Just Want The Beach

Jessylynn

We are stopping at Coxen Hole and originally I was hoping for something to do around the port as it will be the 3rd port for us and my kids might be driving me a bit crazy by then (kidding...kind of!  After reading thru here it seems there is nothing to do with 2 boys at the port (5&9).  We decided not to purchase a day pass at a beach club because we want to check out West End a bit and hit the beach and have a little flexibility.  I am seeing taxi rates all over the board and finding a lot from 2016.  I am told by some that they can be a bit aggressive with rates and switching it up last minute. The Roatan website says one thing, but some posts say other.   What should I expect for a family of 4?  We want to walk around West End and then if I am reading right, my boys would probably love the water taxi over to a decent beach area?  Is that correct?  Thanks for the help!

Your title says you "just want the beach" but the body of your post says you want to wander the village of West End then take a water taxi to West Bay. 

You have the short version of taxi fares, I will give you the long version. Taxi rates are not regulated even if you hear they are XYZ there is no guarantee you will find a taxi willing to take you any place for XYZ. The locals get one rate, the expats get another, anyone with skin other than local color yet another rate and on cruise ship days everyone other than locals get a whole different set of rates. The rates also vary from where your journey starts/ends and if you desire a private or collectivo.  Also, if you find a random taxi to take you from point A to point B I can guarantee any taxi you ask to take you back to the ship will fleece you, they know you are desperate.  I highly recommend you sort out round-trip fare before getting in the cab and paying once you have been returned to the ship.  I have seen rates as low as $15pp and as high as $25pp. On the other end of the spectrum, locals can get from West End to Coxen Hole via collectivo taxi for about $2.  I can get the same rate via minibus which why I stay away from taxi the world over, they are all extortionists. :0)  I have a funny/scary story about a taxi ride from the center of Damascus to the bus station. Silly me, I didn't realize the bus routes changed on Sunday and was left with taxi as my only option. 

The village of West End has Half Moon Bay Beach. One could contact either Sundowners or Ginger's for loungers and transport. I understand the food at Ginger"s is very good. 

Or for the ultimate flexibility, you could hire a private driver. I believe them very good value for the money. The driver can teach you about his island and take you anywhere you wish to go. He could drop you off in West End to have a wander about then you could take the water taxi to West Bay for a bit of food and beach time where he can collect you. 

While I agree with Guest 2000, in heading to West Bay/West End is best from Coxen Hole.  I do recall that there was a recent development of a small beach resort next to the port in Coxen Hole with a flying chair/zip line from the port to the resort.

Forgot the name and can't find the link.  But if you plan on taking a taxi to West Bay/West End, you might want to see if this place is still there and suits you needs. 

On a couple of trips we have hired one of Victor Bodden’s Drivers for the day.  Once, while we had our teen aged kids with us, the driver took us to West End to snorkel Half Moon Bay.  She then dropped us off at a restaurant and went somewhere while we ate.  She then took us over to West Bay for a bit and then back to the ship.  I always like having my very own driver for the day.  Like Guest 2000, I am not a fan of taxis.  

Thank you everyone!  I know I titled it wrong 😜, I changed my mind while typing.  I personally love walking around little restaurant/beach areas while the rest would love the beach.  I have nothing against excursions however I hate the super short timeframes that we always seem to end up with.  That is why I am going for flexibility within reason with this town.  

10 hours ago, Jessylynn said:

Thank you everyone!  I know I titled it wrong 😜, I changed my mind while typing.  I personally love walking around little restaurant/beach areas while the rest would love the beach.  I have nothing against excursions however I hate the super short timeframes that we always seem to end up with.  That is why I am going for flexibility within reason with this town.  

West End is your best bet then.   Beach and shopping,strolling and restaurants.  West Bay has beaches with restaurants but not the shopping.   Taxi is probably easiest going, and hardest coming back.  So perhaps contact Victor Bodden or Rony and arrange for a driver with a flexible schedule, then you can  decide as you go.  Maybe drop some folks off at West Bay, others at West End,others touring the island if beached out. and meet up somewhere later with the driver,

1 hour ago, chong67 said:

How do I get on those $2 local bus? 

They have bus stop and easy to follow?

One can not walk from Coxen Hole to West End/West Bay. It is 20/30 mins by car. 

There is a mini bus system, one would need to walk into the village of Coxen Hole and make their way to the bus area which is off the main road. Last I remember the buses left every 15 mins and would stop to drop off or pick up anywhere along the route. This is not the quickest way to get to West End it's more like the scenic route. The price may have changed since the last time I was on the minibus but it was about $2 last I heard. 

The mini bus only goes as far as West End. If you wish to get to West Bay you'll have to take a water taxi from West End. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 8:06 PM, chong67 said:

Thank you for the info.

I found this good info about the local bus :  http://www.roatanisland.net/tourist_tips.htm

Ahh yes, I have seen this website before.. they are incorrect about paying the minibus guy with Lempira only. I have a paid with dollars heaps of times. You may not get change back in dollars though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a map to help.....  the island actually runs East-West, but the map here shows you the layout of the island.  There are very few paved roads, basically just the one that runs the length of the island, then a few off shoots.  Other roads are dirt and bumpy!  It is a long way on windy hilly roads from one end to other, so that determines a part of the cost of excursions...gas is not cheap.  

2014_Carnival_Roatan302-XL.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, crewsweeper said:

While I agree with Guest 2000, in heading to West Bay/West End is best from Coxen Hole.  I do recall that there was a recent development of a small beach resort next to the port in Coxen Hole with a flying chair/zip line from the port to the resort.

Forgot the name and can't find the link.  But if you plan on taking a taxi to West Bay/West End, you might want to see if this place is still there and suits you needs. 

We didn't see anything like that when we drove past Coxen Hole last week.  You might be thinking about Mahogany Bay.  They are nowhere near each other.  Coxen Hole is the older port in Roatan.  Mohogany Bay is a port area that was completely built and owned by Carnival and used only by their cruiselines.  They have the chair lift that you can pay for to get down to the beach.  I'm afraid of heights, so I didn't do it.  It's a LONG hike down to that beach.

7 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

We didn't see anything like that when we drove past Coxen Hole last week.  You might be thinking about Mahogany Bay.  They are nowhere near each other.  Coxen Hole is the older port in Roatan.  Mohogany Bay is a port area that was completely built and owned by Carnival and used only by their cruiselines.  They have the chair lift that you can pay for to get down to the beach.  I'm afraid of heights, so I didn't do it.  It's a LONG hike down to that beach.

I know about MBCC very well as we've been there several times. I think this place is where the old Captain Jacks used to be, just west of  the pier at Coxen Hole.  But have seen very little on these boards.

17 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I know about MBCC very well as we've been there several times. I think this place is where the old Captain Jacks used to be, just west of  the pier at Coxen Hole.  But have seen very little on these boards.

Think perhaps you are thinking if this Crew?

https://fortconsolation.com/

although Bodden claimed to not know where I was talking about last time I asked about it, so I am not sure what it is known as locally.

I am not sure there is a beach resort there although we havent actually stopped and explored. I have seen artists impressions of a large water park with activities to be developed around Coxen Hole adjoining the fort area but whether it will ever materialize I have no idea. 

For now there is very little to do in the immediate vicinity although Maya Kay offers a very convenient beach location and pool from Coxen Hole. Sol y Mar would be about the next  nearest beach.

Edited by c-leg5

On 3/19/2019 at 11:49 PM, PlanoDebbie said:

We recently visited Mahogany Bay. When you get off the port area, the shops are on your left, and if you want to get to the beach it is on your right. You can't miss it. We didn't take the chair lift as well, but we walked. The walk is definitely NOT LONG, as it takes about 5-7 min to get from the entrance to the beach. Beautiful greenery along the path, you won't even notice how long you are walking for. Now for the next run we are considering going to Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth hangout. Heard a lot of good things about it. It's a great change for just spending a day at the beach.