Judging by the Edge photos so far...

compman9

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

Little things like the balcony chairs are a major error that would not be made by someone that had cruised - That was all I was really getting at. I suppose the surprising thing is the cruise line agreed to them

I agree with you about the balcony chairs.  You can't adjust the angle of the chair back and place your head on it to take a little nap.  I also don't know how comfy the back of the chair will be, but I will find out in a little over a week from now.

I found the "balcony" very tight...always had to constantly move furniture to open and close the folding doors...open the window...close the shade...or to try to stand by the window and look out. I also have a question as to what if you leave the window open and it rains....I didn't see anywhere for water to drain.

Edited by bajathree
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I found the "balcony" very tight...always had to constantly move furniture to open and close the folding doors...open the window...close the shade...or to try to stand by the window and look out. I also have a question as to what if you leave the window open and it rains....I didn't see anywhere for water to drain.

Good observation! I wonder if it rains, the ship uses the master control and closes all the windows.  I did read about a master  control on one of these threads...OMG there are so many.  

Edited by ecslady

36 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Do you have pics of cabin and balcony? Can you post please. We have bed by balcony in April and are concerned. 

Thank you

On 11/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, gottacruisemore said:

who says the designers have never been on a cruise? things evolve, as the demographics of cruisers change so must the industry. if this ship style is not to your liking there are plenty of other ships to try. why must a ship (or anything, for that matter) only cater to one group of people that like how something use to be.

i like the style of this ship, it's an interesting and fresh look. i like that even the art (read graffiti) lets you know this isn't "the good OLD days", but the exciting new future (or evolution) of the cruise ship. 

will i like everything onboard? maybe not, but i'm excited by the possibility and look forward to when i board.

Everything evolves with the times.  I expect passengers who were familiar with liners of the 20's were  jolted by the art deco of the 30's.  I know I am not a fan of mid-century modern, but the venerable QE2 was full of it.  Queen Mary (Hotel) in Long Beach is all art deco.  Watch HGTV...  always updating the classic to the modern.  Some of us would like to put it back...probably because it reminds us of those great times at Grandma's.  EM

44 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

Do you have pics of cabin and balcony? Can you post please. We have bed by balcony in April and are concerned. 

Thank you

There are lots of pics on CC now..just look at the closer to the Edge threads and there are numerous videos on YouTube if you just search for Celebrity Edge.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I suspect the chairs on the veranda do not recline because there is not enough room for them to recline if the folding doors are closed. Keep in mind that the veranda's are not as large as the ones on S class ships.

I Was  originally thinking of bringing a cheap fold up lounger.. but wondered if they'd let it on board or if it would fit..

Have decided to  suck it up and use the lounger by the doors with  doors and window open...

From  many of the photos the cabins look  a bit dark and dreary.

Can someone  shed light ( bad pun) on the in cabin lighting options including overhead light levels  , lamps, reading lights, bathroom night light,  etc ; and   the amount of natural light in general  that can  come in through the Veranda window..open or closed, ( obviously dependent on sunny  or cloudy and ship orientation)

I am hoping the " griege"  colors are brighter in person...seems like it us not a bright or happy beige!  

This may not be the right thread for this question,  but most of them are kind of loosely organized at this point anyhow!

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

There are lots of pics on CC now..just look at the closer to the Edge threads and there are numerous videos on YouTube if you just search for Celebrity Edge.

Also in Instagram #celebrityedge

Designer Tihany hadn't done any cruise ship design before he did the Solstice class and today he is asked to design a large number of ships and is liked by many cruisers.

Celebrity Cruises has for a very long time used designers/architects with no previous record of doing cruises ships. Main dining on Mercury was done by SheltonMindel (no prevoius cruise ship work done) and never heard any complaints on them. In fact this is the ships of the past many here would love to come back.

If Edge is what Celebrity Cruises promised us is a total different thing.

• Like 1

There is a lot of excited buzz onboard. Most I have talked to like the IV's better than they thought (myself included), which surprised me. I have been concerned about how well people would like them. It was a different experience to sit in an IV balcony, but a very pleasant one. Being able to see everything well below the rail was a plus. The chairs were very comfortable and no, you wouldn't be able to recline out there. I am beginning to think people may adjust to that new experience. The pool deck is so awesome that people may use their IVs as a very pleasant space to read and watch the ocean/port activities and head up to the pool deck for a lounger, if desired.

I also enjoyed leaving the bifold doors open and having a bigger cabin area (but I had bed by bath). I did find that I was moving the furniture to shut the bifold doors, but again, an adjustment, not a deal breaker. The biggest issue for me was not having a curtain to close in front of the bifold doors so I could go out there to do things while the DH slept. Luckily the light shown straight down and was not bright enough to wake him, but a curtain would be nice.

The storage is actually better than S Class, IMO - I do not like the overhead storage (I'm vertically challenged) and we found plenty of space for our stuff that was hidden away and easy to reach. A bathroom drawer or closed cubbie would be nice - I don't like to have everything out there.

The bathroom was otherwise very well-designed. The shower was large and the shower head wonderful. The toilet wasn't crammed into a corner as sometimes they are on ships.

The app and electronic control panel worked much better than I thought it would. I'm looking forward to learning more about utilizing all the features.

People onboard were generally in awe of what they saw. Did everybody love everything? No, just as it is on any ship. The difference for me was that this ship is anything but mundane. I loved the whimsy, the beauty, the surprises and just to feel something (even if it was something that didn't float my boat). I loved hearing people laugh or seeing them stop in wonderment of some new discovery.

The crew I've spoken with are in love with this ship - the pride is evident and they want to share it all. The Cartier salesman has some of the Faceless People outside his store and twice we had lovely conversations about the art on the ship, because I would stop to see my "Peeps". Mr. Edge by the RTG makes me happy every time I see him and he is a rockstar up there. Everyone stops and pats him and gets a picture with him. Eden is filled with the beauty as well as things I am not so sure about, but it is a beautiful space to hang out, IMO. The RTG is gorgeous and a lovely outdoor space. The 4 MDRs are absolutely beautiful and I've heard good reviews so far (we had a wonderful experience in Cyprus). Our biggest complaint may be the lack of small music venues (like Ensemble Lounge), but will reserve judgment - my DH was able to find some things he liked at the Club and in RTG. Much of the entertainment in the theater may not be our cup of tea, but we have never attended a lot of shows anyway. The new theater is amazing to see in action, even if the show isn't to your taste.

Last night, with the Martini Bar humming with music and excitement and Eden nearing its crescendo, the outside of the ship became magical, with lovely colors everywhere. We walked through the upper levels last night at 9:30 or so and loved the ambiance outside - it was quiet and beautiful, from the purple butterfly and softly lit pool to the soft blue lights of the Solarium and the beauty of the RTG lit up at night.

As far as Kelly Hoppen's designs, they have grown on me - the staterooms are restful places and feel rather elegant. I think she has put beauty before utility some of the time. The thick, gorgeous carpets are difficult to pull chairs up to the tables in rooms she designed. The cupboards/drawers/closet doors look sleek without handles, but are a pain to open, especially when new. She was on the ship this last cruise, I think, because I heard a media person talk about interviewing the designers yesterday.

I went to LLP's and Richard Fain's talk a couple of days ago and when asked about the theater show the night before being for the young, Lisa talked about every day will be different on the Edge - she said they didn't want to target just one demographic, she wants to have a broader target, so various venues/shows may not appeal to everyone on a given day, but likely some things will during the cruise.

We will see how things settle out. It is way too early to tell if this concept will be successful, but seeing all the excitement onboard (and hearing chatter in the elevator and at dinner), it feels like this ship will do well. I guess everyone has to decide whether they have seen enough to either pull out now or stick with it as the reviews pour in. Personally, I can't wait to get back on and discover more about her. 😊

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There is a lot of excited buzz onboard. Most I have talked to like the IV's better than they thought (myself included), which surprised me. I have been concerned about how well people would like them. It was a different experience to sit in an IV balcony, but a very pleasant one. Being able to see everything well below the rail was a plus. The chairs were very comfortable and no, you wouldn't be able to recline out there. I am beginning to think people may adjust to that new experience. The pool deck is so awesome that people may use their IVs as a very pleasant space to read and watch the ocean/port activities and head up to the pool deck for a lounger, if desired.

I also enjoyed leaving the bifold doors open and having a bigger cabin area (but I had bed by bath). I did find that I was moving the furniture to shut the bifold doors, but again, an adjustment, not a deal breaker. The biggest issue for me was not having a curtain to close in front of the bifold doors so I could go out there to do things while the DH slept. Luckily the light shown straight down and was not bright enough to wake him, but a curtain would be nice.

The storage is actually better than S Class, IMO - I do not like the overhead storage (I'm vertically challenged) and we found plenty of space for our stuff that was hidden away and easy to reach. A bathroom drawer or closed cubbie would be nice - I don't like to have everything out there.

The bathroom was otherwise very well-designed. The shower was large and the shower head wonderful. The toilet wasn't crammed into a corner as sometimes they are on ships.

The app and electronic control panel worked much better than I thought it would. I'm looking forward to learning more about utilizing all the features.

People onboard were generally in awe of what they saw. Did everybody love everything? No, just as it is on any ship. The difference for me was that this ship is anything but mundane. I loved the whimsy, the beauty, the surprises and just to feel something (even if it was something that didn't float my boat). I loved hearing people laugh or seeing them stop in wonderment of some new discovery.

The crew I've spoken with are in love with this ship - the pride is evident and they want to share it all. The Cartier salesman has some of the Faceless People outside his store and twice we had lovely conversations about the art on the ship, because I would stop to see my "Peeps". Mr. Edge by the RTG makes me happy every time I see him and he is a rockstar up there. Everyone stops and pats him and gets a picture with him. Eden is filled with the beauty as well as things I am not so sure about, but it is a beautiful space to hang out, IMO. The RTG is gorgeous and a lovely outdoor space. The 4 MDRs are absolutely beautiful and I've heard good reviews so far (we had a wonderful experience in Cyprus). Our biggest complaint may be the lack of small music venues (like Ensemble Lounge), but will reserve judgment - my DH was able to find some things he liked at the Club and in RTG. Much of the entertainment in the theater may not be our cup of tea, but we have never attended a lot of shows anyway. The new theater is amazing to see in action, even if the show isn't to your taste.

Last night night, with the Martini Bar humming with music and excitement and Eden nearing its crescendo, the outside of the ship became magical, with lovely colors everywhere. We walked through the upper levels last night at 9:30 or so and loved the ambiance outside - it was quiet and beautiful, from the purple butterfly and softly lit pool to the soft blue lights of the Solarium and the beauty of the RTG lit up at night.

As far as Kelly Hoppen's designs, they have grown on me - the staterooms are restful places and feel rather elegant. I think she has put beauty before utility some of the time. The thick, gorgeous carpets are difficult to pull chairs up to the tables in rooms she designed. The cupboards/drawers/closet doors look sleek without handles, but are a pain to open, especially when new. She was on the ship this last cruise, I think, because I heard a media person talk about interviewing the designers yesterday.

I went to LLP's and Richard Fain's talk a couple of days ago and when asked about the theater show the night before being for the young, Lisa talked about every day will be different on the Edge - she said they didn't want to target just one demographic, she wants to have a broader target, so various venues/shows may not appeal to everyone on a given day, but likely some things will during the cruise.

We will see how things settle out. It is way too early to tell if this concept will be successful, but seeing all the excitement onboard (and hearing chatter in the elevator and at dinner), it feels like this ship will do well. I guess everyone has to decide whether they have seen enough to either pull out now or stick with it as the reviews pour in. Personally, I can't wait to get back on and discover more about her. 😊

Excellent review Marilyn.  Although I had some issues with the Martini/Grand Plaza area we are keeping an open mind on our January 20th cruise.  My guess is the passengers will be a bit different from the TA/Press freebie cruises.👍

23 minutes ago, Oville said:

Excellent review Marilyn.  Although I had some issues with the Martini/Grand Plaza area we are keeping an open mind on our January 20th cruise.  My guess is the passengers will be a bit different from the TA/Press freebie cruises.👍

Yes, I forgot to mention that having a nice, quiet dinner in Raw on 5 or Fine Cut Steakhouse may not be easy, if the Martini Bar has loud music/crowds during that time. Hopefully, it was done differently for the non-revenue cruises and they will keep the place a bit quieter until the fine dining is done on the regular cruises. We are back in FCSH Saturday night and can't wait - sooooo good!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bajathree said:

Perhaps it's the color scheme, but the cabins look narrow to me.  Did you find the balcony wasn't as wide as the S-class balconies or is it the depth of the balcony causing the problem?  The cabins appear similar in width to an Oasis class ship, do you think that is correct?

Hi Vt

Hope you are feeling better

Enjoying your  balanced review

We will have an EV ( enclosed veranda), 

Bed by bath

Do you think we can just leave the bifolds always open ? Does the movable part of the window make npuse going up and down ?  When it is down,  I assume doubling the glass, how is the view out from the chairs?

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps it's the color scheme, but the cabins look narrow to me.  Did you find the balcony wasn't as wide as the S-class balconies or is it the depth of the balcony causing the problem?  The cabins appear similar in width to an Oasis class ship, do you think that is correct?

I found the cabin colors and furnishing very appealing...that they did a very nice job on. The "balcony" portion itself I do find smaller feeling and more confined feeling....I did not take actual measurements. The balcony doesn't have the same feel as a traditional balcony like on S class. The fact that the folding doors open towards the window is what's awkward....with a sliding glass door you don't have that issue as it doesn't take space out of either the balcony or cabin when opening. Also, the folding doors don't seal...so if you leave the window open and close the folding doors the "balcony" is not truly sealed from the cabin. I have a picture to explain what I am talking about. 

IMG_5278.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, I forgot to mention that having a nice, quiet dinner in Raw on 5 or Fine Cut Steakhouse may not be easy, if the Martini Bar has loud music/crowds during that time. Hopefully, it was done differently for the non-revenue cruises and they will keep the place a bit quieter until the fine dining is done on the regular cruises. We are back in FCSH Saturday night and can't wait - sooooo good!

That is something I also noticed....the specialty restaurants are much more open...they did't close them in which allows for ambient noise from public areas. Even Blu is divided by a mesh like decor "curtain" in the hall leading to Eden...not an actual wall. 

IMG_5356.jpg

Edited by bajathree
add photo

18 minutes ago, bajathree said:

That is something I also noticed....the specialty restaurants are much more open...they did't close them in which allows for ambient noise from public areas. Even Blu is divided by a mesh like decor "curtain" in the hall leading to Eden...not an actual wall. 

IMG_5356.jpg

Great photo!

I noticed the curtain instead of a wall right away.. we dine early but  I am sure the bar  and atrium will be filled with  guests by then..We hope we can get a table for 2 tucked in away from the sounds..and will not eat next to a mesh curtain anyhow!  

If  we hear continued reports of noise affecting FCSH..we will cancel our res..or try it once for a one and dine...kind of pricey for that, however!

Easy fix for BLU and FCSH..add glass doors   to keep the sound out. Wonder if Celebrity Official, if still in existence,  is reading posts to get feedback ?

On S Class the   loud  bar noise and music travelled quite far  thus  drowning out conversations even up at the Cafe Baccio . At times we just left for a quiter space... our balcony!

Edited by hcat

I think part of the problem is that the concept of the ship is an outward focus. So in theory you can see out side from everywhere. That was an issue I had with some ships...particularly Oasis Class... even S class... they cover all the windows...why have them. Now they could put up glass walls around the venues, but would that reduce sound enough?