Making Trip Insurance Decision

BOAZ5

I am looking at insurance policies through insuremytrip.com

I seem to be leaning toward a policy offered by Nationwide.  

Does anyone have experience with Nationwide?  Would you use them again?  

My main focus is on medical coverage.  Does anyone a range for the cost of medical evacuation while on a Caribbean cruise?  

Thanks

3 hours ago, BOAZ5 said:

My main focus is on medical coverage.  Does anyone a range for the cost of medical evacuation while on a Caribbean cruise?  

Thanks

Use them all the time. Paid on 2 claims in a row and just submitted another one this week (all port/itinerary changes benefit).  Great overall coverage on everything else too. 

9 hours ago, BOAZ5 said:

Thanks

I've submitted claims twice with Nationwide, no issues.

21 hours ago, BOAZ5 said:

Thanks

heard Nationwide has a plan that pays you if there are itinerary changes.

i would get that in a heartbeat since i take long cruises but it's not available for my state. 😞

i got Exactcare for $21 for my 20day back to back cruise this past sept.

$500k medical evac and $25k PRIMARY medical insurance.
just send bills directly to them instead of sending to your insurance, waiting for the benefits statement/rejection letter then sending the benefits statement/rejection letter to the trip insurance company.

havent filed a claim

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

insuremytrip.com is awesome, you can do a side by side comparison of pricing and benefits of multiple policies before you decide, they are all aaa+ companies so no fly by nights.   my favorite part is you can get  policy based on home much you want dollar wise for the whole vacation including air, hotels, excursions etc.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

For anyone who travels a lot, an annual travel insurance policy may save $$$ over purchasing policies for each trip.  We cruise maybe 6 times a year, and do 3 or 4 international land vacations, so the annual travel policy works great for us.

Do you know of one of these for USA residents that doesn't have a relatively low $$ limit AND doesn't exclude pre-existing conditions (for either medical care or cancellation/interruption)?

Thanks.

GC

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

For anyone who travels a lot, an annual travel insurance policy may save $$$ over purchasing policies for each trip.  We cruise maybe 6 times a year, and do 3 or 4 international land vacations, so the annual travel policy works great for us.

i just get evac only insurance.

$500k medical evac and $25k primary medical.

$21 total for a 20day back to back cruise.

so it's probably cheaper for me to get the insurance each cruise than an annual one.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:31 PM, JohnBoy in NC said:

Use them all the time. Paid on 2 claims in a row and just submitted another one this week (all port/itinerary changes benefit).  Great overall coverage on everything else too. 

Hi there, I have a question. Because of a post I saw in CC, I purchased the Nationwide Luxury Plan for my cruise in Jan. I am treating my daughter and her family to this cruise, so I purchased the insurance for all 6 of us. Low and behold a few weeks after purchasing the insurance I got an e-mail that our itinerary was changed. I contacted Nationwide and I have the claim form to fill out. I know I will need the final bills from us, and my daughter's family. I know I also need the original itinerary, and the e-mail that states the new itinerary. I was just wondering will they try and give me the run a round? This will be the first time I have ever filed a claim for insurance. Thanks, Cathy

4 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

Hi there, I have a question. Because of a post I saw in CC, I purchased the Nationwide Luxury Plan for my cruise in Jan. I am treating my daughter and her family to this cruise, so I purchased the insurance for all 6 of us. Low and behold a few weeks after purchasing the insurance I got an e-mail that our itinerary was changed. I contacted Nationwide and I have the claim form to fill out. I know I will need the final bills from us, and my daughter's family. I know I also need the original itinerary, and the e-mail that states the new itinerary. I was just wondering will they try and give me the run a round? This will be the first time I have ever filed a claim for insurance. Thanks, Cathy

I wouldn’t think so. This happened on my first claim...itinerary changed and we still cruised despite the change. Got $1250 each for luxury plan. Check came about 10 days after submitting.  Save everything including the credit card bill or check for final payment of the cruise (part of documentation requested). 

4 minutes ago, JohnBoy in NC said:

I wouldn’t think so. This happened on my first claim...itinerary changed and we still cruised despite the change. Got $1250 each for luxury plan. Check came about 10 days after submitting.  Save everything including the credit card bill or check for final payment of the cruise (part of documentation requested). 

Thanks

Make sure the coverage is for what you want covered.

Insurance of Medical Evacuation reasons

Trip Interruption cancellation

Make sure you are on the same page for coverage

All inclusive insurance covering air fare baggage luggage replacement etc.

Beware of too much insurance - coordination of benefits denials overlapping coverage.

Beware of coverage for existing conditions.

I think the biggie is the Medical Evacuation insurance.

NCL can offer you another cruise with or without discounts but the one time you

need to be medically evacuated from the ship that is what you really need to save the day YOURS.

Check that your TA or auto club etc. may have duplicate coverage under other riders.

Granted needing the insurance is not to be slighted or overlooked so that it may be possible

to return another day for another cruise without financial impairment.

Turning that page make sure the coverage doesn't disappear into the great void of corporate

innuendo - mayhem - red tape - denials so on and so forth.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:20 AM, fstuff1 said:

heard Nationwide has a plan that pays you if there are itinerary changes.

i would get that in a heartbeat since i take long cruises but it's not available for my state. 😞

i got Exactcare for $21 for my 20day back to back cruise this past sept.

$500k medical evac and $25k PRIMARY medical insurance.
just send bills directly to them instead of sending to your insurance, waiting for the benefits statement/rejection letter then sending the benefits statement/rejection letter to the trip insurance company.

havent filed a claim

You peaked my interest in finding medical-only travel insurance, so I searched for "ExactCare" and come up with the Berkshire Hathaway site with only comprehensive travel insurance plans that included medical, plus all the extras I'm paying for that I would rather "self insure" and save the 5 to 8% of the trip cost that those plans charge. 

I did find some other sites that were medical only, such as PatriotCare by IMG, but I was wondering what you are getting for $21 for 20 days. 

exact-care.png

On 11/22/2018 at 10:17 AM, fstuff1 said:

i just get evac only insurance.

$500k medical evac and $25k primary medical.

$21 total for a 20day back to back cruise.

so it's probably cheaper for me to get the insurance each cruise than an annual one.

So, I just did a comparison for a fictitious trip that I may actually take, a 6 day Pacific Coastal cruise that would cost us about $800 each with flights home. At tripinsurancestore.com I can get a GeoBlue Medical Only plan for $100k of medical for about $40 each. Trip insurance for the same amount of coverage, plus the other coverages including trip interruption, medical evacuation at $1,000,000 and lost baggage, etc., is $57 each. At those prices I'm inclined to go with the full array of benefits as saving $17 isn't that important to me. 

2 hours ago, fshagan said:

You peaked my interest in finding medical-only travel insurance, so I searched for "ExactCare" and come up with the Berkshire Hathaway site with only comprehensive travel insurance plans that included medical, plus all the extras I'm paying for that I would rather "self insure" and save the 5 to 8% of the trip cost that those plans charge. 

I did find some other sites that were medical only, such as PatriotCare by IMG, but I was wondering what you are getting for $21 for 20 days. 

exact-care.png

mine is evac only.

i set trip cost = $0

6 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

mine is evac only.

i set trip cost = $0

You may be wasting your money. If the policy goes up if you put $5,000 in the trip cost box, then you are almost certainly violating their policy and they can refuse to pay out. The insurance that changes price based on the value of the trip is usually valid ONLY if you insure the full, non-refundable cost of the trip (and they can refuse to pay out if you insure for MORE than the trip cost). 

True medical only policies do not change the price based on the cost of the trip. From what I'm reading, they charge based on trip length, your age, and the amount of coverage. 

Make sure you check with your existing health insurance. You may already be covered international.  Also, my AMEX covers evacuation and medical, too.  So I have no need to buy any insurance. It's worth looking to make sure you even need this extra insurance.

Another situation may be where your current medical insurance covers international medical and you only need evac.  You may want to consider something like GoodSam TravelAssist which covers the entire family for I think $79 per year. 

Edited by Cheezus