Our Captain's guide to Charleston SC

BBMacLaird

Captain Johannes Tysse, master of the Azamara Journey, has given a lovely interview on the upcoming voyage 11-Night Bermuda and the Old South.  This unique voyage sails round-trip 4/10/19 from New York and spends two nights in Charleston South Carolina, as well as two nights in Hamilton Bermuda. And to top it off, the person at the helm sailing to his home base of Charleston will be Capt. Johannes! In the below linked interview he tells us about his favorite things to do in Charleston, where to eat, places he believes history buffs will enjoy, and his top three 'non-touristy' must-dos. 

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/captains-guide-charleston-south-carolina

Let me know what you think of the article. And if you have been to Charleston SC or Hamilton Bermuda, what recommendations do you have for what to do, where to go, what to eat there?

• Like 1

Hi Bonnie,:classic_smile: I read that on the other thread...….very interesting thoughts and observations.  I have been to both places before and will be sailing with Azamara for the first time on this itinerary.  Looking forward to seeing what Azamara is about and to visiting both places again as well.

I got error message.

lunch 82 Queen

dinner Charleston Place

breakfast..a. Offer bar on Meeting

if a walker leave ship turn left and walk to the battery and keep walking

until you are tired and then come bs k to ship. You will see. Fort Sumpter and lovely houses. 

Hi Bonnie, have a question for you.  This cruise sails out of Manhattan.  Would you know the Pier # ?  It is my first time sailing out of NYC and would love to know the logistics.

Thanks so much.:classic_smile:

On 12/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Bonnie, have a question for you.  This cruise sails out of Manhattan.  Would you know the Pier # ?  It is my first time sailing out of NYC and would love to know the logistics.

On 12/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, Lois R said:

Check NJ as we never have sailed out of the. City 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:47 AM, Lois R said:

Hi LoisR, I will see if I can find out for you.

4 hours ago, ellbon said:

Check NJ as we never have sailed out of the. City 

Huh? We sail out of New York for this cruise.  I have sailed from New Jersey many times over the years and this cruise says the ship sails from Manhattan.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:47 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Lois R, here's what I've learned:

We will be at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal for both April 10 and April 21, 2019 at either Pier 88 or Pier 90 which are right next to each other.  The terminal occupies the West Side of 12th Avenue between 46th and 54th streets.

image002.jpg

You'll have no trouble finding the ship.  When I was in Manhattan recently, our ship (MS Fram) changed berths, between these berths, during an overnight stay.  

I enjoyed the Captain's Guide to Charleston, SC.  I walked all day, just exploring, during a recent port visit of this beautiful southern city, which is well worth a longer stay. 

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

Wow just looked at prices on this cruise and they have really dropped. What a great deal. I only wish I could book it but I am going to France at that time. But anyone looking for a great deal should check it out as well as the following TA.

goes to show that there are some excellent deals to be had if you have flexibility.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:13 PM, ellbon said:

WellthT a first as fRas I know for sailout.  We rRdock in the NE and I thought Jersery 

Robin we sailed  into NY in April of 2012 on the Quest docking  at the  Manhattan pier (right next to the naval museum ) The Quest  then sailed out  for the Titanic memorial cruise. Don’t know if Journey has sailed in or out of NY though.

54 minutes ago, munch1 said:

Robin we sailed  into NY in April of 2012 on the Quest docking  at the  Manhattan pier (right next to the naval museum ) The Quest  then sailed out  for the Titanic memorial cruise. Don’t know if Journey has sailed in or out of NY though.

She returned to the same pier after the Titanic cruise and then we sailed on the Transatlantic to Rouen France, 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, MMDown Under said:

You'll have no trouble finding the ship.  When I was in Manhattan recently, our ship (MS Fram) changed berths, between these berths, during an overnight stay.  

I enjoyed the Captain's Guide to Charleston, SC.  I walked all day, just exploring, during a recent port visit of this beautiful southern city, which is well worth a longer stay. 

Thanks! I love Charleston and have visited multiple times over the years but it has been a while so I am very much looking forward to this trip:classic_biggrin: