In the Haven vs. Not in the Haven

pliskin

14 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

None (so far)...

Even when items such as cappuccino have a price on the menu, we've never been charged nor have I read about anyone else being charged.

They did have one steak they were trying to peddle in June for extra charge on Escape in Haven.

17 hours ago, sargemrs said:

Since it'll be lunch time, I imagine the orientation will be given, then they'll send us to the Haven Restaurant. 

On our last cruise on the Getaway the Haven restaurant was closed for lunch.  Haven passengers were compted at Margaretville. 

We are on the Breakaway right now. We are in a Haven Aft Penthouse. This is our 5th cruise on the Breakaway in an Aft Penthouse. It is about 700 steps from the AFT to the Haven. The walk is good for us. We walk several times a day to the Haven. No decline in service. The aft is the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

After cruising on the Escape, Breakaway for several yrs, going on the Dawn in a few months. Although we are in a suite, we haven't been on a non-haven ship in a long time. The Dawn doesn't have a separate haven lounge, pool, restaurant. Where can I go on the Dawn for a quiet drink or private sundeck atmosphere equivalent to Haven?   

Been in a Suite in and out of the Haven.  Once, I was in my favorite cabin, Haven Spa Suite.  Spent an awful lot of time in the Spa...more than the Haven.

Didn’t care one way or the other whether we were actually “in” the Haven proper, or not.  I still hung out in the Haven bar and restaurant....talked to the same concierge(s) and butler.  Didn’t mind walking (actually preferred that so I could get some exercise).

On 1/12/2019 at 6:10 PM, dongordon said:

Is the Prime Ribs (end cut) still on the Haven menu (my favorite!)

Don:classic_rolleyes:

There is still prime rib but can't say if end cut - didn't take picture of dinner menu in June.  There should be some menus floating out there and I'll see what it says.

Have a great trip - you'll be getting on as MKing gets off.  Sounds like they are trying to keep the ship healthy although no reports of any outbreaks from MKing.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:10 PM, sargemrs said:

Thanks for all that info.  I figure the walk will be good for all of us.  Eating like we will be, we'll need something!  Since we're not into swimming or even "laying out" the walking to the Haven for meals and maybe relaxation if the Observation Deck is there, won't be too much, I hope.

After reading all your comments, my little team opted to book in the Haven, but now we're on a campaign to get our favorite friends to book the Aft haven cabin.    Our booking is veeeerrry far out, so we have months to work on them.  Lucky for us, we have a Panama cruise in 77 days, that should hold us over for a bit. 

10 hours ago, dexddd said:

There is still prime rib but can't say if end cut - didn't take picture of dinner menu in June.  There should be some menus floating out there and I'll see what it says.

Have a great trip - you'll be getting on as MKing gets off.  Sounds like they are trying to keep the ship healthy although no reports of any outbreaks from MKing.

Thanks...I've always had an end cut (well done) on the Breakaway as long as I requested it early in the day or the day before.

My favorite!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, dongordon said:

Thanks...I've always had an end cut (well done) on the Breakaway as long as I requested it early in the day or the day before.

My favorite!!

Sorry, the only way to eat Prime Rib is Rare or Medium-Rareat the worst.

Well done is nothing but leather.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, kitty-sail said:

After cruising on the Escape, Breakaway for several yrs, going on the Dawn in a few months. Although we are in a suite, we haven't been on a non-haven ship in a long time. The Dawn doesn't have a separate haven lounge, pool, restaurant. Where can I go on the Dawn for a quiet drink or private sundeck atmosphere equivalent to Haven?   

14 minutes ago, Texasramblinreck said:

Sorry, the only way to eat Prime Rib is Rare or Medium-Rareat the worst.

Well done is nothing but leather.

I guess you will have to hob bob with us regular folks in the steerage class.

• 3 weeks later...

All the Haven cabins are nice but what I like the most about being in the Haven (which only works on the newer ships) is the lounge-courtyard combo.  This is where people gather the most.  We have met wonderful people sitting at the Haven bar or poolside and made wonderful friendships.

We've been in a forward facing Haven Penthouse - tons of space and the biggest shower I've ever seen.  And the smallest balcony and noise from the crew bar late at night.  We've been in an aft Haven and it was spectacular!!!!!  We spent so much time out there.  And our butler was terrific.  Seka - she's the best.  We were booked in a 2 bedroom Haven on Escape in January but had to cancel due to family medical emergency so never got to see if we liked the Haven area better.  I wouldn't give up the aft balcony.  Disembarkation was great because the night before the concierge let us bring our big luggage and he stored them in his office so we didn't have to hassle with them in the morning.  Then down the big service elevators and out we went.  I can't imagine cruising in anything other than a Haven although the menu does get boring if on a 14 day cruise.  I think you can request the regular restaurant menu and see if there is something you'd like from there.  And I think they would make you anything you want if you give them advance notice.  Lunch on embarkation day in the Haven is a ZOO!!!!!!  We waited for hours.  Get there early.  We were a little late (always waiting for my youngest sister!!!!!!).  

I have done both.  Also, great suites on ships with no Haven.   Personally, I loved them all.  

Perhaps my favorite suite remains the aft PH on the NCL Sun.  Loved the suite and adored the huge aft verandah.  Two cruises in that suite totalling 25 nights.  

Epic's Owners suite is a very close second.  That master bed(room) and tub in the window.  

Proximity not that important to me as I like the walks. 

Edited by DMH15