Dining on the Epic

tigers317

We booked on the Epic for February with a group of 8 adults. We normally sail Royal Caribbean, but wanted to give Norwegian a try. How does the dining work on the Epic? I read they have free style dining on ncl, but do you still have a make reservations each night or do you just show up? Also we are thinking of doing the 3 night dining package. Is it worth it on the Epic or should we stick to the main dining? Sorry, I have a lot of questions, but looking forward giving ncl a try.

You are not required to make a reservation but it is wise to make one. You can just "show up" but risk having to wait or possibly not being allowed into the restaurant at all if it is fully booked for the night.

Getting (either via promo or purchase) a SDP is a good deal since the price per meal on the package is almost always less than if paying a la carte.

The MDRs are fine but the specialty restaurants are an option just like the other options on the ship. Some options are worth it, some are not. Only you can decide that.

Epic is a unique ship and if you do your research (many people dislike the bathroom setup in the majority of staterooms), you'll be fine.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

we did 4 night dining on escape when we booked sailaway rates a while ago.  I thought the specialty restaurants were fantastic.  

I don't mind the buffet or MDR, at all, but I will say the SDP is a great option. 

We are on the epic end of November and got 5 free at sea, thrilled.  I'm sure you'll have a fantastic voyage on the Epic...but, yeah, the bathroom setup sure seems odd!!!

Personally I wouldn't book MDR ....

The Manhattan Room is the more formal dining room and will have live music/entertainment some nights.

Taste is the more casual dining room, both have the same menus. 

Book your specialty dining NOW otherwise you might not get in, or you might only get an undesireable time option.

55 minutes ago, tigers317 said:

Ok, so making reservations for the  main dining room now. What's the difference between The Manhattan Room and Taste?

The menus are the same each night. Manhattan Room has live music and dancing during dinner. Manhattan has big, aft facing windows behind the stage. Taste is slightly smaller and mid-ship. 

Like MyTime dining, you can make a reservation or just show up when you are hungry and when it fits your schedule. You get shown to a table for your party, no sharing. 

Never sailed on the Epic, but did sail on the Escape (similar dining options).

We don't make reservations in advance, it ruins our free style vibe.  We don't know whether we are going to get back from shore late and be starving or come back on board early, eat a huge lunch, and not want to eat until later.   We don't know if we will feel like dressing up a bit, or not.  We don't know whether we really want to take in a show or give it a miss. 

I sailed on a very full Escape as a party of 10....and we had no problems getting dinner with very few reservations: and none of those were made in advance of sailing.

We did make reservations once on board for Moderno for 10 for the first night, and LeBistro for 6 on a different night.  Our last day on board, we were able to get reserve a table for 8 in Cagney's at 8:00pm.   For the rest of our dinners, however many of us were hungry at any given time showed up to wherever we decided to eat and we were able to be immediately seated or seated after only a short wait.

I know you are travelling with a larger group, and maybe you are risk adverse, but my advice is to not try to make reservations for each night, to be a little more Norwegian and go with the flow.   Your mileage may vary, but we have not had problems not planning our dining ahead.  There are tv screens on board that show table availability you can use as a reference.

Hope this helps!

If you want to dine together as a group of 8 in either of the main dining rooms, you should make a reservation. A party of 8 is not a problem as such, but without a reservation there is no guarantee that  a table for 8 will be ready when you want it.

If you get the dining package and Teppanyaki is a must go for the group of eight then I highly recommend making reservations.  It is a smaller venue than most and has specific dining times due to nature of cooking in front of guests.

Also, if planning on going or reserving for certain shows then once you know the times, your group may wish to consider making MDR reservations to fit in dining and entertainment without conflict (particularly on sea days).

Additional information on Manhattan room is the Burn The Floor troupe (if still on ship during your sailing) performs there on occasion, and if there are ballroom dancers in your group there is live music (and plenty of room) to dance while waiting for the next course.

Cheers!  Roehl

• 3 weeks later...

I'm following along as I am considering booking on Epic as well.  We have previously sailed with Royal Caribbean.  Debating whether we should pay extra and get a suite in the Haven with the suite dining benefits, or just book two balcony rooms (and deal with the weird bathroom setup) but be able to take advantage of the freebies for guest 1&2 in each (4 of our party of 6)?    

I went ahead and booked.  Hubby and I got ultimate beverage pkg, and 2-night dining package, 100 minutes of internet and 1 shore excursion credit (though I thought that was supposed to be $50 in EACH port).  3rd, 4th and 5th were $199.  We didn't qualify for free air.

Just got off Epic today and it was a nightmare getting dinner reservations.  Rumor was they didnt have enough servers which i tend to believe because when we walked by all of the 'sold out' restaurants, most were half empty.  We bought the 3 specialty dinner package and hard a hard time using all three.  My advise would be book the 3 on your package the minute you get on the ship.