My quest for a long overdue Oceania change...

Flatbush Flyer

3 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

F. Flyer,

'If you happen to agree with me, please add a "readable name badges" recommendation to your comment cards and in personal conversations with the cruise directors/GMs/et al.'

Ever since our 3rd cruise I have made this very comment in every mid-cruise and end-of-cruise comment card.  I like to be able to call the people taking care of me by name, but I don't like to have to ask them.  I like the look of surprise and pleasure they show when I say their names, especially when I can say thank you in their language because I have read their home country name on their badge.  Sometimes, though, it takes a lot of peering and squinting to be able to get both the name and country while I am either being served, or waiting while the person in front of me (at the buffet) is asking for something or being served.

Other than that, I guess you'd have to put me firmly in the "Cheerleader" camp, as my wife and I love Oceania, have 8 cruises booked, and are planning our 20th.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Many Asians go by Americanized names when working with English guests. Li  or Rose are a lot easier to say or remember than their real names! I’d be careful broaching that tradition!

No, the name he put on his name tag was an Indonesian name, although that was not his official name. It was certainly not an Americanized name. If they use an Americanized name, it would be good if they put their official names underneath in brackets.

I remembered that because that staff really upset me , especially when all the other staff who serve guests on Oceania in my experience has been so pleasant and hospitable. I was made to feel as if I was an inconvenience to him and he made me feel so small. I do not wish to go into that in detail,  it was in the past (not that long ago though), but it was certainly on Oceania, and that staff was Indonesian. He used his Indonesian "pet" name on his badge. If you have an issue and write to Oceania head office, they would probably not know who that was because that was not the name he gave them when he applied for the job.

Edited by Gnoelj

DH and I have taken over 50 cruises, six so far on O  with one in March on Riviera. On any of these cruises, if I were uncertain about an employee's name, I asked. It always worked. I thought LHT28's list was very amusing. There is always somebody on every cruise who specializes in complaining.

It seems to be a tradition on CC to label fans of favorite lines cheerleaders. I get the impression that it isn't  always a compliment.  Yet, to me it is. I value the opinions of true fans very highly. They know what they like, and it seems to me that they like the right things, and notice problems. My husband and I discovered cruising by accident. We had to cancel a trip to Italy for medical reasons. Our TA suggested a cruise. I spent lots of time in my youth on a cabin cruiser and like life on the water. So does my husband. We clearly like the activity.

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Mary

53 minutes ago, Gnoelj said:

No, the name he put on his name tag was an Indonesian name, although that was not his official name. It was certainly not an Americanized name. If they use an Americanized name, it would be good if they put their official names underneath in brackets.

I remembered that because that staff really upset me , especially when all the other staff who serve guests on Oceania in my experience has been so pleasant and hospitable. I was made to feel as if I was an inconvenience to him and he made me feel so small. I do not wish to go into that in detail,  it was in the past (not that long ago though), but it was certainly on Oceania, and that staff was Indonesian. He used his Indonesian "pet" name on his badge. If you have an issue and write to Oceania head office, they would probably not know who that was because that was not the name he gave them when he applied for the job.

if you have issue  with staff you should take it up with management while still onboard

then you cqan point out the day & time  of the incident & they can check the work schedule

What if they are from India & have a very long name ?? should they get a larger badge  to be sure his/her name fits ?

1 hour ago, Gnoelj said:

29 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

if you have issue  with staff you should take it up with management while still onboard

then you cqan point out the day & time  of the incident & they can check the work schedule

What if they are from India & have a very long name ?? should they get a larger badge  to be sure his/her name fits ?

Americanized name?  What’s that?

OP here.

This thread is about the useless nature of the current crew name badge design and not what crew names are nor whether someone has pissed you off.

The issues are:

Can you (or anyone) easily read the current badges at a distance of more than a yard/meter?

What should a new badge design entail: font size/style; background color contrast; and perhaps a change in shape to uniquely reflect the Oceania logo?

Will you comment about this to senior staff in writing or in person?

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I really wonder why some people continue to cruise with Oceania  when

the food is too bland

the name tags are too small

the drinks are too small

the wine is not good

they miss most ports with no warning or compensation

the Captains  in some people's opinions  are not qualified

the top staff  do not talk to passengers

they do the  same itineraries

the menus are  the same  ..until they change things  then they are not good because pax want the same old things

the entertainment  is  not good

the shows are too late

dinner is too late ..need to start at 4pm according to some

& the list goes on

seems there is  no happy pax on Oceania

😆😆

9 hours ago, ORV said:

Are you new here? You only have 4 posts. Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

We just got into Charleston. No Poogan's Porch tonight. 

Hi Orv,

I guess no one pays attention to me..I did write Laura about the error in the number of my posts..and was told it should sort itself out..

no Poogans Porch?? Were did you go instead..we bet you missed us..

I guess the OP didn't read my post about talking to BB about the name tags..he said he will check on changing them.. (I haven't had much to do so solving peoples problems.here on CC...LOL)

How about you two coming with Stu and I on 12/7/19 for a week, LA to SFO and return to LA on Sirena..we can party in SFO!!

Anyone  want Dim Sum for lunch...the best in SFO!!!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
mis spelling

4 minutes ago, jancruz1 said:

Hi Orv,

I guess no one pays attention to me..I did write Laura about the error in my posts..and was told it should sort itself out..

Jan

your old ID  was just  "Jancruz"  maybe that is  part of the problem

hope all is well

Lyn

4 hours ago, jancruz1 said:

Hi Orv,

I guess no one pays attention to me..I did write Laura about the error in the number of my posts..and was told it should sort itself out..

I guess the OP didn't read my post about talking to BB about the name tags..he said he will check on changing them.. (I haven't had much to do so solving peoples problems.here on CC...LOL)

How about you two coming with Stu and I on 12/7/19 for a week, LA to SFO and return to LA on Sirena..we can party in SFO!!

Jancruz1

Hong Kong Lounge II. 3300 Geary Blvd., SF

Also, thanks for championing my name tag quest.

We're on that cruise too (Don and Lydia). So, if anyone has any questions about SF, let me know.

5 hours ago, jancruz1 said:

Hi Orv,

Jancruz1

We've looked at that cruise, but not sure of what our future plans are. It definitely looks like a good one. We'd love to cruise with you guys again. We're thinking about a big trip to Asia after our fall cruise.

We got into Charleston late and it was after 5pm once we cleared customs. We actually had Polo last night. We are going to be back in Charleston next week for 3 days so will get a chance to eat at quite a few restaurants then. 

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Hong Kong Lounge II. 3300 Geary Blvd., SF

That’s a pretty good one. I would add Dragon Beaux & Tong Kiang - both in that neighborhood.

However, the best Dim Sum in SF is Yank Sing. That said, due to its popularity it is always crowded and prices have gone through the roof. Now I will go there only for very special occasions as a treat.

47 minutes ago, pauon said:

My only thought about the OP is that I don't think Oceania employees should wear Disneyland name tags.

Please reread my original post. I specifically said "not" the Disneyland badge but, rather a new design that had a large readable name and contrasting background.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Please reread my original post. I specifically said "not" the Disneyland badge but, rather a new design that had a large readable name and contrasting background.

After reading 46 posts about  silly bloody name tags, some people have lost their sense of humor and can't find their happy pants.

Years ago I worked in Customer Service (ticket counter) for a major airline.  We had some issues with drugs being shipped (illegally obviously) and things got rather ugly at times.  My co-worker, who had an unusual name, was concerned about some of these folks being able to "track her down" from her nametag.  So, the manager said "use any name you want, just let me know so I have it on file should someone have a compliment or a complaint."  That makes sense to me as long as management knows what name is on the tag and belongs to who- problem solved.  And by the way- she chose "Liz Claiborne."  He was such a dimwit he had no idea who Liz Claiborne is- you should have seen the looks on people's faces when they checked their bags with "Liz Claiborne."  ✈️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, pauon said:

After reading 46 posts about  silly bloody name tags, some people have lost their sense of humor and can't find their happy pants.

Name tags are hardly silly. They are one important "face" of any hospitality company and the "cue" that often starts a staff/customer conversation. 

Further, Oceania is a company that places great emphasis on customer feedback. And, it's really quite difficult to share kudos and concerns if you can't read a name tag.

if you don't like the thread, why respond???

Edited by Flatbush Flyer