John Heald announcement

jamon

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, cruzincat50 said:

More people are finding out that MSC will offer parity with other brands such as Carnival's VIFP program.  That's a heck of an incentive to give MSC a try in my opinion. We just turned Platinum on Carnival during our 14 day Journeys cruise.  The free laundry was nice, but I don't think I would need it on shorter cruises.  That is the main thing MSC does not have in their program. I can see where CCL starts to see some erosion in cruising loyalty if they don't do something comparable with their other brands.  People want to try something different, even if only to confirm their satisfaction with Carnival.  Allowing them to try out CCL's other brands keeps the money flowing to them.

Hi

I am not understanding you argument. 

You are suggesting Carnival Corp. should give Carnival cruise patrons some sort of inducement to try other Carnival Corp. brands. Why? If you don't switch brands, they have your money. If you do switch brands, it is very likely you will try another CCL brand anyway (just because they dominate the market) and then they will sell the Carnival cabin to someone else, preferably a new cruiser. They do sail close to full capacity, almost always. 

This loyalty program discussion on these threads has been going on for at least a decade. Personally I don't think it will happen as some are thinking. In the meantime, if you want to try another cruise line, try another cruise line. I believe the main reason MSC is offering a status match is because they were making an effort to break into a new market for them (the Caribbean). The offer does have strings attached. It is only maintained if you cruise with them regularly. Go ahead, try them. Go to the MSC threads, there are many there that enjoy that cruise line.

I have tried five different cruise line now, and nobody is forcing me in my choices. I choose based on price, itinerary, availability at the time I want, and ship amenities. I can't say that it ever came to my mind that I would choose one cruise over another because I would get free laundry. In fact if the choices were that close then I would choose a new experience over something more familiar, for that very reason. 

37 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I am not understanding you argument. 

You are suggesting Carnival Corp. should give Carnival cruise patrons some sort of inducement to try other Carnival Corp. brands. Why? If you don't switch brands, they have your money. If you do switch brands, it is very likely you will try another CCL brand anyway (just because they dominate the market) and then they will sell the Carnival cabin to someone else, preferably a new cruiser. They do sail close to full capacity, almost always. 

This loyalty program discussion on these threads has been going on for at least a decade. Personally I don't think it will happen as some are thinking. In the meantime, if you want to try another cruise line, try another cruise line. I believe the main reason MSC is offering a status match is because they were making an effort to break into a new market for them (the Caribbean). The offer does have strings attached. It is only maintained if you cruise with them regularly. Go ahead, try them. Go to the MSC threads, there are many there that enjoy that cruise line.

I have tried five different cruise line now, and nobody is forcing me in my choices. I choose based on price, itinerary, availability at the time I want, and ship amenities. I can't say that it ever came to my mind that I would choose one cruise over another because I would get free laundry. In fact if the choices were that close then I would choose a new experience over something more familiar, for that very reason. 

Argument is a strong word :classic_biggrin:. More so ,just a discussion.  

If they don't switch brands you're correct ,they do have your money with the exception that the ship fills with a ton of senior cruisers that spend less.

Diamond and Platinum cruisers over all spend less money than the new cruiser  .So Carnival makes less on that cabin which was blocked by a senior cruiser . So the incentive to offer benefits through the lines would actually benefit Carnival in the long run. Whereas the sister lines will sail with empty cabins ,why not fill them by offering established loyalty throughout the lines.  But like you stated it won't happen.  So all this conversation back and forth is a moot point altogether. 

Edited by BoDidly
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Argument is a strong word :classic_biggrin:. More so ,just a discussion.  

If they don't switch brands you're correct ,they do have your money with the exception that the ship fills with a ton of senior cruisers that spend less.

Diamond and Platinum cruisers over all spend less money than the new cruiser  .So Carnival makes less on that cabin which was blocked by a senior cruiser . So the incentive to offer benefits through the lines would actually benefit Carnival in the long run. Whereas the sister lines will sail with empty cabins ,why not fill them by offering established loyalty throughout the lines.  But like you stated it won't happen.  So all this conversation back and forth is a moot point altogether. 

What empty cabins?

The more elite brands have no interest in upsetting their loyal cruisers by overrunning their ships with riff raff.

4 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Because it's prime for the picking. Princess has more recent arrivals to the lower American middle class with delusions of grandeur. 

Actually find the passengers on princess to be most interested in seeing the world where many Carnival passengers want the drink of the day.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Actually find the passengers on princess to be most interested in seeing the world where many Carnival passengers want the drink of the day.

Stu when you want to see the world you need to get off a cruise and spend more than an afternoon in a port. You couldn't say enough good things about Carnival in your golf days here on Cruise Critic.

53 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Agreed. I find most passengers on Princess to be sophisticated travelers who enjoy the small things such as attention to detail.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Agreed. I find most passengers on Princess to be sophisticated travelers who enjoy the small things such as attention to detail.

I can certainly agree that it is a totally different customer set.  Not so sure it is attention to detail, or sophistication, but we have found different cruise lines attract different passengers.  Our Azamara cruise demonstrated that in spades.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I can certainly agree that it is a totally different customer set.  Not so sure it is attention to detail, or sophistication, but we have found different cruise lines attract different passengers.  Our Azamara cruise demonstrated that in spades.

How come you haven’t tried Princess yet? Now that you’re in Florida... you really should 🙂

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

How come you haven’t tried Princess yet? Now that you’re in Florida... you really should 🙂

We actually came very close a little earlier this year.  We had a small group that really wanted to go on a certain cruise that Princess had a good deal on, also got fairly close to piggybacking on a cruise we booked for two couples in Alaska next year, but they picked a date we had a conflict with.  It will happen, just to many things going on right now.....   We have two land trips over the net 4 months that will preclude any cruise activity, maybe later in springtime.  Nice to be able to jump on on when no airfare is involved......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

What empty cabins?

The more elite brands have no interest in upsetting their loyal cruisers by overrunning their ships with riff raff.

Well ,they let me sail on a few :classic_rolleyes:. But these days I'm more Riff than Raff 😀

• 3 months later...