Bringing another child on board

shorti503

I tried searching this because I know the question has been asked before but I'm still having issues with the search engine.

We are sailing on Adventure in January and right before final payment my in laws that were supposed to be joining us backed out. So at the last minute we decided to ask my 16 year old niece to join us.  She is over the moon excited as she's never been on a cruise before.  I know there is a form that we need to have her parents fill out, where do I find that?  Also does that form allow me to sign the waivers for her?   Is there anything else that I need to bring for her that I may not be thinking of? Her parents got her a passport so well have that.

7 minutes ago, shorti503 said:

I tried searching this because I know the question has been asked before but I'm still having issues with the search engine.

We are sailing on Adventure in January and right before final payment my in laws that were supposed to be joining us backed out. So at the last minute we decided to ask my 16 year old niece to join us.  She is over the moon excited as she's never been on a cruise before.  I know there is a form that we need to have her parents fill out, where do I find that?  Also does that form allow me to sign the waivers for her?   Is there anything else that I need to bring for her that I may not be thinking of? Her parents got her a passport so well have that.

In addition to the appropriate ID documents for the child, you need a notarized letter signed by the parents giving consent to:

Take the child on the trip.  Include dates, ship name, countries.

Make medical decisions for the child.

Sign waivers for the child.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-family-legal-documents-do-i-need-to-board

7 minutes ago, shorti503 said:

This is what I have used many times, this one is for the Father of the child to sign, depending on the circumstance I had one signed my the Mother or the Father or both

travel generic.doc

Along with the above permission to treat letter, I would also make sure that you had her medical insurance information.  Also make sure that her insurance is valid outside the US. Also a good idea to know her immunizations are up-to-date and have knowledge of any medications she takes or allergies. 

As someone that has worked in a medical center in the islands, PLEASE have the allergies listed and state that all immunizations required in the US are current. There is no need to list all the vaccines the child has and their dates. The local medical facilities will have that information.

As someone else has said make sure it is notarized. 

I take "my littles" frequently and always have a letter signed by both mom and dad. Some people have said it is overkill but once we needed a flight back to the US for an unknown allergy and it really did help move things along. There is no way someone can be prepared for everything but it is wise to be as prepared as you can be, 

Thank you all so much!  That was the file I was trying to find and I honestly never thought of medical release form from her parents.  I appreciate all the suggestions.  We are so excited to bring her with us and I'd much rather be over prepared than not prepared enough

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shorti503 said:

Thank you all so much!  That was the file I was trying to find and I honestly never thought of medical release form from her parents.  I appreciate all the suggestions.  We are so excited to bring her with us and I'd much rather be over prepared than not prepared enough

Will she be in your cabin?

Definitely bring the required documents with you just in case, but know that when we sailed in April with my daughter's friend (age 15), they never blinked an eye and didn't ask for anything other than her passport at check in.

16 hours ago, sandy toes said:

As someone that has worked in a medical center in the islands, PLEASE have the allergies listed and state that all immunizations required in the US are current. There is no need to list all the vaccines the child has and their dates. The local medical facilities will have that information.

How will they have that?  I know my doctor does not have a list of all vaccinations I have had.  I get virtually NONE from them.

Also, all required WHERE?  What is required in one state or school district may not be the same in another state or school district.

And why would you not want to have that info on a cruise?  And make someone call the US and root out the info?

18 minutes ago, SRF said:

How will they have that?  I know my doctor does not have a list of all vaccinations I have had.  I get virtually NONE from them.

Also, all required WHERE?  What is required in one state or school district may not be the same in another state or school district.

And why would you not want to have that info on a cruise?  And make someone call the US and root out the info?

Anyone’s primary care physician should have a listing of their patient’s vacinnations and procedures. When I get my annual check up my physician goes over what I need to update - examples like tetanus, shingles, and procedures like colonoscopy or mammogram.  Your doctor should have a listing of all your shots and medications. 

Basic in childhood immuniZations are pretty much the same all over. 

Much better to have allergies, medications, even blood type in case of an emergency. 

I get most of immunizations from my employer (lots of international travel), not my primary care physician.  I get my flu shot from the local Target (they pay my $5 to get my flu shot there for free).

Basic childhood immunizations are NOT the same all over the world or even all over the US.

And also WHEN was the person a child?  That makes a HUGE difference.  When I was a child, there was NO Hep A vaccine.

Edited by SRF

6 hours ago, SRF said:

I get most of immunizations from my employer (lots of international travel), not my primary care physician.  I get my flu shot from the local Target (they pay my $5 to get my flu shot there for free).

Basic childhood immunizations are NOT the same all over the world or even all over the US.

And also WHEN was the person a child?  That makes a HUGE difference.  When I was a child, there was NO Hep A vaccine.

Most states have immunization registries, so although the clinic at your employer is giving you your shots, your primary care doctor (and others) can look you up to see what you have received. I  must get a flu shot at my employer or not have a job any longer. We used to have to give them a receipt, now they just look us up in the registry. Just to double check it was there I had my primary doctor look for it when I went in for a physical. 

In my state I could look my information up on the registry as long as I used my ss number.

Electronic medical records are making it easier to keep track of these things. Yes, things might not be the same all over, but having a list of what you have had is very handy.

1 hour ago, WisconsinFan said:

Most states have immunization registries, so although the clinic at your employer is giving you your shots, your primary care doctor (and others) can look you up to see what you have received. I  must get a flu shot at my employer or not have a job any longer. We used to have to give them a receipt, now they just look us up in the registry. Just to double check it was there I had my primary doctor look for it when I went in for a physical. 

In my state I could look my information up on the registry as long as I used my ss number.

Electronic medical records are making it easier to keep track of these things. Yes, things might not be the same all over, but having a list of what you have had is very handy.

I agree.  Also I feel that any good primary care physician routinely will ask when you visit if there are any changes in your health status, new medications, shots, etc. It’s just part of a routine physical.  Even my dentist does that - had my teeth cleaned a few weeks ago and hygienist took my blood pressure and asked for current meds and any health changes since last visit. 

SRF:

The American Academy of Pediatrics sets the standard for all childhood immunizations in the US. That is what foreign nations use as their reference point.  

Yes, they change over the years but according to the child's age, it is easy to determine what was supposed to have been given at any age. Tetanus is frequently an issue when traveling.

I had said to "state that all immunizations required in the US are current". You would not be able to add that if you have decided not to have your children immunized for whatever reason. 

IF someone just wants to list the date of the last tetanus vaccine, they could certainly do that. 

Grandma Dazzles: Your addition of Blood type is a great idea. I have been in some areas where the response time is not what we are used to in the US, and a type and cross might not be routinely done. 

It is always good to see so many responses and opinions. 

17 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Again, maybe, maybe not.

My employer is the USG.  I get my vaccinations from them.  They maintain a record of what they have given me, but do NOT share any information with any other repository.  

Since I typically get my flu shot on my own (and have gotten other ones), my employer does not have a record of those.

But that is why I maintain and carry my ICOV.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Again, maybe, maybe not.

My employer is the USG.  I get my vaccinations from them.  They maintain a record of what they have given me, but do NOT share any information with any other repository.  

Since I typically get my flu shot on my own (and have gotten other ones), my employer does not have a record of those.

But that is why I maintain and carry my ICOV.

Mine is the state government 🙂 and they report to themselves! Because of this, my doctor does have all the records.

Edited by WisconsinFan

1 hour ago, PrincessBelle39 said:

We are travelling from Australia but cruising on Allure of the Seas.  We are bringing my daughters boyfriend who is 17.  My travel agent has advised that we don't need anything as he is over 16.  I hope this is correct.

Not sure what you mean by “any thing.”  He is a minor - there are some things you do need. See post #2. Others are primarily recommendations. 

On 11/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, WisconsinFan said:

Mine is the state government 🙂 and they report to themselves! Because of this, my doctor does have all the records.

That is fine.

But I take exception to statements that may apply to the person making the statement, but it labeled as EVERYONE HAS, as everyone does NOT have.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:22 AM, PrincessBelle39 said:

We are travelling from Australia but cruising on Allure of the Seas.  We are bringing my daughters boyfriend who is 17.  My travel agent has advised that we don't need anything as he is over 16.  I hope this is correct.

Would you rather have a few extra pieces of paper?  Or be standing on the dock, watching the ship sail away as he could not board?

On 11/8/2018 at 11:22 AM, PrincessBelle39 said:

I would have whatever medical information and permission to treat.  And honestly, while I was at it I would go ahead and get consent to travel with him. It is unlikely you will need it, but it is much simpler to just have it with you.  My not quite 15 year old has traveled 3-4 times internationally on her own and has not needed any specific paperwork getting through the airport/immigration/customs besides the normal forms.