Buying Liquor on the Personalizer

JasmineB

Is there any advantage to buying a bottle or two of wine or spirits on the personalizer?  I mean is it any cheaper than if I just wait to buy it onboard?  I do understand the water package is cheaper to buy in advance.  And it seems there are some buy 4, get 5 beers, but I don't know if that deal exists onboard either?

Thanks!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JasmineB said:

Is there any advantage to buying a bottle or two of wine or spirits on the personalizer?  I mean is it any cheaper than if I just wait to buy it onboard?  I do understand the water package is cheaper to buy in advance.  And it seems there are some buy 4, get 5 beers, but I don't know if that deal exists onboard either?

Thanks!

No advantage. It's the same price onboard via room service that it is in advance. 

Same for beer package, soda package,  etc.  

Water package isn't available onboard - only in advance..

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No advantage to pre purchase.

I agree, in fact there is a disadvantage as far as I'm concerned.

if you order beforehand on the personalizer, you think great I'm taking care of this and won't need to waste time onboard.... wrong, not only do you enter all your card data and time to place the order... but when you get to your cabin, you will just find a voucher, then you will have to call room service, wait on hold and then arrange delivery.

if you just order onboard, you skip the credit card entry and advance payment and save steps.

like someone mentioned, try could raise prices... but that doesn't mean they won't cancel all preorders and let everyone know prices increased and they will need to reorder at the new price.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JasmineB said:

Pre purchasing is your better option.  On Princess you do not pay the gratuity if you pre purchase alcohol and have delivered to your room from room services.  If you wait to purchase when you are on board, it is an extra 15 percent gratuity.

6 hours ago, Wulfwyn said:

Pre purchasing is your better option.  On Princess you do not pay the gratuity if you pre purchase alcohol and have delivered to your room from room services.  If you wait to purchase when you are on board, it is an extra 15 percent gratuity.

I don't believe this is true.  The advance price includes the gratuity.  Once on board the price from room service will be the same after gratuity is added.  Buckets of beer can be purchased from the lido pool bars but the price will be the same as from room service either onboard or pre-cruise.  Only water which is not offered on the ship but must be pre-ordered gets a cost break.  Onboard the water is sold by the bottle.   We always order the water for taking ashore as it is easier to carry and dispose of the empty bottle.  Sometimes we pre-order wine or liquor so we can get it the first day (call room service as soon as you get onboard). 

10 hours ago, Optotronics said:

I agree, in fact there is a disadvantage as far as I'm concerned.

if you order beforehand on the personalizer, you think great I'm taking care of this and won't need to waste time onboard.... wrong, not only do you enter all your card data and time to place the order... but when you get to your cabin, you will just find a voucher, then you will have to call room service, wait on hold and then arrange delivery.

if you just order onboard, you skip the credit card entry and advance payment and save steps.

like someone mentioned, try could raise prices... but that doesn't mean they won't cancel all preorders and let everyone know prices increased and they will need to reorder at the new price.

agree - why waste all my valuable time sitting at my home office desk doing all that going to pesonalizer, finding what I/she wants, etc, etc, etc - when I could be using all that time to read and respond to all these valuable/informative threads on CC !! :classic_biggrin: :classic_wink:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

I've heard that you may not get what you want if you wait til you're on board. I always order ahead of time.

Sometimes you don't get what you wanted even when you DO order and pay in advance! 

We sailed CP transatlantic last Sept and ordered Crown Royal in advance.  Upon boarding there was a card noting the order in our room.  We had to call room service to have it delivered.  Upon doing so, we were advised that they were sold out of Crown Royal.  What?  We "reserved" a bottle by ordering and paying in advance.  Negative.  We could choose another option, but no Crown Royal.