How to request RCL for special treatment for an occasion?

Seahawkie

Hi,

My whole family (all 22 of us) is taking our parents on an Alaska cruise next July for their 60th anniversary.  Is there a subtle way that I can ask RCL to do something special for them on this huge milestone celebration?   I've never done this before and don't know 1) if it's possible to request such thing, and 2) how to ask RCL without sounding demanding or entitled. 🙂   Any tips would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

That is a huge milestone, congratulations to them! 

Most cruisers will be celebrating something so this is unpredictible.  You might want to purchase a package or do something for them.

We had three birthdays during our last large family cruise so I picked up some stuff from party city to decorate their cabin doors and gave them pins, hats, streamers, etc.  

Edited by PhoenixCruiser
typo

6 minutes ago, Seahawkie said:

Hi,

My whole family (all 22 of us) is taking our parents on an Alaska cruise next July for their 60th anniversary.  Is there a subtle way that I can ask RCL to do something special for them on this huge milestone celebration?   I've never done this before and don't know 1) if it's possible to request such thing, and 2) how to ask RCL without sounding demanding or entitled. 🙂   Any tips would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.

The only person who is going to make this occasion special for your family is you/your family.  

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/room-decor

Congrats to them!  

Order a package, a bottle of bubbly or take along your special gift.  I’ve arranged wine for dinners and chefs table for my DH for his birthday next month.

As stated lots of people will be celebrating something. 

If if they like limelight be sure they go to the love and marriage game show.  They might be chosen for the game.

Honestly having their family with them will be the best gift!  Enjoy your cruise!

Yes there is. I will be celebrating a big birthday on my upcoming cruise and while I was talking to one of the RCL planners, they said that since I was celebrating a birthday they would give me some bottles of my preferred wine and decorate the stateroom. As well as do a cake in the dining room. 

So yes they will do something. You just need to reach out to them ahead and time and ask them about what they can do. This might vary depending on the ship. 

Happy cruising. 

I hate sounding cynical, but I have never heard of Royal providing stateroom decorations and bottles of wine - for free - to honor a birthday.  I have heard of them providing a small cake in the dining room when requested.  I hope that your planner comes through for you.

1 minute ago, vickiw0318 said:

I hate sounding cynical, but I have never heard of Royal providing stateroom decorations and bottles of wine - for free - to honor a birthday.  I have heard of them providing a small cake in the dining room when requested.  I hope that your planner comes through for you.

Depends on what sort of notice you give, if you actually talk to someone or just mention it in your account or something, what ship you are on, etc. And if they don’t, doesn’t matter to me at all. Would just be an added bonus if it does happen but it certainly wouldn’t impact anything nor would it be cause for a complaint if it doesn’t happen. But if you want to see if you could get something done for free, it is worth it to give them a call and see. It might not work or be done, but you can always give it a shot. 

3 hours ago, sh2738 said:

Yes there is. I will be celebrating a big birthday on my upcoming cruise and while I was talking to one of the RCL planners, they said that since I was celebrating a birthday they would give me some bottles of my preferred wine and decorate the stateroom. As well as do a cake in the dining room. 

So yes they will do something. You just need to reach out to them ahead and time and ask them about what they can do. This might vary depending on the ship. 

Happy cruising. 

Don't bet your paycheck on them following through on that.  But I hope they do

The best way to guarantee something special is to order something in advance.  We ordered decorations for the brother in law and fiancé for her first cruise. AND I reminded our room steward about it, to ensure the decorations got places that night.  If you order stuff, do follow up once onboard, to make sure they get done on the date requested, so there is no disappointment 🙂

Congratulations on their milestone! I think if you want something done you should plan it. I doubt they will do anything for you but it may be worth a try. Since you have 22 family members going it may make a difference. There are many people celebrating on a cruise so it would be hard for them to make it special every time.

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Don't bet your paycheck on them following through on that.  But I hope they do

Doesnt matter either way to me, I didn’t request it, they offered so I personally don’t really care much if it happens or if it doesn’t. I would say that if it does really matter to you, to be continuing to follow up or purchase something yourself. And of course there aren’t guarantees, everything depends on who you talk to, who is in charge of your stateroom, what ship your on, how busy it is etc. 

I’d rather leave nothing to chance and just purchase what I want in advance. While I hope sh2738’s planner (TA?) comes through, if you want to be assured something will actually happen, I’d arrange it myself and pay for it. 

• Like 1

I have to chime in with those who say you will need to make your own fun (which is actually fun in and of itself) Ten years ago, there were 14 of us traveling for my parents’ 50th, RCCL knew in advance, and RCCL gathered round the table and sang. Think about it: do you know how many people are on that cruise celebrating milestone 50 plus anniversaries? Each and every week?  I don’t blame RCCL for limiting the celebrations to singing.

On the other hand, we went crazy for decorations at the party storw, hung new ones on the cabin door every day and brought them to the table, and did arrange for the singing crew.

the one exception was my parents’ 52nd, when they were in a GS on the Grandeur. The steward learned of the anniversary and surprised them with a bottle of wine, rose petals and a handwritten card. He was the best steward *ever*, not just for that, Anthony. Wish I could remember his last name. But of course, they were paying for a suite.

i find it impossible to believe that RCCL is offering free celebration packages if you tell them far enough in advance; I think a travel agent is ensuring repeat business there.😉

Edited by elhenry

My wife tried to arrange for a birthday cake in Giovanni's for my birthday.  She scheduled it in advance, and mentioned it to the hostess when we entered the restaurant.  They still forgot.  As other's have said, with so many people on board, many people are celebrating something special every cruise.  Don't hold your breath if you're counting on Royal to make things special.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sh2738 said:

Happy cruising. 

Please let us know on November 23 how it turned out.  🙂