Has Sorrento’s pizza improved? Or still as bad as the reputation?

I am happy to hear they are at least trying to improve the pizza but still, its too subjective.  I was less than impressed with Sorrentos my last two times on Freedom OTS.    To ME, Carnival has great hand tossed, freshly made pizza with real cheese and yet still some Carnivalists hate it and call "cardboard with ketchup" too.    Again, as pointed out just above, the comments really do run the gamut no matter what the topic is if its food related

6 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

I'm just glad I don't have to eat perfect food to survive. Must suck to be so disappointed in food all the time. 

I Love my simple tastes. I can eat pretty much any where.

+1.  Like I said in another thread.  I'm on vacation and my job is to enjoy myself, not nit pick everything.  I can find something new to try in every venue and never leave the table hungry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

can you still ask for your own personal pizza on the oasis class ship? 

Yes and no, they dont really advertise it, but you can always ask.  I've seen them cut a crust in half before making it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, starrcards said:

OMG, the OP opened Pandora's food box again!  No matter what the food topic (MDR, WJ, pizza, Jade sushi, etc.), the comments will run the gamut  of responses from I hate it to it was great and everything in between.  I thought Sorrento's  on Oasis last February was fine, a great foil for a cold beer.  Since most seem to think it's better, I look forward to trying it on Freedom in 3 weeks.  Wonder how it goes with eggnog? And yes, I'm also going to have the sushi in Jade on the Freedom.

Please do a full review of Freedom including Sorrento's when you return. Also, what is Jade?

20 hours ago, cruisenewb1 said:

As a Brit cruising from Sydney in January the overnight availability of food will be important given my inevitable jet lag.

It seems that Sorrentos is the main late night option but reading through forum threads it seems that it has become famous (perhaps notorious) for its poor quality.

Recently, however, I’ve seen articles suggesting RCI have putting a lot of effort into improving the product. Has it worked?

I havent' heard an update from Royal officially, but on Enchantment, they had signs up touting the quality of their pizza and it was much better than most Sorrento's pizza I had on the 16 cruises prior.   A definite improvement.  I  THINK they are rolling it out slowly, perhaps gauging reaction to see if its worth it?     I've always thought the design your own pizza on the Oasis class was good, and as for the rest of the fleet's Sorrento's.  Its ok if you get it right out of the oven, and not sitting on a try for an hour. 

Never had an issue at Sorrento's asking for a whole pizza on any Anthem, Harmony or Allure, often getting one every night. Hadn't tried on Liberty when I was there, and Grandeur and Explorer have no Sorrento's and I'd never want a whole portion of the stuff they called pizza on Explorer, anyway (though as I recall it appeared the Windjammer version might be what Sorrento's would've served if there'd been one, but I didn't have pizza in Windjammer).

9 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I havent' heard an update from Royal officially, but on Enchantment, they had signs up touting the quality of their pizza and it was much better than most Sorrento's pizza I had on the 16 cruises prior.   A definite improvement.  I  THINK they are rolling it out slowly, perhaps gauging reaction to see if its worth it?     I've always thought the design your own pizza on the Oasis class was good, and as for the rest of the fleet's Sorrento's.  Its ok if you get it right out of the oven, and not sitting on a try for an hour. 

I'm totally guessing, but perhaps the ships with the "new" pizza all show this sign that I saw on Enchantment.

imageproxy.jpg

Here's the way we explained it to each other on Oasis last week.

Before the 'change' it was clearly just bad, frozen, crap.

Now it's as if they went to their supplier and agreed to pay about 20% higher costs for slightly better ingredients and trained their pizza staff on how to cook it more to order, not burn it, don't have it sit out for hours, have it on a wire rack so it doesn't get gross, etc.

Now if only someone could train them not to put the hot slices on TOP OF EACH OTHER SO THEY ALL GET RUINED we'd be pretty set!

The only real negative is that it seems they took the 'make your own personal pizza' option away for all of this. =( 

Ignoring Explorer/Grandeur non-Sorrento's "pizza", it's quite obvious they've never been frozen pizza's; they've been freshly made at least for a couple years, if not much longer. 

Edited by dswallow