You're late returning to your ship and it left. NOW WHAT?

fstuff1

13 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Did it say anywhere what date in April? We were on the April 30 sailing & we got an email well before the cruise saying time had been changed from 5pm to 3 pm, then many mentions of the departure time in the Dailies, etc.

It happened a week before your cruise (April 25th).

46 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Each to their own, I can't think of anywhere nicer to be stranded in the Caribbean, had a wonderful 2 weeks there 10 years ago.

Nothing against Cuba as I have never been. I'm sure it's lovely. Being that it is unfamiliar, I don't speak the language, and my currency is not pesos (as was required of the people in the article), I'd just prefer not to be stranded there...or anywhere for that matter.

Our tablemates on a cruise told us the story about when they missed the ship in St. Thomas. It was a fun adventure for them--getting to spend a couple of extra days on the island. They had a credit card to book a hotel room and flights back to the U.S. They did not say how much it cost. They ended up meeting the ship to collect their luggage.

We were in Curacao. The taxi we took back to the ship broke down by the side of the road!

I had my passport, credit card and several hundred US dollars with me but I still was in a panic.

Fortunately the cab driver called the cab company and one hour later we were back at the ship.

(10 minute drive normally but it would have been dangerous to walk).

That is why I never cut it too close if I am on my own and try to be prepared.

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Our tablemates on a cruise told us the story about when they missed the ship in St. Thomas. It was a fun adventure for them--getting to spend a couple of extra days on the island. They had a credit card to book a hotel room and flights back to the U.S. They did not say how much it cost. They ended up meeting the ship to collect their luggage.

If you are going to miss the ship in the Caribbean the USVI or Puerto Rico would be the best place. It's a domestic flight back to the states.

A year or so ago 2 people missed the ship as we were leaving Bermuda.  They must have sped to the other side of the island because a boat brought them out right where the pilot gets off and they got on.  A very noisy crowd was watching as they climbed back onto Breakway!       

We leave our passports in the safe and usually have a copy or pic of it with us.  Not sure what good that would do, although i would think having your passport # would be helpful somehow.

20 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Did it say anywhere what date in April? We were on the April 30 sailing & we got an email well before the cruise saying time had been changed from 5pm to 3 pm, then many mentions of the departure time in the Dailies, etc.

Michelle actually checked with the executives at NCL on this one.

https://www.elliott.org/blog/miss-your-cruise-home-no-refund/

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

A year or so ago 2 people missed the ship as we were leaving Bermuda.  They must have sped to the other side of the island because a boat brought them out right where the pilot gets off and they got on.  A very noisy crowd was watching as they climbed back onto Breakway!       

We leave our passports in the safe and usually have a copy or pic of it with us.  Not sure what good that would do, although i would think having your passport # would be helpful somehow.

I bring photocopies with us, too, which was helpful in getting back on the ship when my 15-yr old son lost his key card while on an excursion.

Just as an aside.  We were on a Panama Canal cruise last two weeks.  We took a ship's excursion (I don't always) and it was over 30 minutes past return time getting back to the ship.  The tour operator told us they had contacted the ship and of course the ship waited.  We were an entire busload of people.  My husband did not take the tour and had made several inquiries to Guest Services and the last one they told him that all tours were back.  That was obviously erroneous and  he told them so.  He was worried and upset but since it was a ship tour I had not been too concerned about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, riddle said:

Just as an aside.  We were on a Panama Canal cruise last two weeks.  We took a ship's excursion (I don't always) and it was over 30 minutes past return time getting back to the ship.  The tour operator told us they had contacted the ship and of course the ship waited.  We were an entire busload of people.  My husband did not take the tour and had made several inquiries to Guest Services and the last one they told him that all tours were back.  That was obviously erroneous and  he told them so.  He was worried and upset but since it was a ship tour I had not been too concerned about it.

I'm pretty sure I was in Summer Palace when your bus came in.  We had a table at the back with a view and I knew we must be waiting on a ship excursion.  

Every time I think about doing an independent excursion I read this type of story and decide to stick with ship excursions. The extra $$ is a form of trip insurance, knowing that I’m not going to be stuck.  Sure, I have credit cards, have a copy of my passport on my phone, but I’m glad I don’t have to worry about ever needing to use them.