Bottles in porter checked luggage

poinsettiaplate

Has anyone had their porter checked luggage stopped in Princess' security area because they had large bottles of hand cream, aloe vera gel, etc, and screeners thought they were alcohol?  What about the one bottle of wine? 

This has happened to me on Celebrity so I always take the big bottles in my carryon.  They are just so heavy to lug onto the ship if I don't need to, but I don't want to wait until way after we sail to get my luggage either.

7 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

Has anyone had their porter checked luggage stopped in Princess' security area because they had large bottles of hand cream, aloe vera gel, etc, and screeners thought they were alcohol?  What about the one bottle of wine? 

This has happened to me on Celebrity so I always take the big bottles in my carryon.  They are just so heavy to lug onto the ship if I don't need to, but I don't want to wait until way after we sail to get my luggage either.

No. You hand over the luggage and don't see it again. They (porters) don't have the facility to call you back for porter luggage. If there is an issue with something in the bag you give to the porter then you would be called to security once onboard to retrieve your luggage and explain whatever it is they are looking at.

We have never had an issue.

At security carry on luggage is scanned. If they see liquids in bottles there may be an additional questions. Regarding wine the Princess policy mentions carry on. Any wine over the 1 x 750ml/pp allowable is charged a $15 corkage at a table next to security. 

Checked luggage is also subject to scanning. If something is suspected the luggage is held and you will be called to open it. It's just easier to carry these kind of items on. We always pack bottles of sun screen and never had an issue.

I always pack my own full sized bottles of shampoos, conditioner, sunscreen, lotions etc and check the bags dockside with the porters. We've never had any of the bags sent to security and have always received our bags in our cabin with no problem.

As far as the bottle of wine I think you would be best served to carry it on as the security guys operating the scanners would most likely think you were trying to smuggle it on.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

2 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

I always pack my own full sized bottles of shampoos, conditioner, sunscreen, lotions etc and check the bags dockside with the porters. We've never had any of the bags sent to security and have always received our bags in our cabin with no problem.

As far as the bottle of wine I think you would be best served to carry it on as the security guys operating the scanners would most likely think you were trying to smuggle it on.

Actually, you have had every single bag ever checked sent to security.  Every bag on every ship is inspected, at least via X-ray and perhaps via hand search.  Of course, finding nothing of concern, they would not have quarantined your bag and then called you to the area to account for what was inside.

4 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

You are supposed to carry on any wine.  The risk in putting it in your luggage is that it could be damaged, lost, confiscated, etc. I have no problem paying the fee for every extra bottle I bring, but I hate having to carry it on with me. However, I would be upset if something happened to my wine, so I will truck it along 🙂

I pack full shampoo/conditioner bottles, lotion, sunscreen, face lotions, etc and have never been sent to the naughty room to retrieve my things.

2 hours ago, cougaraz said:

Actually, you have had every single bag ever checked sent to security.  Every bag on every ship is inspected, at least via X-ray and perhaps via hand search.  Of course, finding nothing of concern, they would not have quarantined your bag and then called you to the area to account for what was inside.

I thought I was pretty clear. I meant on the ship not the security operating the scanners. But thanks for the correction... :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by hllwdcruiser

On a recent cruise the DW forgot and had one bottle of wine in her checked luggage.  We had more bottles of wine in a 6 bottle carrier that we hand carried and paid the $15 fee for four of the bottles.  Since we usually are the first to board, my checked luggage arrived in the cabin about 2 hours after boarding per usual.  DW's checked luggage did not arrive until after 6 PM and had been opened because they saw the wine.  The wine bottle was still there and there were no additional charges made for the extra bottle.  So we had at least 3 bottles of wine that had to be consumed in the cabin and 4 we could take to the MDR etc.  However we drink all the wine in the cabin on the balcony as we watch the sun set.  It is a ritual now.  As yet we have not been invited to the naughty room.  

I pack shampoo, hair products, and bath products in smaller travel sizes to cut down on weight.  For longer trips, more than one of each.  Princess lotion is pretty decent so I just use what is provided.  But I don't like the hair and bath products provided.

I would not trust a bottle of wine in checked luggage ~ what a mess if it broke!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GloriaF said:

I would not trust a bottle of wine in checked luggage ~ what a mess if it broke!

I had a co-worker who had purchased some rum in Puerto Rico and had it in his luggage when he flew back to the mainland.

At customs the agent told him there was good news and bad news.

The bad news: Because he had paid the Puerto Rico tax and not the Federal tax, he would have to pay the tax on his purchase.

The good news: Because the bottle had broken and spilled all the rum onto his belongings, he would not have to pay the Federal tax.