Rotterdam in NY

msmayor

As we sailed under the Verrazano Bridge after leaving Cape Liberty around 4pm Sunday Oct 21st, I saw the Rotterdam headed UP the river, towards NY.  I thought it was unusual to see a ship headed to port so late in the day.  Curious as to what the itinerary was...

Rotterdam.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

She was going from Montreal to Tampa -- left Montreal on Oct 13.

She was there early because she had a scheduled stop that day a tender port (might have been Newport but not sure) and could not tender so she arrived in Manhattan about 12 hours early.

Roy

In 2011, we sailed Veendam from NYC to Bermuda.  One of the highlights of that trip was returning to NYC.  As the sun rose, it colored the buildings magenta.  When we started past the Statue of Liberty, that pink glow changed; golden light poured over the welcoming "Lady."  It brought tears to our eyes, and that entry into Manhattan is probably one none of us will ever forget. 

Thanks for posting this photo which reminded me of that cruise.

• Like 1

I lived in Manhattan for 48 years, and now The Bronx for four more. My home port is one of my two favorites world wide (the other is Venice).

Last summer we were flying home from Dublin and our plane gave us excellent views of two cruise ships in the bay, it was lovely.

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

She was there early because she had a scheduled stop that day a tender port (might have been Newport but not sure) and could not tender so she arrived in Manhattan about 12 hours early.

Roy

Makes sense now - lucky for the passengers, they could have an evening in NY if they liked.

We were on that sailing, and since Martha's Vineyard was cancelled, we got a late afternoon arrival in "the City". The EXC staff hustled and actually got two evening bus tours scheduled which were well attended. We walked into the city after dinner and had a lovely time! What a cool way for HAL to salvage a busted port day!