How early are porters ready to accept your luggage at Pan American pier?

LidoBoy

Red-eye flight arrives at SJU at 5:10am on day of cruise.  One idea to kill time would be to drop off luggage with cruise port porters and then take a taxi somewhere for breakfast and return early afternoon to board the ship.

This is a cross-post with the San Juan PR board.  Didn't get any response, so checking here.

Thanks,

Tom

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

San Juan porters start taking bags later than any other port we've used.  The last few times we've been there, it's been between 10:30am and 11am.

In the several times I cruised from there it was right around 10:30.  The one time we got there at 10:30, they started a couple of minutes after that.  

I did some searches it seems Barrachina restaurant offers luggage storage.  The restaurant opens at 7am with luggage storage available between 9am and 5pm.   They have a website.

There are one or two others mentioned here and there

Also it seems that the airport has luggage storage...

Does the airport have a luggage storage service?

Yes, the Baggage Services Cooperative is responsible for storing your luggage. For more information you can contact (787) 791-3371 or write an email to: lacooperativa1974@gmail.com

2 hours ago, gatour said:

I did some searches it seems Barrachina restaurant offers luggage storage.  The restaurant opens at 7am with luggage storage available between 9am and 5pm.   They have a website.

There are one or two others mentioned here and there

Also it seems that the airport has luggage storage...

Does the airport have a luggage storage service?

Yes, the Baggage Services Cooperative is responsible for storing your luggage. For more information you can contact (787) 791-3371 or write an email to: lacooperativa1974@gmail.com

sorry I didn't mention this, we have done it three times, post cruise. It didn't occur to me to mention it for pre- cruise! I wasn't aware of the 7am time.  We enjoyed several good lunches here. 

The restaurant is downtown, so you would need a taxi there plus another taxi to the Pan American pier on the other side of the bay.  Same problem with using the airport storage - you would need to taxi back to the airport to get your bags and then taxi to the pier. 

Biggest problem we have had with airport service is their hours.  Erratic and may have to wait 1/2 hour for them to show up even when scheduled as open.  Plus $10 a bag last time we were there.  Since airline wouldn't take bags more than 4 hours before flight had to use it once.  No place to sit and only a coffee shop for food outside security.

If you can confirm Barrachina opens at 7AM that's probably the best option.  Wouldn't likely be much open in Old San Juan early except some places to eat breakfast, but just taking a walking tour around the old city would be better than sitting at the port or airport for 5 hours.

46 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

If you can confirm Barrachina opens at 7AM that's probably the best option.  Wouldn't likely be much open in Old San Juan early except some places to eat breakfast, but just taking a walking tour around the old city would be better than sitting at the port or airport for 5 hours.

Barrachina doesn't open to 11:00 AM.

2 minutes ago, xsteph1022x said:

They open before 11am to take bags.  We just dropped bags off last saturday around 930am.   There was no charge just tip. They have info on their website as well.

Thanks for the correction concerning luggage drop off. 

I would normally agree with the 10:30am timing...however this past September and Freedom being a new (larger) ship at the Pan American pier the porter's were very unorganized even at 11:00am....hopefully that has now improved.

We had to go to 3 different porter desk's before we found the one that was taking luggage for our cabin location (this has never happened before..usually any of the porter's will take it) and then they couldn't find luggage tag's.

Edited by Ashland