How long to disembark in Miami

amber1002

40 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’d take a more relaxing early afternoon flight out of MIA, then either catch the Qantas nonstop out of DFW ~ 7:30pm or fly to Los Angeles for the Qantas flight there. If an overnight was required, I’d do it in one of those cities so to break the long journey.

Thanks PinotLover - we are actually flying from Miami to DFW and are booked on the Qantas flight  leaving there on the 14th - just thought it would be good not to be stopping and starting, so if we could get to DFW the first day it would be more relaxing.

1 hour ago, HilsTas said:

We arrive in Miami on the final leg of the ATW next year.  Do we have additional immigration (being Australian) to go through in Miami?  I imagine the disembarkation will be pretty full on with everyone leaving, but I presume the ship wants us off asap.

I'm thinking about booking a flight from FLL leaving at 1pm - our other option is 6am from MIA the next day.  Is this doable without major stress?  many thanks

either flight would  work

Book the shuttle  from POM  to FLL  SAS I hear is good  & about $15-18 pp

You will usually be off the ship by 9 am  the shuttle plan on 1 hr  or  just use Uber 

• Like 1

We arrive in Miami on the final leg of the ATW next year.  Do we have additional immigration (being Australian) to go through in Miami?  I imagine the disembarkation will be pretty full on with everyone leaving, but I presume the ship wants us off asap.

I'm thinking about booking a flight from FLL leaving at 1pm - our other option is 6am from MIA the next day.  Is this doable without major stress?  many thanks

Hi Hillary from your Alaska mishap that went to hospital in Wrangell.

You will be fine leaving from FLL.  I assume you would fly Southwest to DFW as SW does not do MIA. We HATE MIA thus our FLL bookings from now on whenever possible. 

As Lyn has said SAS transport does a very good job for about $15-$18 p/p. They have a trailer to transport luggage.

I am just booking my flights for our March Riviera trip

Did you do the whole ATW cruise?  Deb

1 hour ago, DOJO466 said:

Hi Hillary from your Alaska mishap that went to hospital in Wrangell.

You will be fine leaving from FLL.  I assume you would fly Southwest to DFW as SW does not do MIA. We HATE MIA thus our FLL bookings from now on whenever possible. 

As Lyn has said SAS transport does a very good job for about $15-$18 p/p. They have a trailer to transport luggage.

I am just booking my flights for our March Riviera trip

Did you do the whole ATW cruise?  Deb

Hi Deb - good to hear from you!!! That was indeed an eventful day at Wrangell!  (I didn't take my eyes off you that entire boat trip back)

No, not the full trip - the last two legs from Rome to London and onto Miami.  We were just going to do the transatlantic but loved all the European ports on a previous cruise so thought we could manage to cope (easily) with some repeats.  Beside that - we get a couple of days in Bordeaux to stock up before the transatlantic.

I've booked the 1pm flights (thanks also for the reassurance Lyn) so if it all goes awol its not the biggest drama in the world to pay for another flight.

Will look into the SAS transport

Hope you are both well, and that we catch up again somewhere on the high seas.  

kind regards, Hilary 

We are disembarking Riviera on a Saturday in March.  Four other ships disembarking at Port of Miami that day including 3 huge mega ships. Deciding between a noon flight out of MIA or a 1:55. While noon is normally quite fine, in light of busy weekend day  would appreciate input whether I am reasonably safe with the noon flight (recognizing that "things" can always happen) or whether I really should book the 1:55 given the heavy weekend traffic day in Miami at both the cruise port and likely also the airport? Flight options are both American Airlines, but we do have TSA pre check and "elite" check in line access.

Edited by edgee
addl info

I think you should be OK IF you get a private transfer. Taxis may be in short supply - been there, done that :classic_angry:

That said, personally I would book a later flight and stress a lot less - especially as it would appear that you have a short flight home.

Edited by Paulchili

I agree with Paul get a private driver service

It could  be fine as Oceania docks at a different area  but  then again the taxis  may not  go to Terminal J  as quickly as the others

Or UBER  if you use that

Hello, LHT28. FYI, Terminal J was not used by Insignia for its last two departures from Port of Miami. Instead, she was in the same line as all the others, most recently  as Monday, December 17th. A Regent ship was berthed in the same spot twice a few weeks ago, as well. We live on South Beach, so we see the port whenever we go to Miami. We sail on Riviera March 6th. Perhaps she will be back to Terminal J,  but I'm not counting on it. Someone told me NCL will build a terminal on the order of Royal Caribbean's at POM. Maybe it will be where J is or was. Since O and R  are in the same family, it makes sense that all three lines will depart from the same terminal eventually. 

IMO, it is usually a good idea to have an afternoon flight from Miami. It isn't worth the anxiety as the moments tick by, and you are still on the ship. The airport is one of the worst in the world, and that doesn't help. It is particularly awful for domestic flights. On our last flight to and from Indianapolis, Terminal D, we walked long distances, took an elevator, escalator and a train. Signage is rare adding to the fun of the journey. The return was easier because we knew the route. and were able to assist a couple of newbies to MIA.

Mary

1 hour ago, warburg said:

Hello, LHT28. FYI, Terminal J was not used by Insignia for its last two departures from Port of Miami. Instead, she was in the same line as all the others, most recently  as Monday, December 17th. A Regent ship was berthed in the same spot twice a few weeks ago, as well.

well  I guess things change

we have always docked  at Terminal J  but last cruise out of POM was  a year ago

so since you live in South Beach I guess you know best

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I agree with Paul get a private driver service

It could  be fine as Oceania docks at a different area  but  then again the taxis  may not  go to Terminal J  as quickly as the others

Or UBER  if you use that

Thanks, all. We will go with the noon flight and pre book our airport transfer. Our usual go to limo company Larry's Limos wants over a hundred bucks with tip for the 12 minute trip to MIA...about the same as they charge when we use them to get to FLL from Port of Miami....Other suggestions, anyone?

9 hours ago, edgee said:

Thanks, all. We will go with the noon flight and pre book our airport transfer. Our usual go to limo company Larry's Limos wants over a hundred bucks with tip for the 12 minute trip to MIA...about the same as they charge when we use them to get to FLL from Port of Miami....Other suggestions, anyone?

I use John's car service  but usually can find  others to share  so the cost is same as a taxi 

1 hour ago, DOJO466 said:

I think for non Americans immigration comes onboard. You meet with them early am in the lounge. Lyn would know more on this

we  used to have to line up in the lounge at the crack of dawn :classic_ohmy:

but the last couple of cruises from POM  we just got off & cleared immigration like everyone else  after picking up our bags

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Better check with Lyn, but I think Canadians are Americans also!!!😂

I think they meant non US citizens!

Technically you are correct, but commonly used vernacular uses the term "American" to mean U.S. Good grief people, even the Canadian PM refers to Canadian/American relations, using the word "American" to mean U.S.  

8 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

I think for non Americans immigration comes onboard. You meet with them early am in the lounge. Lyn would know more on this

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

we  used to have to line up in the lounge at the crack of dawn :classic_ohmy:

but the last couple of cruises from POM  we just got off & cleared immigration like everyone else  after picking up our bags

Well, we are definitely non-North (or South for that matter) Americans.

Sounds as though either of the above scenarios would not be a major drama time-wise (??)  Does anyone have any more info on the process for Australians? many thanks

Well, we are definitely non-North (or South for that matter) Americans.

Sounds as though either of the above scenarios would not be a major drama time-wise (??)  Does anyone have any more info on the process for Australians? many thanks

I  am guessing it will be the same as any NON US citizen

Hopefully someone from Australia  will have recent experience & give you the answer

When we had to line up for the face to face in the lounge  there were Brits Australians Canadians  ect  all in the same line

• Like 1

Hi

we were just on board Sirena where our last port was Puerto Rico ,where we cleared customs there ( we are Brits BTW)

We were off the ship in no time in Maimi, you will find plenty of porters to help with your luggage and plenty of taxis lined up outside.

We flew British Airways home and they don't open their baggage check 'till 12:30.

• Like 1