Catching a 10:12 flight after debarkation?

Joebucks

Considering you usually don't disembark until 8:00, clear customs, catch a cab for the half hour ride from port to airport, that will leave about an hour at most to check luggage, clear TSA and get to gate.

If everything doesn't go as planned , do you have a back-up?

It might be done, way too much stress for me.

one foggy morning could ruin your plans, sorry, I would never book anything that close, too many possible delays. We have Precheck and Global entry, usually used for international flights. There was a GE at the cruise port, but did not see it at the airport. 

NO WAY would I attempt this. 

Let's assume there's no fog (or other issue along the river) and you make it back dockside on time.  What if USCBP delays clearing the ship?  What if immigration/customs is questioning and checking everything?  Ok, you make it past those hurdles...now you have to get to MSY.  How's traffic?  Saints playing at home that day?  Cuz that would delay in getting out of there.  Is there a wreck along the way?  At the airport, how's security?  There are a number of things that are out of your control. 

I won't tell you what to do, but I wouldn't do it for these reasons.  But what do I know?

Edited by nchikk

Debarkation from the Dream last year was a nightmare.  Even if you carry your own luggage off, you will most likely not be off the ship at 8:00.  Even if you were to be the first off, here is the timeline:

• 20-30 minutes to get through customs
  • 10 minutes to get a taxi
  • 30-45 minute drive to the airport.

That gets you to the airport at the earliest at 9:00 if everything goes perfectly.  That would be the minimum time to arrive (even with TSA pre-check) for your flight.  

What is your backup plan?

there are reasons that flight is cheap.   I am a seasoned cruiser and no way would I even attempt that.  Ship pulls in at 8  gotta clear    them you go through immigrations and customs then get a cab    check in your bags  (at least 60 minutes before that flight so that luggage would need to be on its way by 9:12   (at 9:13 they will not let you checkit)   nope   just not worth it

I think this is suicide, and if it were me, I would literally be worrying about it during my cruise and thinking "gee, I hope I make that flight". I'm a worrier though.....but I don't think it's  worth it.  if you miss it, it could end up costing you more.  

Just got off the Fantasy Thursday morning. There was medical emergency in the early morning on Wednesday and we turned around at 3am to so a passenger could be medically evacuated. It put us 4 hours late getting into port. 

3 hours ago, jayscore said:

I agree with the earlier responses.

We have a flight booked for 4:00 PM next April. Yes, airports can be less than exciting, but it's worth the boredom knowing we won't miss our flight!

There are plenty of things to do without sitting in an airport chair for many hours. 

I’ve done it. Fort Lauderdale. 

We we had a 9:45 am flight. We made sure we were first in line to get off the ship (lined up at 6 am), and carried our bags off. I think we must have had a taxi from the port. We also have TSA precheck, and sailed through, arriving at the gate by 8:30. 

I agree, it’s risky. But I’ve done it. Make sure you have your trip insurance lol. 

53 minutes ago, coevan said:

There are plenty of things to do without sitting in an airport chair for many hours. 

You're right!

We usually find a tour or something for after, but couldn't find anything in our time frame yet...

18 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I should also mention I have Global Entry and TSA Precheck. Does GE apply to New Orleans port customs at all? I know precheck isn't the be-all end-all, but it has definitely helped in the past.

I checked into this as I am taking a cruise from NOLA and also have Global Entry and Pre-check. Only cruise port honoring the program is in Ft. Lauderdale. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2710

Do you have to be back home Sunday? How about a hotel and a day in the French Quarter and catch that early flight Monday? I don't know about New Orleans but I discovered that a hotel and a day in Miami was cheaper than catching a Sunday flight. That was most likely because of all the cruisers going home. Don't know how the prices compare in New Orleans but it's worth checking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I checked the post cruise flights for us and the prices were well over $300 per person.  We booked a room for the night and are taking an early Monday flight home.  Much cheaper in the long run plus we get an extra night in NOLA.

That's how we roll, a day early and a day after the cruise. NOLA is so much fun.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, Maplemoose said:

Do you have to be back home Sunday? How about a hotel and a day in the French Quarter and catch that early flight Monday? I don't know about New Orleans but I discovered that a hotel and a day in Miami was cheaper than catching a Sunday flight. That was most likely because of all the cruisers going home. Don't know how the prices compare in New Orleans but it's worth checking.

I didn't want to do this because we are already spending two days in NOLA before, but I might have to. There is no reasonable flight that is going to cost us less than $500 total, and take off before 7 pm.