Tell Me About 5 Night Cruises

lvz2cruz

We have never done less than a 7 night cruise and are looking at a 5 night sailing on Infinity this winter.   

Other than the obvious 2 less days, how are they different?

Are there two formal/gala nights?

Is there a CC party?

How is the entertainment at night?  Is it one less production show and maybe one less musician or comedian?

Do you feel it's worth going through embarkation, muster drill, unpacking and the packing and disembarkation so soon after?

I feel the longer the cruise the better, but this is the one that fits our schedule at this time.  

Thanks.

Well, we did a 5 night cruise awhile back. It seemed that I spent the time counting down the days. So soon until we leave. I prefer 7 night or longer cruises now. Actually we prefer the transatlantic the most, up to 15 days, many delicious sea days to relax and unwind. It’s a personal thing I guess, my brother would find 5 days on a ship entirely too long!

• Like 1

I’m contemplating a short one just to fill in a gap while I’m down south.  I’m hesitant because it’s such a short period and I think I would just get unpacked and then I’d be getting my disembarkation paperwork.  

So far the shortest I’ve done is seven days but I much prefer long cruises with B2B compnenets.   I’ve found that with a shorter the cruise, the usual Celebrity demographic is different and not in a positive way.   

19 minutes ago, coldweathergirl said:

I’m contemplating a short one just to fill in a gap while I’m down south.  I’m hesitant because it’s such a short period and I think I would just get unpacked and then I’d be getting my disembarkation paperwork.  

So far the shortest I’ve done is seven days but I much prefer long cruises with B2B compnenets.   I’ve found that with a shorter the cruise, the usual Celebrity demographic is different and not in a positive way.   

One of The Thanksgiving Cruises  this year is for five nights.  This definitely attracts extended families that have limited vacation time and children’s school schedules that need to be followed.  Plenty of people take five night cruises, very unkind that you think that  these kind of cruisers affect Celebrity in a negative way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happy 2 b cruising said:

One of The Thanksgiving Cruises  this year is for five nights.  This definitely attracts extended families that have limited vacation time and children’s school schedules that need to be followed.  Plenty of people take five night cruises, very unkind that you think that  these kind of cruisers affect Celebrity in a negative way.

I’m just speaking from experience of a few week long cruises in January that I took on the Summit a couple of winters ago, there were a lot more young party people on board than on the longer cruises.  I almost felt like I was on Carnival.  

My apologies if I offended anyone.  

15 minutes ago, happy 2 b cruising said:

It's a known fact that shorter cruisers attract people that party 24/7 and sleep when the cruise is over.  

6 minutes ago, coldweathergirl said:

I’m just speaking from experience of a few week long cruises in January that I took on the Summit a couple of winters ago, there were a lot more young party people on board than on the longer cruises.  I almost felt like I was on Carnival.  

My apologies if I offended anyone.  

No one should be offended.  It is well known that many on short cruises do not sleep until the cruise is over.   I think it is more common on cruises over a weekend.  The one I am looking at takes up much of the workweek, so I'm hopeful it's more quiet.  

We did a 4-night RCCL a couple of years ago and doing a 5-night in 2 weeks.  I view them entirely differently than a longer cruise, which we take 95% of the time.  A short cruise can be perfect for those who -- especially at certain times of the year -- want a break but can't afford the time of a longer cruise.  Also, those who are looking for a cheaper vacation.  For us, it's about getting away for a few days -- we have minimal expectations regarding shows, food, excursions, etc.  They may be great, but we're not worried if they aren't.

We actually didn't get off the ship on the short cruise (to the Caribbean).  We found that, on port days, we largely had the ship to ourselves for much of the day.  Alone in the pool, no waits at the bars, etc.  Perfect (for us).

Short cruises definitely cater to a younger crowd and you have to expect that, especially at certain times of the year.  But we found the situation no worse (and somewhat better) than a 10-night summer cruise where 1/3 of the passengers were children. 

1 hour ago, lvz2cruz said:

It's a known fact that shorter cruisers attract people that party 24/7 and sleep when the cruise is over.  

Only been on 2 cruises - ever. Both were Celebrity - one was 7nights (Reflection) and one was 5 (Eclipse). Did not encounter anything of the sort on either one. I’ll keep my eye out for them though on our next cruise which is also 7 nights. 

I'd struggle as 7 nights is too short now.  Like someone else said, I'd be counting the days.  I used to take weekend cruises when we first started cruising but not anymore.  Ten nights are about the shortest we'll go even if it means not cruising every year.

As others have mentioned it will probably be a livelier cruise.  Not bad, just livelier. 

Enjoy

I did a B2B2B on Millie a few years ago.  Two 5 days and one four.  I was told I would notice a difference between the demographic/behavior on the four, and he was right.  Never saw wife-beater shirts and shorts wandering around the ship oon formal night on the 5 day cruises.  EM

Did a 5 day cruise two years ago and fully enjoyed it.  I prefer a longer cruise (10-12 days) but when your life doesn’t allow it a quick 5 day cruise can do the trick.

As far as a different demographic, we did find the age a bit younger but we also noticed fewer families.  

We we booked another 5 day cruise for March.

40 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I did a B2B2B on Millie a few years ago.  Two 5 days and one four.  I was told I would notice a difference between the demographic/behavior on the four, and he was right.  Never saw wife-beater shirts and shorts wandering around the ship oon formal night on the 5 day cruises.  EM

Were there one or two formal nights?   Do you remember how many production shows on the five nights?   Thanks

7 hours ago, lvz2cruz said:

Were there one or two formal nights?   Do you remember how many production shows on the five nights?   Thanks

From Celebrity web site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. 

We have never done a cruise less than 7 days.   For Celebrity, our shortest cruise was 11 days.

I suspect that Celebrity 5 day cruises aren't like the NCL Sky 3 day cruise that my Son and his friends took.  Everyone had a beverage package and the ship was loaded with the wife beater T shirt types, most of them drunk and many of them rude.

1 hour ago, gimletgal said:

From Celebrity web site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. 

Thank you .   I really did search their website before asking..   It has changed so many times it's hard to find info.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lvz2cruz said:

Thank you .   I really did search their website before asking..   It has changed so many times it's hard to find info.   

Agreed! I have found that if you go all the way to the bottom of the front page and click on "site map" that that is where you can usually find what you're looking for. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

We have only done one 5 night cruise and made the serious mistake of booking during college spring break.  So can't compare that to the 'normal' 5 night cruise.  I would imagine the crowd type will largely depend on the time of year, but overall I would expect more younger people.  I would NOT expect a Carnival type experience.  ( I guess I will find out as we are doing B2B 4 and 5 nighters this December)

As to whether it is worth it?  Of course, unless the airfare cost is prohibitive.  If you can, add a couple days pre-cruise to chill in Florida.  Even if you can't do that, it is still a nice long week-end type of getaway.   In my working days I took many long week-end trips to stretch my vacation days and I always enjoyed them.  Why would a cruise be any different?

Of course, a longer cruise is better BUT if can only go on a 5 day its better than no cruise.

We've done a 4 night and a 5 night on the Constellation and never felt like it was a party ship.  Yes, the crowd was a bit younger than your 10+ day cruises but we still felt we got the same Celebrity service.   Yes, only 1 dress up night, no CC party.

We will be on the Infinity for the 5 night Thanksgiving sailing and I'm sure it will still be less kids than we had on our 8 night Thanksgiving sailing on the Independence of the Seas.   Yes, there will be more kids than a longer Celebrity cruise, but this is over a school break.  Other 5 night sailings would not be the same.

24 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

We have only done one 5 night cruise and made the serious mistake of booking during college spring break.  So can't compare that to the 'normal' 5 night cruise.  I would imagine the crowd type will largely depend on the time of year, but overall I would expect more younger people.  I would NOT expect a Carnival type experience.  ( I guess I will find out as we are doing B2B 4 and 5 nighters this December)

As to whether it is worth it?  Of course, unless the airfare cost is prohibitive.  If you can, add a couple days pre-cruise to chill in Florida.  Even if you can't do that, it is still a nice long week-end type of getaway.   In my working days I took many long week-end trips to stretch my vacation days and I always enjoyed them.  Why would a cruise be any different?

We are booked for ten nights at Disney over Thanksgiving then the next week. We love Christmas season there but ten nights is too long so I looked for a cruise to split the time. A seven night cruise would be great but not enough time at Disney. So the 5 nights look good from that aspect. 

24 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

Of course, a longer cruise is better BUT if can only go on a 5 day its better than no cruise.

We've done a 4 night and a 5 night on the Constellation and never felt like it was a party ship.  Yes, the crowd was a bit younger than your 10+ day cruises but we still felt we got the same Celebrity service.   Yes, only 1 dress up night, no CC party.

We will be on the Infinity for the 5 night Thanksgiving sailing and I'm sure it will still be less kids than we had on our 8 night Thanksgiving sailing on the Independence of the Seas.   Yes, there will be more kids than a longer Celebrity cruise, but this is over a school break.  Other 5 night sailings would not be the same.

We are looking at the 5 night right when you get off. I'm not a kid hater, but expect less big and little kids as college and school will be back in session. 

I tacked one of these 5-day cruises on to one I already had booked for a B2B once upon a time.  Never again.  TONS of kids and drunks.  The kids would be across the hall from their parents' cabin and would bang back and forth constantly.  Running up and down the halls.  The drunken woman across the hall from me apparently didn't grasp the need to carry her seapass with her and was banging on her cabin door and yelling for her husband/whatever to open up at 1:30 in the morning.  I was just about to call security when she finally succeeded in waking him up and got into the cabin.

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I tacked one of these 5-day cruises on to one I already had booked for a B2B once upon a time.  Never again.  TONS of kids and drunks.  The kids would be across the hall from their parents' cabin and would bang back and forth constantly.  Running up and down the halls.  The drunken woman across the hall from me apparently didn't grasp the need to carry her seapass with her and was banging on her cabin door and yelling for her husband/whatever to open up at 1:30 in the morning.  I was just about to call security when she finally succeeded in waking him up and got into the cabin.

Depends what time of year you book.  We're just off a 4 day Halloween cruise, weekday, with nearly no kids or drunks.  Christmas, Spring, or Summer breaks?  Have fun.