Downloaded movies from laptop watched on stateroom TV

coldinerie

It depends on which TV you get. First, you would need a USB-C to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. As coevan said, many of the TVs are locked now to be unable to switch inputs. Depending on the ship, you may get a TV that has an HDMI and can change inputs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

16 hours ago, coldinerie said:

Does anyone know if I can connect my Surface Pro to the stateroom TV via USB cable and watch downloaded movies and tv programs on the stateroom TV.

A few years ago, it was easy, but not now!  Last cruise...inputs disabled except the connected cable input.  

I can't quite understand, why,  if they provide a TV in the cabin.... we can't watch what we want... not  the limited variety of movies, shows etc.... offered by the cruise line?  They are not getting any extra money if we watch CCL TV channels only?  Are They??

We just bring our larger laptop now, and watch the movies we bring on it.   If,  we even watch TV....?  Sometimes the laptop stays in the luggage, and the TV stays off.

Edited by jwjax

2 minutes ago, jwjax said:

I can't quite understand, why if they provide a TV in the cabin....why we can't watch what we want... not  the limited variety of movies, shows etc.... offered by the cruise line?  They are not getting any extra money if we watch CCL TV channels only?  Are They??

because the tv system is connected to system that the ship can control. In extreme emergency, they can display messages or their own video. Very similar to the land based emergency broadcast system

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

because the tv system is connected to system that the ship can control. In extreme emergency, they can display messages or their own video. Very similar to the land based emergency broadcast system

That is a good reason,  but if the TV is off....do they also turn it on remotely???  

My theory... they want you to only watch the channels where they play sales ads, for everything from jewelry to excursions etc...  IMHO!:classic_cool:

6 minutes ago, jwjax said:

That is a good reason,  but if the TV is off....do they also turn it on remotely???  

Yes.If the TV and the equipment they use is HDMI CEC compatible, they can turn it on remotely. 

6 minutes ago, VaTech8912 said:

Many have had luck bringing a universal remote (with programming instructions for various TVs) to then change the input on the TV.  I am trying this on my next cruise since my computer screen is too small.

I just found this link.  I have not checked it out thoroughly though.   It may be useful to some cruisers.

https://www.mantripping.com/stuff/how-to-watch-your-own-movies-on-a-cruise-ship-tv.html

Edited by jwjax

43 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Yes.If the TV and the equipment they use is HDMI CEC compatible, they can turn it on remotely. 

And they can watch you through the hidden camera!     And turn your lights on/off, TV, and lock your doors!!!   

"Outer Limits"

Be sure to unplug your cabin/bedroom TV, when not in use!!  Also, cover up any IFRD ports and cameras!  Oh my!!:classic_ohmy:  And don't sail into the Bermuda Triangle unless you are prepared!:classic_cool:

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by jwjax

5 hours ago, jwjax said:

A few years ago, it was easy, but not now!  Last cruise...inputs disabled except the connected cable input.  

I can't quite understand, why,  if they provide a TV in the cabin.... we can't watch what we want... not  the limited variety of movies, shows etc.... offered by the cruise line?  They are not getting any extra money if we watch CCL TV channels only?  Are They??

We just bring our larger laptop now, and watch the movies we bring on it.   If,  we even watch TV....?  Sometimes the laptop stays in the luggage, and the TV stays off.

Another fly in the ointment; the TV's are mounted flush to the wall. Getting to the inputs is next to impossible. I used to hook my Bluetooth speaker to get better sound quality but, that like a lot of little amenities has gone by the wayside.

4 hours ago, zippyjet said:

TV's are mounted flush to the wall. Getting to the inputs is next to impossible

I guess not all ships the Dream and conquest class, last three cruises all had easy access. I could plug in my HDMI but could not change the input to HDMI 2. I'll try a universal remote on our next cruise.

The hospitality industry is always one step ahead of the guests with regard to the TV. At this time they work hard to keep the TV in the room. If the F connector is disconnected, the front desk and security is alerted. Next was to have TV makers include hospitality models that can easily be programmed for channel assignments and on screen display of channel name. They  also make it possible to turn on the TV for announcements. They allow the house to disconnect the inputs and remote codes to access them on the TV. Usually the user control buttons are also disabled. 

The reason they do this is to avoid responding to trouble calls because a guest has changed the input on the TV and CNN is no longer there. In a hotel the shortest measure of time is that between when the TV signal goes off and the Front Desk get phone calls.

Finally, the latest models, like those on the Vista and Horizon are password protected so people can't use their phone or universal remotes to over ride the house settings.  It's a cruel world...

8 hours ago, Moviela said:

The reason they do this is to avoid responding to trouble calls because a guest has changed the input on the TV and CNN is no longer there. In a hotel the shortest measure of time is that between when the TV signal goes off and the Front Desk get phone calls.

I am pretty sure that trouble calls are not the problem.  If someone knows how to plug in and change the source input, they usually change it back prior to checking out.  If not, it only takes 30 secs to reset the TV??

Lost Revenue $$  is the reason....  If you are restricted to the cruise line channels,  you are a "prime advertising" subject!  

Bring you're laptop or large tablet and avoid the ads....., if you want to watch a movie etc.,  plus watch your downloads!  Best to download prior to cruising though!:classic_cool:  

2 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

As mentioned, not on all ships.

IMG_1745 (578 x 434).jpg

On the older class ships, this is true. On the Glory, Conquest, and Victory, I was able to hook up my Bluetooth speaker for enhanced sound. As a matter of fact, the Victory cruise (2013) still had an old school tube TV! My 8 other cruises (all CCL) had flat screens. On the Vista and Horizon, TV's were flush to the wall. Maybe if you are dexterous you could hook up peripheral electronic gadgets. For me with ham hands, it's tough on Vista Class ships.

14 minutes ago, zippyjet said:

On the older class ships, this is true. On the Glory, Conquest, and Victory, I was able to hook up my Bluetooth speaker for enhanced sound. As a matter of fact, the Victory cruise (2013) still had an old school tube TV! My 8 other cruises (all CCL) had flat screens. On the Vista and Horizon, TV's were flush to the wall. Maybe if you are dexterous you could hook up peripheral electronic gadgets. For me with ham hands, it's tough on Vista Class ships.

This picture was taken on the Conquest. 

6 hours ago, jwjax said:

I am pretty sure that trouble calls are not the problem.  If someone knows how to plug in and change the source input, they usually change it back prior to checking out.  If not, it only takes 30 secs to reset the TV??

If it is possible to change the input from the remote it will be done accidentally and then the front desk is called.  I wish I could disable the ability to switch inputs on my mom's tv....  If there's a button that shouldn't be pushed but it can be pushed, then it will be pushed.   Then it's mayhem lol

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the CB they fed the TV's via an Ethernet cable & although the remote din't have a way of switching the TV input, there was a switch on the front bottom of the TV that could change it to HDMI so that you could use your own device. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 tries to get it to switch since the toggle switch was a little flaky, but it did work. 

Their coax first went into a box mounted behind the TV & a Ethernet cable fed the TV. 

All the inputs were accessible since the 43" TV were mounted on the shelf above the fridge. 

On 11/2/2018 at 7:20 AM, jwjax said:

They are not getting any extra money if we watch CCL TV channels only?  Are They??

Probably not but they prefer you out of the cabin where you are more likely to spend than in your cabin where you for sure will not, except maybe a room service upsell order. 

• Like 1