anyone, we bring our own case of Zephyrhills Spring Water and it arrives at our stateroom door, all 40 bottles intact and I'm a happy cruiser!!  That's just my thing and I'm just saying...to each his own. 😎

Oh absolutely!  That is the nice thing about Princess, the ability to bring your own non alcoholic beverages on board.  If I had a water preference I would absolutely bring it.  I was just mentioning the convenience of it, and the price isn't bad.  I get it 🙂

• Like 1

We’ve brought our own water that went with our checked luggage. We’ve also ordered it from Princess. We do not notice any difference in taste between the two. The convenience is sure worth ordering it to us. 

22 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would venture to say maybe they are quoting Carnival guidelines?

That is not the case on Princess.

This makes a lot of sense. Carnival had a lot of problems with people trying to smuggle liquor onboard in water bottles and such and they decided to pretty much stop allowing water to be brought on their ships. It was a case of some messing things up for everyone. Of course there really was a large number of liquor smugglers on Carnival... :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

I used to bring a flat of water for ports that we'd drive to but now that it's so easy to order the water from Princess and it's only .575 cents per bottle, it makes it so much easier just to order it from them.  I usually order 2 sets of water.  One I have them bring to the cabin right away and the other, I call for them to delivery about 1/2 way through the cruise.  That way, I don't have a ton of the bottles taking up room in the cabin. 

On 10/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, mulliganmaven said:

In the olden days (5 years ago) we used to do what others did, slap a luggage tag on a case of water and send with porter. Now we always pre-purchase our water by the case and it is in our room when we embark. So easy. $6.90 for 12 bottles.  

• Like 1

One I have them bring to the cabin right away and the other, I call for them to delivery about 1/2 way through the cruise.  That way, I don't have a ton of the bottles taking up room in the cabin. 

Drives Like Mario -- this is a great idea, but where do they store the extra case of water, and where do you call for it?

Thank you,  from EBC

Or you can just drink the water from the tap.  It is perfectly good for drinking.  That is what we always do and have for over 25 cruises.   According to some staff we asked about this, the tap water is a product of desalination and is pure as the bottled water.