Day train trip to Blue mountains

Would appreciate help from Sydney locals. We are due to dock at 7 am on Friday 21st December and our flight to Melbourne isn't til 5.15 pm.

We have "done" Sydney itself many times so I was wondering about a train trip to the Blue mountains.  We haven't been there since before children and eldest is 40!. 

Not super fit so was thinking of train to central store luggage and just go up for the train ride rather than sitting at the airport for hours or ferry around the harbour and Manley which is our usual fill in.

Can we just get off the train and wander the little towns and if so which station do you suggest or stations?

We have opal cards bought a few years ago.  Do they expire?

I would want to be at the airport by 3.45 at the latest to allow for any hiccups.

My thoughts are a couple of hours each way on the train and maybe 2 wandering a town with lunch.  

Thanks for your help.  I still cant find my way around this new format very well.

Edited by Tara Jane

Just had a look at the timetable. This may help. These are just some times around your suggested timings. Trains leave Central at 09.18 - 10.18 - 11.18 -12.18 and take about 2 hours 7 minutes to get to Katoomba . Trains leave Katoomba at 11.14 - 12.14 - 13.15 arriving at Central in about 2 hours. I don't think I would leave it any later than the one leaving Katoomba at 13.15. You could then get the train from Central to the airport. I don't think your Opal card works on the airport line but I could be wrong. While I may upset some people, I think the most attractive stop before Katoomba would probably be Leura which of course is just before Katoomba but would be nice to walk around and have lunch.

Edited by joybook
addition

Hi Tara Jane,

If you go all the way to Katoomba time would be a bit tight. If you do, look in to the red HOHO bus for a run around the touristy bits. Katoomba is the best for views/scenic stuff. Leura is nice, but really very busy and pricey these days. To be honest it can be really, really packed on some days. The only other place for a short wander around with good cafes is Glenbrook. Not much to see here compared to Katoomba, but the walk up to the Painted Panorama is well worthwhile. There is a nice cafe there too. Your Opal card will get you all around and to the airport, but our fares aren't cheap! If I can be any further help, let me know.

Steve.

I don’t think you have enough time to visit the Blue Mountains by train and be back at the airport in time for your flight (let alone factoring in any issues you face with our very (un)reliable Sydney Train Service)

i guess storing luggage is the challenge but one option could be to catch the River Cat from Circular Quay and visit Parramatta on it - a nice trip up the harbour 

Yes thank you everyone decision has been made, we will just stay around Sydney Parramatta or Manley for lunch then to the airport.    Maybe next cruise out of Sydney will go up a few days earlier  and do the blue mountains.  We always go at least one day early to ensure we are there stress free.

2 hours ago, Tara Jane said:

Yes thank you everyone decision has been made, we will just stay around Sydney Parramatta or Manley for lunch then to the airport.    Maybe next cruise out of Sydney will go up a few days earlier  and do the blue mountains.  We always go at least one day early to ensure we are there stress free.

Good job, there are worth seeing.

5 hours ago, Tara Jane said:

If you decide to do the parramatta river cat ( there’s some lovely old houses along the river ) some of the cats will return you to kings street which is Barangaroo.very very impressive.

then there’s a walk tunnel to Wynyard station and you can go back to circular quay to get your baggage.