Holland in Tampa

Ofmyheart

The 2019 HAL itinerary calendar initially showed Rotterdam returning to Tampa after her European and Canada/New England season, starting on 27 Oct 2019, then departing Tampa on 03, 17 and 24 Nov 2019, and on 01, 15, 22 and 29 Dec 2019. 

Her "new and revised" schedule shows her in Europe until leaving Civitavecchia on 19 Oct 2019 and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale, not Tampa, on 20 Nov 2019. From FLL, she departs for San Diego, back to FLL and back to San Diego arriving on 07 Jan 2020. So it appears no more Tampa for RTDM or HAL after 07 Apr 2019

There has been some discussion that with Prinsendam leaving the fleet, Rotterdam schedule was changed to fill in.  However, now it seems Tampa has nothing for fall 2019/winter2020 which would be the first time since 1983 (35 years) HAL did not have at least some sailings here.  I'm still hopeful Seattle will "find" us a ship!

I got off the Rotterdam yesterday. The FCC said it was because the the area (Tampa/St. Pete) promised them a terminal on the other side of the Skyway. Those of us here know that the Skyway does limit ship size, however there are many of us that like small ships. I am hoping they will change there mind but i was told "we are out of here in the spring."

2 minutes ago, Ofmyheart said:

I got off the Rotterdam yesterday. The FCC said it was because the the area (Tampa/St. Pete) promised them a terminal on the other side of the Skyway. Those of us here know that the Skyway does limit ship size, however there are many of us that like small ships. I am hoping they will change there mind but i was told "we are out of here in the spring."

That will never happen. Cost too much to dig out a channel for ship to dock outside Skyway. 

Most of HAL ships can go under Skyway; Oosterdam was hear a couple of years ago

Wow we will be on the next to last Rotterdam cruise from Tampa , the Western Caribbean sailing April 7 ,2019 . However ,we will also have sailed Koningsdam , March 17th  southern Caribbean  before that .We are spending one month in Florida:classic_biggrin:

I know that, but that was what I was told on HAL. Not sure I believe it. I was on the O'dam when she came here from Rome 2 years ago and I think more HAL ships will fit here.

I think the main problem is that a study about 4 years ago showed most passengers out of Tampa are "locals" from the southeast driving in for the cruise and not spending money in the area staying before or after the cruise.

Also some say HAL is having trouble filling the Tampa cruises, we only had 1000 on board last week.

48 minutes ago, Ofmyheart said:

Also some say HAL is having trouble filling the Tampa cruises, we only had 1000 on board last week.

We were on Oosterdam last year and Rotterdam this year.  While discussing Rotterdam, she said: "Hopefully, we won't have as much problem filling a smaller ship like Rotterdam as we've had with Oosterdam."

The Rotterdam capacity is 1400 versus 1250 for the older S class, so that really doesn't make that much difference.  

We sailed the Oosterdam  the end of Nov 2016 from Tampa and it was full on that 14 day cruise.  Oosterdam capacity is 1900.

Sadly, there are always excuses or reasons to change, but with all the choices out of Ft Lauderdale, I think Tampa should be as good a market for HAL as ever.  

The Volendam is now doing the Panama cruise between Ft Lauderdale and San Diego, and it is not doing well judging by the low fares recently offered.  Perhaps the Tampa "senior" market doesn't spend as much on board, which hurts the bottom line.

Let's see; HAL has no problems filling Veendam an "S" class ship with guest capacity of 1,350 out of Tampa, but can't fill Rotterdam, a "R" class ship with a guest capacity of 1,404; that's 54 extra guests. Where do I get a TA like that? 

• Like 1

We would be disappointed if HAL stops using Tampa. We've sailed out of there twice over the past few years and enjoy the town and how HAL handles embarkation from Tampa compared to Ft Lauderdale, which we found was like a zoo. Plus HAL does the Central America ports in the spring from Tampa. Which we found more refreshing and interesting compared to the overly commercial Caribbean ports. 

I guess we'll just have to use another cruise line. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brooklyn Bridget said:

Tampa is so underrated as a departure port.  😢

Agree.  We really enjoyed the ease of getting to and from the port, plus the boarding and departure was easier than Fort Lauderdale IMO.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps one of the considerations for management’s decision is that the entire Port of Tampa gets fogged in at times, leaving ships circling out in the Gulf of Mexico unable to depart on time or return to port, even as long as 24 hours.  

I like sailing out of Tampa - we’ve made a couple of the Central America 7-day sailings, and one really wonderful 21-day transatlantic out of there.

I think the only other choices that will be left are Carnival or RCCL. I guess the fog hasn’t been an issue for them, so maybe I”m off base on that consideration.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

NCL was in on Sun when I was also, probably there for the season.

Tampa does occasionally get fogged in but really not often. Houston was a port that was dogged in all of the time and everyone did pull out of there.

I have cruised in and out of Tampa on RCL, HAL and CCL multiple times.....just saying I would hate to see HAL leave. I watch them all go by while sitting in my kayak....when I am not on one!!!

This is exactly why I booked my upcoming Rotterdam/Tampa cruise.  This itinerary was my best opportunity to get to Santo Tomas de Castilla and when planning for 2020, I didn't see this itinerary so I figured I better go for even though I had another cruise booked for that week.  I can always do the other itinerary.

• Like 1