River Cruise Locks - Nighttime Noise?

Grandwoman

Thinking of a 14-day Viking Aegir River Cruise going through over 60 locks. Going through locks on the lowest level of Uniworld 10 years ago was an awful nighttime experience. Has ship technology improved or will that be the same experience in an Aegir lower level cabin? Thank you.

Take your pick, no locks then there is no control of the river levels as is the case on the Rhine and Danube between Vilshofen and Regensburg. With locks you can cruise no matter how low the river levels are, just look at the Moselle or Danube between Passau and Vienna.

• Like 1

I did a Uniworld Rhône River Cruise last spring. Did not experienced excessive noice when passing locks during night - most noise from the ships engine. Locks are different and some locks might be more noisy. Below a video from passing a lock - original ‘noise’ in video.

• Like 1

I'm a light sleeper and sometimes have been awakened going through locks although we never book on the lowest level of the ship. That said, it was always part of the experience for us and sometimes we'd get up to watch as we passed through.

One thing you might want to consider is a white noise machine (or app on your phone) or Bose SleepBuds. I find that they both help with screening out noise. Sometimes there is also some 'jostling' as you go through the locks so that may wake you anyway, even if the noise doesn't.

• Like 2

Going through the locks in daylight was fun.  All rivers.  Woke up a couple nights feeling bumps.  Kept curtains open so if awakened I could watch the walls, etc.  I like this about river cruising. No ship technology is going to make this better, so if it is a serious detriment avoid river cruises especially those with lots of locks.  We cruise on Viking mid floor. 

• Like 1

We were on the middle deck and definitely had some noise during the night.  If you are a light sleeper, I doubt there is anywhere on the ship that you would not notice at least some light noise.  I thought it was fun to look out and see the wall within inches of my window!

1 hour ago, Grandwoman said:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. We’ll probably be looking at upper level cabins. Happy & safe travels!

Just remember with the top deck, you can have noise from rails dropping and things being lowered as you pass under bridges. I find the middle deck, mid-deck to be the quietest.

Robin

• Like 1