On the Seaside now. Impressions and answers

stoneman56

So now in San Juan. This has got to be the worst itinerary ever. 2 full days sailing to arrive at a port at 5pm to then be all onboard again at 12:30am. Then onto St. Martin  to land at 7am and back on board at just after 1.  

And to think when we booked this was going to visit the private island twice. 

The longer on board also brings up the fact that when they run out of something after week 1 they don’t necessarily stock up again the next week, or just pick some up when in any port. Unable to get some drinks first week and same agin this week. Staples like Moscato and Newcastle brown as well as anything to make an apple martini. 

Ok, nice review!...

Regarding those mini bar items daily replenished, me thinks that, apart from the YC, MSC should basically to follow suit with what is the current practice on most continental European land hotels. Basically your mini fridge will be empty or just with a courtesy bottle of water (generally one per stay) and they put a card on your bed at check-in day where you can fill what you need from them or advising the procedures to request, either from your TV or by phone or mobile app. AI drinks packages should be adjusted accordingly. That said, back in the day on 2 different occasions I was tempted to purchase something from the mini bar and then I noticed those were out of the recommended consumption limit date. Oh, well... I simply gave up on those mini fridges. I just go to the nearby bar and ask.

Have a nice day!... 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 8:23 AM, hlperez said:

Downey wrinkle release is not available in Euorpe, only in the USA.  Jealous!

If you come to US and hit up a Walmart or Target precruise, even a CVS or Walgreens, go to the travel section and they have small bottles for around $1.  

You can make your own; dilute some liquid fabric softener in a bottle with water. 

Hope you're having a lovely time. We're going on the Seaside in April our first MSC cruise, usually do Royal. Do you know what times the baby place is open. Not just when you can play with them but when you can leave them. Their web site just has the following times, which doesn't even seem long enough to eat your dinner

Available at the following times*, exclusively when the ship is AT SEA:
between 13:00 and 14:00 and between 18:00 and 19:00.

Any idea how I can pre book the speciality restaurants as online pre cruise so far all there is multiple package deals and not the restaurants we won't

Let us know if you do the Chefs table, Ocean Cay or Teppanaki

What are the shows like and do we need to pre book

Do you need to book anything else like zip line, bowling etc

Would be grateful for any tips, thanks !!

4 hours ago, Stich17 said:

Hope you're having a lovely time. We're going on the Seaside in April our first MSC cruise, usually do Royal. Do you know what times the baby place is open. Not just when you can play with them but when you can leave them. Their web site just has the following times, which doesn't even seem long enough to eat your dinner

Available at the following times*, exclusively when the ship is AT SEA:
between 13:00 and 14:00 and between 18:00 and 19:00.

Any idea how I can pre book the speciality restaurants as online pre cruise so far all there is multiple package deals and not the restaurants we won't

Let us know if you do the Chefs table, Ocean Cay or Teppanaki

What are the shows like and do we need to pre book

Do you need to book anything else like zip line, bowling etc

Would be grateful for any tips, thanks !!

Did Butchers Cut and teppanaki. Used black card meal for Butchers cut twice and if you are b2b you get a 20% off voucher for any speciality dining on the Saturday. 

Both meals were good but thought the teppanaki was rushed. We were only starting soup and he was preparing second course, started eating second and he was preparing third, Linda had to rush the food down

On 12/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, Scot born said:

I have had an iron confiscated before on a med cruise, so now I take some fabric conditioner in a small spray bottle, when on board mix conditioner with water spray on clothes then use the hairdryer and the wrinkles fall out and your clothes smell amazing. 

I tried that once - it didn't work for me.  I also tried hanging items in the bathroom during showers as I'd read that the steam can help - that didn't work, either.  I have Downy Wrinkle Release on my shopping list when in Miami in January for our Armonia cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I tried that once - it didn't work for me.  I also tried hanging items in the bathroom during showers as I'd read that the steam can help - that didn't work, either.  I have Downy Wrinkle Release on my shopping list when in Miami in January for our Armonia cruise.

Hoping to track some down as well next week.

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hi Bea 

how it worked for me was, I put the clothes on the floor sprayed with fabric conditioner mixed with water, put the hairdryer to max heat and dried and hay presto I had wrinkle free clothes, it never looks as good as just ironed but a lot better than wrinkles. 

• Thanks 1

Ok leaving today and started to get a bit jaded  by the end.

The buffet for dinner on deck 8 was atrocious, go for the sit down meals.

Trying to get a sun bed on sea days  in either South Beach or Miami Beach was a joke unless you were up and out by 8am. Then there was just a line of saved beds. There is a really easy fix for this. We stay in a resort in Tenerife where the beds are stacked, chained and locked. At 9am someone comes around and unlocks them. 

The itenerary for the second week was a joke. We paid in advance for sun beds and drinks at Holland House in St. Martin, it was all onboard by 1pm. San Juan was a 6 hour stay starting at 5pm. We didn’t get to Nassau until 1:30pm

On 12/8/2018 at 9:49 PM, DMH15 said:

Downey wrinkle release.  Five bucks for travel size.   Lay wrinkled item on the bed.  Spray and smooth with dry clean hands.  Aptly named. 

My DD recommended Downey so we have taken and used before as well. We were pleased with the result. and 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:56 AM, stoneman56 said:

Ok leaving today and started to get a bit jaded  by the end.

The buffet for dinner on deck 8 was atrocious, go for the sit down meals.

Trying to get a sun bed on sea days  in either South Beach or Miami Beach was a joke unless you were up and out by 8am. Then there was just a line of saved beds. There is a really easy fix for this. We stay in a resort in Tenerife where the beds are stacked, chained and locked. At 9am someone comes around and unlocks them. 

The itenerary for the second week was a joke. We paid in advance for sun beds and drinks at Holland House in St. Martin, it was all onboard by 1pm. San Juan was a 6 hour stay starting at 5pm. We didn’t get to Nassau until 1:30pm

The sun bed thing is one you would have appreciated YC for. We had no trouble getting sun beds.  The itinerary is a weird one for sure. I’ve been on another line where we didn’t get to San Juan till 5 pm as well. It must be a scheduling thing with different ships filling the port during the day. We basically walked off, bought a couple things at walgreen’s and the Polo shop and went back on board. St Maarten we did the Golden Eagle catamaran tour and absolutely loved it. First time in 25 years we’ve booked a ship excursion and it was great for a short port day. St. Thomas we taxied to Red Hook, ferried over to St. John and then picked up a tour for $25. That was an incredible day. St. John is stunning. Nassau is a throwaway port for me. Hate the place and normally don’t bother getting off ship there but my husband wanted a quick stop at Pirate Bay brewery so we did that and then hustled back to the YC sanctuary 😀

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 5:34 PM, Beamafar said:

I've tried the shower steamer and wrinkle releaser as well, with no luck. This time I've prebooked the laundry package "back home clean 20". We are going to send off all are wrinkly clothes day one! 

Currently on second part of b2b so on the strange port time itinerary. 

To be honest, we seldom get off cruise ships these days - far too many appalling yet expensive shore tours. 

We always go YC now - even in an inside cabin as balcony rates getting too expensive. 

YC excellent yet again. 

Do wish MSC would sort out the cabin bathrooms as sitting sideways on the toilet is a nightmare lol. 

Also for anyone overweight, I would suggest putting a bath towel in the sink and lather it up with soap. Then hang it on the wall inside the shower, camber in and just twirl around. It's the only way to wash inside the 2ftx2ft cubicle.