5 days only 1 port?

jungrak9

Hello all! Hope I can get some advise from you!. I've never done any cursing before and planning my first cruise with my parents who are over 70 years old. I am considering Cabo San Lucas gate way by Princess but not like other cruises that stops few islands, this cruise only stops at Cabo San Lucas (over night stay) then back to LA.

1. I am afraid that only one stop could be too much plain. Is it better to chose other cruises that stop at more than one island?

2. This is 5 days cruise. Is this length good enough? Travel from Canada to the port so we want to make sure spend enough time on cruise. 

3. I am also considering cruise to Caribbean. I am traveling in late Jan or early Feb. Which region is typically better for the season? 

Thank you for you help!!

Capture.PNG

Pretty much. Takes all that time to get down (w/o burning too much fuel).  If your parents are not steady on their feet, bear in mind that the life boats (some like to call them tenders) may/will be used to load and unload passengers at Cabo San Lucas.

It gives you a lot of time on the boat and you don't have to get off at CSL.  Only advice is it is rather short given the hassle of boarding in San Pedro (check-in lines can be long if you don't have status or are travelling in an expensive cabin).  Also travel to and from Canada is not insignificant.

Depending on how much this cruise costs, it may be better/cheaper to wait until Alaska season.

• Like 1

January and February are great months for a Caribbean cruise. 

My recommendation would be a 7 or more days Caribbean cruise.

to reduce travel you can consider a Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ - might recommend - 8 or 12 days Anthem of the Seas Cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jungrak9 said:

Hello all! Hope I can get some advise from you!. I've never done any cursing before and planning my first cruise with my parents who are over 70 years old. I am considering Cabo San Lucas gate way by Princess but not like other cruises that stops few islands, this cruise only stops at Cabo San Lucas (over night stay) then back to LA.

1. I am afraid that only one stop could be too much plain. Is it better to chose other cruises that stop at more than one island?

2. This is 5 days cruise. Is this length good enough? Travel from Canada to the port so we want to make sure spend enough time on cruise. 

3. I am also considering cruise to Caribbean. I am traveling in late Jan or early Feb. Which region is typically better for the season? 

Thank you for you help!!

Capture.PNG

Also note that you arrive in Cabo at 1:00 PM on day 3 which means that you will not be on shore until at least 2:00 PM or 3:00 PM.  Then you leave Cabo at 1:00 PM on day 4 which means that you have to be at the tender port by 10:30 AM or 11:00 AM at the latest.  Unless you plan to not bother to get off the ship in Cabo which is not a bad idea there, that is not a cruise that I would take.

DON

• Like 1

I would say book a longer cruise.

Shorter cruises tend to be a more party atmosphere.  Probably not what most people in their 70s are look for, but your parents may be different.

And a longer cruise would have more of a balance of sea days versus port days.  And for your first cruise, you don't know what you will like better.

And it would also reduce the percentage of the trip spend on flying (time and money).

• Like 1

If this is a 1st cruise, all those "sea days" may be a bit much.  Some folks love the "downtime" of sea days...others don't feel the need for all that "relaxation" time.

We enjoy port days....researching your ports before you go helps with planning...and can save you money, if you find things you can do on your own, rather than booking excursions.  

If you don't want to get off the ship at any ports, that's fine, too.  But, it's nice to have the option!

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No way would I go through all that hassle of flying for a 5 day cruise.  Plus you may even find that you will have to fly in a day early and stay over at the end of the cruise -- more costs for hotels and food.

You really should talk to a travel agent -- one you can go and talk to in person.  If you live in eastern Canada -- check out Caribbean cruise for Jan/Feb that have more ports -- 7 day cruises -- ports where you can walk off the ship and explore them.  If you live in western Canada, you might consider waiting until June and go to Alaska -- lots of 7 day cruises out of Seattle and Vancouver. 

• Like 1

I would  choose  a cruise  with more days & more ports

either coast  will be fine 

You do not say what part of Canada you are in so the logistics of  getting to the port is  a consideration

Cruises from Florida  will have  more  ports  usually &  warm weather  sooner than if sailing from NYC

by the time you pay for flights  it is just not worth it for 5 days  IMO

be sure to fly into the port city at least 1 day early 

during winter months  maybe 2  days early  would be better  incase of any flight delays due to weather

Be sure to buy trip cancellation insurance/medical   preferably not from the cruise line

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Wow. I am very thankful that I've got so many helpful replies! I appreciate that! 

It looks like most of people don't like this 5 days & one port cruise and recommended 7 days cruise to Caribbean or wait for Alaska cruise. I've never considered Alaska cruises as to me cruise is sailing hot countries but many people recommended Alaska. May I ask why Alaska cruise is popular? 

Thank you again all! 

I would think the warm, sunny Caribbean in winter would be lovely coming from the north.  Personally 7 days is the minimum I will fly in for with at least a day prior to sailing to allow for travel issues.  Also know the Bahamas are not really warm at that time of year so my cruise would include more southern ports.  Good luck - it is a great family trip for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No way would I go through all that hassle of flying for a 5 day cruise.  Plus you may even find that you will have to fly in a day early and stay over at the end of the cruise -- more costs for hotels and food.

You really should talk to a travel agent -- one you can go and talk to in person.  If you live in eastern Canada -- check out Caribbean cruise for Jan/Feb that have more ports -- 7 day cruises -- ports where you can walk off the ship and explore them.  If you live in western Canada, you might consider waiting until June and go to Alaska -- lots of 7 day cruises out of Seattle and Vancouver. 

Thank you for your reply! I like your idea that wait for Alaska cruise from Vancouver. I live in Alberta so that will be easier to travel to the port. I looked Alaska cruise depart from Vancouver and the season starts in April. You mentioned wait until June. Is April not good to have Alaska cruise because of weather? I would rather have warm and nice weather on ship not Alberta winter cold weather. Also for me fly to Vancouver or Seattle will be same. Seattle to Alaska will be better than Vancouver? 

if you want to get away from winter   go in  Jan or Feb as planned

if you like cruising then maybe do Alaska  in the summer 

Since you are in Alberta  maybe look at cruises from the west coast

San  Diego, San Fran or LA   but do  at least 7+  days 

enjoy whatever  you choose 

Looking at the times you are in Cabo, the ship is there so that passengers can go ashore, hit the downtown bars, and get thoroughly wasted.  It's a party cruise.  If you are interested in a Mexican cruise, at least pick one that visits more ports.  (I love Puerto Vallarta.)

Alaskan cruises are popular because the scenery is fantastic. And because most of the ports visited are only accessible by ship or plane.

Holland America's Eurodam is doing 7 night cruises out of San Diego during that time period. It's  a much better itinerary. I would recommend going in mid to late January rather than February. February is more likely to see kids on board, especially the week of February 18/2019. 

Alaskan cruises are great too. I especially loved excursions to see black or brown bears. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 7.42.00 AM.png

Whichever cruise you choose, if you choose something in January or February, don't forget to fly to the embarkation port 1 or 2 or 3 days early. If there's a blizzard or ice storm and you can't get out of your home airport to the embarkation port, the ship won't wait for you and they won't refund your money.  I know Holland America sells their own protection plans which includes cancel for any reason, but I don't know about other cruise lines. 

2 hours ago, jungrak9 said:

Thank you for your reply! I like your idea that wait for Alaska cruise from Vancouver. I live in Alberta so that will be easier to travel to the port. I looked Alaska cruise depart from Vancouver and the season starts in April. You mentioned wait until June. Is April not good to have Alaska cruise because of weather? I would rather have warm and nice weather on ship not Alberta winter cold weather. Also for me fly to Vancouver or Seattle will be same. Seattle to Alaska will be better than Vancouver? 

April and May can be very cold and rainy in Alaska.  We did May one year and regretted it.  We much prefer June and July.  Alaskan scenery is beautiful.  We have sailed out of Seattle and Vancouver.  Sailing out of Vancouver -- the ships will do the inside passage -- beautiful.  Pick an itinerary that includes either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier -- lots of calving of the glaciers.  Princess and Holland America have sailed the longest in Alaska and both cruise lines have the most permits for Glacier Bay.

I see you are from western Canada.  A longer Mexican cruise is also an option.  As mentioned -- Eurodam -- has a great itinerary and she is a great ship.

You have lots of options to choose from.  Let us know what you decide.

2 hours ago, jungrak9 said:

Vancouver departures actually have better itineraries than Seattle departures. Also, cruises from Seattle can have rougher seas because they have to go out into the Pacific whereas Vancouver departures are protected by Vancouver Island and the Inside Passage. 

My husband and I are over seventy years old.  Neither of us would want to be on a 5-day party-type cruise that only goes to Cabo. In our mid sixties we took a 7-day cruise (can't recall if it was Celebrity or RC) that left out of San Diego and visited Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan Mexico.  Now that was a fun experience.