La reserve...changes ??

riandei

Just a guess, but I wouldn't think so.  The change you would be requesting is pretty extreme.

The menus are geared to the best wines for the particular dish.  They might be able to substitute chicken for veal --  but I wonder if they would want to bother.  Can't think of a substitute for beef unless you go vegetarian.

And if that's the case, perhaps La Reserve isn't for you.  With only 24 diners possible at a dinner, it doesn't seem to me that they would want -- or need -- to make changes.

I may be wrong!  Others will chime in if so.

Mura

17 minutes ago, ellbon said:

I did it on another line. A very large veggie dish.i ate half of each dish.

How is this relevant to OP’s question?

Many other lines do all sorts of things that Oceania does not do and v.v.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, riandei said:

We are looking to book La Reserve for dinner but i do not eat beef or veal.  Will they make substitutions??

thank you

Regardless of what they "would do", I would think that being the only one not eating the suggested food pairing would more or less kill the experience for you.

Remember, in La Reserve, all of the guests are served the same courses at the same time, the point being a discussion of how the various wines pair with the food.  

If you're eating something different, you'll be left out of all that. 

If I were in your shoes, I believe that I would just skip the meat dishes discreetly.   

• Like 1

Meanwhile I plan on asking for another main a day or two before. Many pasta type dishes work,with red. Gee, if you were allegorical to,a food item but wanted the dinner you would ask,ahead of time. Maybe there something that works  with red wine

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I have read  that others  had food issues  &  they had substitutions  made

Just be sure to have it noted  when you book

Thank you

5 hours ago, JimandStan said:

Regardless of what they "would do", I would think that being the only one not eating the suggested food pairing would more or less kill the experience for you.

Remember, in La Reserve, all of the guests are served the same courses at the same time, the point being a discussion of how the various wines pair with the food.  

If you're eating something different, you'll be left out of all that. 

If I were in your shoes, I believe that I would just skip the meat dishes discreetly.   

I get it...but we are traveling with friends and its an experience i would like to try with them.  Im hoping its just the main course thats an issue.  We will see.

I have seen them make substitutions for various courses in the past. Let them know we’ll in advance. They don’t substitute or change the wines however, so don’t complain if your pairing doesn’t work well. That big cab or Barolo might have been especially picked to go with marbling of that Wagyu Beef not with a pasta substitute.

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I have seen them make substitutions for various courses in the past. Let them know we’ll in advance. They don’t substitute or change the wines however, so don’t complain if your pairing doesn’t work well. That big cab or Barolo might have been especially picked to go with marbling of that Wagyu Beef not with a pasta substitute.

They seemed quite eager to please.

I have an allergy to a relatively common ingredient.

I always discuss in advance with waitstaff and occasionally a chef.

For La Reserve, I notified them in advance, prior to the cruise.

When we were served, they double checked that I was <name> and needed a special preparation with the ingredient, and it was then placed in front of me, for one of the courses.  It didn't affect the others.

I doubt this will be the first time they've dealt with this, these days.

We were a bit underwhelmed by the wine selections, but that's just us and "our thing".

The food was *excellent*.

GC

Perhaps the OP isn't understanding how La Reserve works?  It's not as if there is just one "main" course.  Technically there is, of course, and in our experience that is usually beef. But it's 6 or 7 courses (thereabouts) -- all small, but different.

And there isn't just one wine choice either.  Each course comes with a different wine, which may be red or white.  I don't think I've ever had a rose, though ...

If you look at the menus posted at the website you could have a better idea of what each entails, so that if you want to make substitutions (which if you don't eat beef or veal I'm sure you'd have to) you'll know which would be the better option for you.

It's a delightful experience but a very expensive one if you can't eat much of the food!

Good luck,

Mura

• Like 1

I have looked at all 4 menus for La Reserve.  If I am not mistaken, there is only one course in each menu that is either beef or veal.  So if you give the chef advanced notice, you will probably have a better than average chance to have your needs accommodated.  Even if it doesn't happen, you will have 6 other glorious courses/wines to enjoy and the entire experience is to be savored.  Go for it!

Katie

La Reserve is always an enjoyable evening and highly anticipated, even though we have done most of the menus a couple of times.

Getting a course substitution is easy with notification. Only problem I’ve seen is where one tried to change the complete menu to a vegetarian or vegan affair. Wrong venue for them.

I think you can cancel now.  They should credit your credit card since you've already paid.  If you have a TA you might be able to ask your TA to keep track of any reservations in case your friends want to book.  If nothing comes through, you could cancel then.  I think it's a requirement for 24 hour notice to cancel, so you're certainly safe on that score.

Mura

4 hours ago, riandei said:

Thank you all....sadly ive booked La Reserve and must have gotten the last 2 seats...our friends couldn’t book.  If they cannot get a reservation...can we cancel on board??

Your  friends could  call & ask to be waitlisted

You need  to cancel before 36 hrs  or you will  lose  the  fee I would do it at least 48 hrs  just to be sure of  a refund

20 hours ago, Mura said:

I think you can cancel now.  They should credit your credit card since you've already paid.  If you have a TA you might be able to ask your TA to keep track of any reservations in case your friends want to book.  If nothing comes through, you could cancel then.  I think it's a requirement for 24 hour notice to cancel, so you're certainly safe on that score.

Mura

We sail jan 2 dinner jan 5... hoping to wait....but will ask them to waitlist

thanks

1 hour ago, riandei said:

We sail jan 2 dinner jan 5... hoping to wait....but will ask them to waitlist

thanks

Another quick point-

If they are sold out this early, it may be possible to request that La Reserve be opened for another evening entirely.

We have done that, with success, in the past.  

Good Luck and Enjoy!