In the Haven vs. Not in the Haven

pliskin

Hi gang, I have sailed inside the Haven a few times and loved it.  I am looking for people who have both sailed inside the Haven area and also sailed in a Haven suite but outside the Haven.  I am considering the Spa Haven Suite or Forward Facing Haven Suite and I was wondering if there is a drop off in service level from the Butler, etc.  Or any other general thoughts.  The aft facing Haven Suites all look great too but seems like I'd have to trek a mile to get to the Haven and would probably end up not taking full advantage. (sailing on the Getaway)

Any opinions on the topic are welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by pliskin

We have sailed only Haven 17 times but have done the Aft Haven on the BA a few times and are going again in January. We have never had any issues with service. The Butlers are wonderful. We sacrifice being in the Haven for the massive balcony ( we have confortably had 25 people on our balcony) . It is quite a walk but we are not going back and forth all day. Definitely love the room and the balcony. 

• Like 2

For me, I have done both. I have done inside the haven 10+ times and a spa suite once. 

Theres Something about being inside. The closeness and inclusion of everything is important to me imho. 

I feel like an “outsider” if I’m not there. Plus I love walking 40 steps to food lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, amscene1 said:

Theres Something about being inside.

That was kind of my thinking too.  Plus I've only sailed in the Haven on Jewel class so I have not had the private bar and restaurant and proximity to that seems like its worth it.  Spa Haven could work since its directly 2 decks below the Haven.

Thanks for your input!

The spa haven, at least on escape, is 1 flight of stairs.  I'd take it over Haven rooms all day, everyday. As it's on the same level as the pool and spa.  You walk out of the door, walk up a few stairs and you are in the courtyard, it's trivial.  It's cheaper, you get the spa access, and a spa in your room. No brainer to me. 

14 minutes ago, BNBR said:

The spa haven, at least on escape, is 1 flight of stairs.  I'd take it over Haven rooms all day, everyday. As it's on the same level as the pool and spa.  You walk out of the door, walk up a few stairs and you are in the courtyard, it's trivial.  It's cheaper, you get the spa access, and a spa in your room. No brainer to me. 

On the Getaway its 2 flights of stairs but still relatively trivial. Curious, did you use the spa a lot considering the Haven, at least on the Getaway it seems, also has a sauna/spa and two hot tubs?

We've done both and think the price point is better outside the Haven area.  This is especially true with the forward-facing suites on the big ships.  And, although the aft-facing suites are a hike, we're big fans on those cabins.  We've never had an issue with feeling like "outsiders"  or thought that our butler ignored us.  Also, we travel with friends often and would never hide away in the Haven when they're not staying there also.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked an aft balcony Haven suite las year on the Getaway.  Nice suite, but just not the same experience.  Found the Butler less attentive and as you pointed out, it is a trek forward and up to the actual Haven.  If you do decide on booking an aft Haven balcony, when you embark board using the forward boarding area.

We did the Haven Spa on the Getaway last December and a Penthouse and Forward on the Breakaway. I won't do a Haven Spa again. The room was too small for my liking. The service with the Butler was the same inside the Haven and outside. I prefer either a forward or aft.  I'm doing an Aft on my 12/8 sailing on the Bliss. I just like that the bedroom is it's own separate room.

I have never noticed a difference in butler service when we stayed in an Owners suite or a penthouse.  We definitely use the courtyard more when we have stayed in the actual haven however.  It is quite a trek from the aft to the haven proper.  

On 11/10/2018 at 8:12 PM, pliskin said:

Hi gang, I have sailed inside the Haven a few times and loved it.  I am looking for people who have both sailed inside the Haven area and also sailed in a Haven suite but outside the Haven.  I am considering the Spa Haven Suite or Forward Facing Haven Suite and I was wondering if there is a drop off in service level from the Butler, etc.  Or any other general thoughts.  The aft facing Haven Suites all look great too but seems like I'd have to trek a mile to get to the Haven and would probably end up not taking full advantage. (sailing on the Getaway) Any opinions on the topic are welcome.  Thanks in advance!

We have sailed in the Haven complex and outside. The best value for money is the forward facing suites. Bedroom with separate living room (a lot bigger than the penthouse suites in the Haven complex). Second best value for money are the Spa Haven Suites (we have sailed in these rooms several times). We find the Penthouse suites in the Haven complex small,,, and really don't want to spend more money for a bigger room. 

Yes, when we are not in the Haven Complex, we spend less time there. But show up at meal time to dine in the Haven Restaurant. 

If given a choice, we would pick the forward facing Haven suite. 

I've done both on numerous ships.  While I enjoy the perks of the thermal spa access, being in the Courtyard is much more important to me.  To be able to walk steps from your room to the pool/hot tub/bar is huge.

• 1 month later...

Related to inside haven vs not...

On port days, on the Norwegian ships we've been on, the lunch dining options are very limited... generally only O'Sheehan's and The Buffet are open and maybe 1-2 ala carte's like Margaritaville.

Noodle Bars/Main dining/Moderno Lunch buffet's are available on sea days, but if you have a port heavy itinerary - none of these options are available on port days.

So finally my question is - inside the haven, is the haven restaurant - open for lunch everyday, or is it also limited and only open on sea days for lunch?

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, amscene1 said:

For me, I have done both. I have done inside the haven 10+ times and a spa suite once. 

Theres Something about being inside. The closeness and inclusion of everything is important to me imho. 

I feel like an “outsider” if I’m not there. Plus I love walking 40 steps to food lol

I agree with everything you said.  I sailed a forward penthouse on Getaway and never thought I would be bothered to walk to the Haven, etc.  But it defeats the purpose of sailing in the Haven IMHO.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:54 AM, bam1957 said:

We did the Haven Spa on the Getaway last December and a Penthouse and Forward on the Breakaway. I won't do a Haven Spa again. The room was too small for my liking. The service with the Butler was the same inside the Haven and outside. I prefer either a forward or aft.  I'm doing an Aft on my 12/8 sailing on the Bliss. I just like that the bedroom is it's own separate room.

I'd be interested in a follow up now that your 12/8 sailing is done.   Do you mind sharing?   I'm debating an in-haven or aft cabin.  

On 12/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, Chuckabobo said:

Related to inside haven vs not...

So finally my question is - inside the haven, is the haven restaurant - open for lunch everyday, or is it also limited and only open on sea days for lunch?

The Haven restaurant is open to all Haven guests for breakfast, lunch, and dinner no matter which stateroom the Haven guest has.

We have done both the aft and inside the Haven. Loved both and we spent many a night at the bar there regardless of where we were staying. Unless you get really sloshed it is really nice to walk the deck toward the back of the ship late at night. Most of it is really quiet until you hit Spice.

I think it's all personal preference.    I never use the Butler.   As in never besides when they come around in the afternoon and leave goodies on the table.   I don't need the Butler hanging around.

Families like to be inside the Haven so kids can run from their room to the courtyard pool all day and unattended.    I like to sort of be away from that a little bit.

I love the idea of spa access.   Personally I'd do the Haven spa suite having full access to the Haven and to the spa.   

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, Traveling Fools said:

Booked an aft balcony Haven suite las year on the Getaway.  Nice suite, but just not the same experience.  Found the Butler less attentive and as you pointed out, it is a trek forward and up to the actual Haven.  If you do decide on booking an aft Haven balcony, when you embark board using the forward boarding area.

So your reasoning for embarking using the forward boarding area is to be nearer the Haven restaurant?

A group of us are cruising in Aft H6 suites.  I guess I didn't realize it's not in the Haven "proper" but has all the Haven amenities?  So we have to walk toward the front of the ship for the Haven restaurant?  Please give me more tips!

51 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

A group of us are cruising in Aft H6 suites.  I guess I didn't realize it's not in the Haven "proper" but has all the Haven amenities?

Yes.

I'm one of the people who prefers the H6 (outside) to the H4 (inside) but others feel differently.

Stateroom configuration and balcony size differs depending on deck so different people may have a different experience/preference even though they are all H6 staterooms.

51 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

So we have to walk toward the front of the ship for the Haven restaurant?

Yes.

It's best to walk to the forward elevator on the deck where you are staying then go up instead of using the aft elevator closer to the stateroom then go forward.

Butler service will depend on the butler, not the location. You might have a great butler in the H6. You might have a mediocre butler in the H6. It's luck of the draw as butlers rotate positions every 2 weeks or so. Usually, 1 butler serves all of the H6 staterooms so depending on what others want, there may be a delay. It's best to make arrangements/requests in advance instead of "on the fly".

Edited by Two Wheels Only